Who uses Sleeping bag liners?

I just wear layers as necessary. Carrying them anyway, and so much easier to move in the bag, and to get in/out. I do sometimes tuck a loose jacket around my neck in front.

Gorp2007

WKR
I like my liner. It’s a basic sea to summit. It keeps the bag from getting funky, keeps the breeze from hitting bare skin when I unzip the bag, and keeps my bare skin from direct contact with military issued sleeping bags.

RELIANT

FNG
I run a thin liner, but not in the conventional way. I typically run a 20F quilt in September. I place my pad inside the liner on most days and sleep on top of the liner then cover up with the quilt. I do this because I sleep hot and hate sticking to the pad. I figure if I get into a real pickle and the temps really drop I can take the liner off the pad and crawl into it like it was designed to be used and get a few extra degrees of warmth out of it, but honestly I havent had to do that yet since I usually don't even wear all my insulating layers into the bag with me.

Mikido

WKR
Not sure I get the point. I have my bag that carries me through a range of temperature. I wear puffies to take the temp down even further (which I’m carrying/using anyway).

Wash the bag once a season and that’s it. Why carry an extra liner? Don’t be afraid to wash your bag (properly).

I wash my sons LL bean goose down puffer once a WEEK. Comes out clean and max loft every time….with a dryer!

ljalberta

WKR
I have used them in the past. Not for me personally.

I'd add another plus is that I generally find the material more comfortable against the skin than the typical backpacking bag fabric.

However, I definitely found that I would get tangled in them and I think there are more effective and weight efficient ways to add warmth to your sleep system.

BFreed59

FNG
I use one and like it mainly because I like the feeling of the liner better than the bag material itself and sleep much more comfortably without the bag sticking to me all night.

robertchutch

Lil-Rokslider
I have used them in the past. Not for me personally.

I'd add another plus is that I generally find the material more comfortable against the skin than the typical backpacking bag fabric.

However, I definitely found that I would get tangled in them and I think there are more effective and weight efficient ways to add warmth to your sleep system.
What are the more efficient methods you have found for adding warmth to the sleep system? Wearing insulating layers?

BenchToField

Lil-Rokslider
Just bought a western mountaineering tioga sleep liner. As much as my sleeping bag cost, I want to make sure it lasts as long as possible and stays as clean as possible. I think a sleep liner goes a long way to helping accomplish those goals.

Who uses a sleeping bag liner in their sleeping bags? I’ve never used one before.

Pros: added warmth and keeps bag clean
Cons: added weight, extra cost

Am I missing anything?
Thanks

Spot on....

I will caveat that by saying weight gains can be marginal depending on which liner you use. My liner is fleece and is heavier than a linen liner.. but it also gives me about 10 extra degrees of warmth

My "liner" is generally wearing a base layer. depending on the season that base layer may be very light or more substantial. On longer trips I may even have a "dedicated" sleeping base layer - so its not funky one I've been hiking/hunting in all week.

Not worth the weight unless your extending your 3 season bag to a 4 season. If you can afford it a higher quality down bag with better fill rating is lighter and warmer.

BenchToField

Lil-Rokslider
Not worth the weight unless your extending your 3 season bag to a 4 season. If you can afford it a higher quality down bag with better fill rating is lighter and warmer.

I respect the decision and everyone has an opinion on what's worth the weight or not. My liner is 4 1/8 ounces. I get that ounces = lbs and lbs = suck but as a stand alone decision, it's worth the 4 oz's to me to protect and extend the life of my very expensive down bag.

Blandry

WKR
This things amazing.. I'll even wrap up in it to watch TV at night sometimes. I'd say it adds about 20 degrees.. kinda skeptical of the 32 rating.

I also have the lighter one for when I'm on foot and trying to keep my bag clean. I just keep it stuffed inside the bag in the sack. 8.7 oz https://seatosummitusa.com/products/thermolite-reactor-liner

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using a silk liner for several years now. It was the lightest one I could find (it's a Cocoon brand). It doesn't really seem to add much for warmth, although it makes a nice sheet when I get too hot and open part of the bag up.

The main point of a liner is keeping the bag clean. I've never washed either of my down bags, and both still look new. I've washed my silk liner many times, and it still has some off color staining.

The Cocoon silk liner is a little tight. I tore a seam on it on a trip last fall while trying to roll over when everything was damp (one of those multiple days of rain trips). I've had it so long, I've long since got my money's worth out of it. I bought the Sea to Summit silk liner to replace it. That one is about an ounce heavier, but appears to be cut a bit looser, and has some stretch panels. I haven't used it yet, but we'll see if it's better, or just heavier.

KyleR1985

WKR
I use this alot:

Most of my camping adventures are in 55*+ weather. Inside of a tent, this is about all the insulation I need.

For my mountain hunting adventures, I start with a ground sheet and insulated sleeping pad. Then I have a pad liner (mostly for noise/moisture/cleanliness, but it adds some warmth). Then I have my base layers. Then I have my puffy layers. Then I have the mckinnis. Then I have a 20* quilt. I have slept into the low teens comfortably with the above and my shelter still vented well.

I add and take away pieces of the above system as needed. Total weight of pad, pad liner, mckinnis, quilt is just under 5lbs. If I add lighweight bivy to keep it all together, and to add some draft protection, I usually drop the ground sheet so weight is close to same.

I toss and turn a fair amount as a side sleeper. I like having the layered approach versus one expensive low temp bag. Each component can take a crap at any point, and be replaced easily. Each component can get wet, lost, stolen, forgotten, and I can still manage.

Having said all of that - If I had to zip myself up in the liner bag, inside another bag, you might as well shoot me. I'd lose my mind.

My "liner" is generally wearing a base layer. depending on the season that base layer may be very light or more substantial. On longer trips I may even have a "dedicated" sleeping base layer - so its not funky one I've been hiking/hunting in all week.
I have alternated between a dedicated sleeping base layer and a liner for trips of any length basically any season. I like the liner for comfort more than anything else. When I was a boy scout back in the day, I used a cotton liner that was heavy but super comfortable - now I use a sea to summit one that is a little more clingy and uncomfortable but still pretty good.

I use a light liner to keep my bag clean. Never have a problem with it except first when first getting in a settled. I am usually so exhausted when I go down I hardly move.