Who "vets" their factory ammo?

sndmn11

WKR
I was in the process of ordering some factory ammo, and wanted to inventory what I had. This short cartridge caught my eye, and turns out it is .243win and not 7-08. Whoops! Glad I caught it.

These are boxes straight from Barnes at WHCE 2020, and we don't own a 243.

PXL_20210315_184330502~2.jpgPXL_20210315_184324710~2.jpgPXL_20210315_184401305.jpg

VernAK

WKR
Quite common......I've had on different round in federal ammo twice but worse yet I've had 338 federal ammo that wouldn't chamber.......I now pull my firing pun and cycle all ammo through my rifle at home and label the box accordingly........3 boxes of federal 210 NP, 338 Federal ammo and 4 rounds that wouldn't chamber......don't bother to call em as they'll send you a check for $2 or some such.

I could see this being really common at big box stores where someone takes a round out of a box or something. Never happened to me though

ZH1

FNG
Definitely going to be checking from here on out.

I would assume that these manufacturers would have preventative process's to catch things like this, at least I'd hope.

SDHNTR

WKR
Good old Remington quality control right there. I’ve seen it multiple times with Barnes Vortx too. Bullets that easily spin in the loaded case, different primers, drastically different seating depths. Terrible. I’ve had great results with terminal performance, but there can be some very suspect batches. I inspect each box thoroughly.

Last edited:

ozyclint

WKR
I bought a box of hornady interlock .277 130gr bullets and by chance the first bullet I pulled out of the next box I put beside a bullet from an older box. The cannelure on the new bullet was further back than normal. Turns out there were 6 bullets in that new box with the cannelure in the wrong place. Contacted hornady with a batch number just to let them know. They offered me some hornady stuff but they rescinded the offer when they realised I am in Australia. Customer service has boundaries.

Laramie

WKR
I buy ammo by the lot number. Typically a case at a time but for seldom shot rifles, I'll buy 2-3 boxes at a time. I sight in for that lot number and always check every cartridge. In 30 years of buying ammo, I have only had one cartridge I didn't feel comfortable shooting and never a wrong one. The one bad one was seated incorrectly imo but was probably safe so I'll leave the manufacturer unnamed. In thousands of rounds of Hornady, I haven't had a single issue. In most common factory ammo, I have to re-sight in with different lots typically years apart. That isn't the case with Hornady.

ChrisAU

WKR
2dpcce.jpg

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a box of Federal 7mm-08 one time that were all 243 inside. I didn't realize it until shooting a few and being puzzled by something wasn't right. It would be impossible to know if it was a factory error or some jerk at the store that switched them out. I always check now.

mncoolbeans

Lil-Rokslider
Quite common......I've had on different round in federal ammo twice but worse yet I've had 338 federal ammo that wouldn't chamber.......I now pull my firing pun and cycle all ammo through my rifle at home and label the box accordingly........3 boxes of federal 210 NP, 338 Federal ammo and 4 rounds that wouldn't chamber......don't bother to call em as they'll send you a check for $2 or some such.

I called Federal Ammo once, their literally about 15 miles form my home, had one shell not go off at the Range one time, they sent me 2 new boxes. But this is a good post and eye opener subject. I'll start looking at my new factory ammo much closer.

At least it was a smaller diameter bullet and not a 308. It would’ve at least went down the barrel if you hadn’t noticed it.
Just another reason I prefer handloads.