Who uses the Sig BDX Bluetooth?

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have much experience with the BDX system? Looking at upgrading my scope on my rifle and I already have a Sig BDX rangefinder. So I was thinking it would make sense to get a BDX Sig scope. But I’m questioning How much I would actually use the BDX Bluetooth. Would I be better off just spending more money to get better glass? Interested to hear peoples thoughts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NSI

WKR
Just installed my sierra6bdx 5-30 last week. Zero'd, handed to a novice shooter, and he was ringing steel first-round at 2,3,4, and 500 yards immediately. Cannot highly enough recommend, except that it massively takes the fun out of shooting for me. I'll keep on my hunting rigs but leave my target guns on analog Christmas tree reticles.

It's worth mentioning btw how fairly priced and light these optics are. Got a 3-18 for my impending ultra lite 300WM elk gun. Lots to like. Definitely feels like cheating.

-J

Ajax2744

FNG
Not legal in CO so that’s a no for me. Also I remember watching Cory Jacobson last year or the year before for his destination elk and they missed like 4 shots because the scope and rangefinder didn’t communicate and his scope yardage was off

Thought about one for my wife to make things a bit easier. My main question is how does it compensate when the actual point of aim falls between the dots? In a video I saw it looked like there was a fair amount of space between the dots.

ericF

WKR
Not legal in CO so that’s a no for me. Also I remember watching Cory Jacobson last year or the year before for his destination elk and they missed like 4 shots because the scope and rangefinder didn’t communicate and his scope yardage was off

It was perfectly legal to use last year. Have you heard in writing that it is different this year? They said they might revisit it in the future, but I hadn't heard anything this year.

Ajax2744

FNG
It was perfectly legal to use last year. Have you heard in writing that it is different this year? They said they might revisit it in the future, but I hadn't heard anything this year.
Page 14 in new big game regulations under smart rifles: “NOTE: SMART RIFLES are prohibited, including any firearm equipped with a target tracking system, electronically controlled, assisted or computer- linked trigger or a ballistics computer. Any firearm equipped with a scope containing a computer processor is considered to be a smart rifle.

ericF

WKR
Page 14 in new big game regulations under smart rifles: “NOTE: SMART RIFLES are prohibited, including any firearm equipped with a target tracking system, electronically controlled, assisted or computer- linked trigger or a ballistics computer. Any firearm equipped with a scope containing a computer processor is considered to be a smart rifle.

Thats the exact same wording as what was in the 2020 big game regulations and it was legal in 2020. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but just want to make sure that anybody that is using one makes sure that it is still legal to use. Here is the response that I received from CPW for the 2020 season when I emailed them about it, but I haven't sent an email asking about it this year. As mentioned in the response technically the BDX scope does not have a ballistic computer in it as that portion is handled by the rangefinder.

"Hello,

Thank you for contacting Colorado Parks and Wildlife. I understand you are inquiring about Sig Sierra BDX Scope as a legal scope in Colorado.

I have shared a previous inquiry about the Sig BDX with our lead law enforcement investigator and I have been provided the following information;

One of the criteria to fit into smart rifle technology is that it has a ballistic computer. In looking at Sig Sauer's website this BDX system would not fit into the "smart rifle" definition and thus be legal. https://www.sigsauer.com/products/electro-optics/bdx/
There is a separate rangefinder used to determine the distance to the animal and is paired using Bluetooth technology to the riflescope to determine the exact holdover. There is also an app that is downloaded for smartphones used to bond the rangefinder to the scope.

Although Sig BXD scope is currently legal, our Parks and Wildlife Commission is concerned about the ethics of fair chase and one needs to check the regulation each year to make sure it is still legal to use in Colorado.

If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact us by phone or email."

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
I've used the BDX system and I find it very fast to use. For a hunting rifle, it's very efficient. Just range and the dot lights up, I really can't imagine anything being faster for hunting. I have had it on my son's rifle for several years, used it in a few precision rifle courses that were geared towards hunting, and it was really effective, especially evident in one case where he had a shot at 600, and then very quickly, another follow-up at 270. Using the system, the switch over was as fast and efficient as it could be.

In terms of connection, Sig has done a really good job in making that connection stable. I can't remember but once or twice where it did not immediately pick up, and when it did that, we just re-ranged and it was GTG.

Though it is really setup for hunters, we were able to ring steel out to nearly 1k with it with my son's rifle, but that's not its design goal, and at least on his rifle, we could not get much farther without lowering the magnification to increase the hold values. If you are a dedicated long range shooter, that's not what this scope was made for, it really is purpose designed to help hunters get an accurate hold setup quickly and efficiently.

It does allow you to set it up with preset holds with increments that you choose, and they work on any magnification, so it will work that way if you like.

As mentioned, there is no ballistic calculation in the scope, so it is legal in Colorado and all other states TMK, with the exceptions of Oregon and Idaho.

I can't honestly think of a more efficient system for hunting. There are a few things I would personally like to see that would make the system more flexible for people that might want to use the scope in a traditional way as well (like if you are going to Idaho for example). Most of the things I want would probably increase the price quite a bit, however. We will see, I just got the Sierra 6 in, so curious to test a few things there, but overall, I think for a lot of hunters, it's a very strong solution to consider.

Aaronpaul14

Lil-Rokslider
I reached out to sig and CPW/DNR. Sig BDX system is still legal in Colorado for the 2021. Here are screen shots of the responses I received:

988c8ac974fc021637883d7f0a087053.jpg

379d34ca6c881f6445e23c088bb60397.jpg

b6ff829c76f6f88ff0ad9458f8c3d226.jpg

ericF

WKR
Thanks for the confirmation for this year. Bradley is the same person who confirmed that it was legal for me the year before.

I bought a Sierra6BDX in 3-18 right when they came out to go with my Kilo3000 binos. It's a pretty cool system but I realized that for the calibers I use and the typical game range it wasn't offering me enough benefit to justify its cost. I listed it in the optics section for what I paid for it but if anyone is interested in trying it out I would consider offers. The Sierra6 has an upgraded reticle from the Sierra3 with more illumination dots and thinner lines.