who uses offset stabilizers?

sk1

WKR
i was looking at b-stingers adjustable sidebar for stabilizers......i leave my quiver (tightspot) on my bow when shooting. for you guys that use them did you feel like it made a difference? i havent read much about them but assume the idea is to help possible hand torque because of one side of the bow being heavier?

lets hear some thoughts!

edit: this post is referring to hunting bows, so im not talking any huge crazy offset type stuff

6t4nova

WKR
I started using on this year. So far I am loving it. I have noticed that with the offset bar, when I draw back my 3rd axis is leveled without me even looking at it. It adds a little extra weight, but for me it has been well worth it.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
i usually take my stabilizer off when transporting the bow in the truck, can you really tighten the bracket down good to stay put? i would think if it turns a little this way or that everytime i take the stab off, could slightly hurt consistency?

6t4nova

WKR
I am using a Bernie's set up with quick disconnects on both the front and rear stabs. Works great and doesn't move one bit.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use a 10" out front with 8oz and a 6" out the side with 6oz. I don't use them to get rid of torque and I don't think they will do that for you. I use mine to help balance the bow and tighten sight picture. I adjusted the weight on sidebar and the angle until it leveled my sight bubble as soon as I drew my bow back. So now, I just glance at my bubble to verify and go into my shot sequence.

If by eliminating torque, you mean, fighting to get your bubble level, than I guess it could do that for you.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
i mean i dont feel like the weight of the quiver makes me torque the bow, but it would make sense to me that it could slightly force a torque in that direction, or force you to lean that way a bit.....just curious if people that tried an offset stabilizer really feel they noticed a difference.....i dont feel like i have any issues with hand torque or at least not a significant one im sure everyone has it to some extent. i was just thinking an offset stabilizer to try and have a near perfectly balanced bow could only help and not hurt anything, considering giving it a try on my new bow this season

c5mrr270

WKR
I have a doinker tactical one my hoyt alpha burner and really like it. It has a lot of different options for setup plus you can add or remove weights on the front or back. The doinker also does a good job of removing vibration. I know people will say that's not what a stabilizer is for but it is definitely a bonus.

I tried a nice Stokerized stab with an offset with my AM32 and Tightspot. To be honest, I didn't feel like it made a difference. I ended up just selling it and putting a cheap Limb Saver...but when I go backcountry hunting, I even take that off.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Gotta have balance to shoot your best - I don't hunt without a side stabilizer of some sort. I don't think the brand matters much - you may even need to mix and match weights to get it to balance better, but it's worth the extra weight. You will almost never see a professional target archer without a side stabilizer. For the bowhunter, not only does it shoot better, but a well balanced bow that weighs 6 pounds feels lighter at the end of the day than a poorly blanced lighter bow. Some people don't get this concept, but I say I would much rather carry two buckets with 3 gallons of water each (one in each hand) than a single bucket with 5 gallons.
With a well balanced side stabilizer setup you get the following advantages:

1.) Less torque (bow is usually closer to level and requires less input to get it level and no effort to keep it there).
2.) Aim steadier (less muscle required to fight the bow to level and keep it there)
3.) Better left/right groups (less torque, slightly quicker shot process, level stays level through the shot)
4.) A lighter wallet for hiking because now you gotta go get a sidekick stabilizer!

Coop

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
Coop loved every bit of your post except number 4! Great input, thanks

Have any recommendations to consider looking at for a hunting bow?

J-Daddy

WKR
I've shot a lot of side bar setups....For me I like something like the B-Stinger setup "like a mini target rig".
I've shot the Doinker Tactical and Fuse Sidekick a lot...Doinker actually sent me a Tactical to field test in 2011 before they hit the market...It's a good concept in theory but it's just hard to get it to balance just right for me and the weights and different length bars for it are crazy high...If you played around with it a lot and tried different weight & length combos you would have way over $200 in it in no time.
I like the B-Stinger setup, the strong arm side bar mount is extremely adjustable and you can easily add or subtract weight from them.