Do you want an 8.6 Blackout?

• Yes

Votes: 47 37.6%
  • No

Votes: 57 45.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 21 16.8%

• Total voters
When marketing 8,6 CR people have claimed that 375 Raptor is not capable to be loaded with very heavy bullets for subsonic loads, Allso have seen claims that it's not working properly in a gas gun. This must be somekind of false fact marketing or something related, because these are just the strengths of the 375 Raptor. I have a 375 Raptor AR-10 with 37 cm barrel. It works really nice with 200 gr GS Custom copper bullets, muzzle velocity easily 745 m/s with moderate pressure, a bit hot loads and velocity is 765 m/s. No problems with a comp or a silencer, just must adjust the gasport between the configurations. 235 gr Speers achieve easily 660 m/s from my gun's short barrel at finnish hunting season temperatures around zero Celcius. The caliber takes 350 gr Sierra MK and 400gr Maker bullets for subsonic loads, COL suitable for AR-10 mag's. So, can't see any advantage in a gas gun to swap from 9,5mm to 8,6 mm in most practical hunting situations, if intention is just to make large pass through wound channel and/or transfer energy to the target.
Yep, my thoughts exactly!

OP
S

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
When marketing 8,6 CR people have claimed that 375 Raptor is not capable to be loaded with very heavy bullets for subsonic loads, Allso have seen claims that it's not working properly in a gas gun. This must be somekind of false fact marketing or something related, because these are just the strengths of the 375 Raptor. I have a 375 Raptor AR-10 with 37 cm barrel. It works really nice with 200 gr GS Custom copper bullets, muzzle velocity easily 745 m/s with moderate pressure, a bit hot loads and velocity is 765 m/s. No problems with a comp or a silencer, just must adjust the gasport between the configurations. 235 gr Speers achieve easily 660 m/s from my gun's short barrel at finnish hunting season temperatures around zero Celcius. The caliber takes 350 gr Sierra MK and 400gr Maker bullets for subsonic loads, COL suitable for AR-10 mag's. So, can't see any advantage in a gas gun to swap from 9,5mm to 8,6 mm in most practical hunting situations, if intention is just to make large pass through wound channel and/or transfer energy to the target.
If hornady gets behind the 8.6, there'll be brass.

I assume nobody is making brass for 375 raptor?

I want one of each, lol

If hornady gets behind the 8.6, there'll be brass.

I assume nobody is making brass for 375 raptor?

I want one of each, lol
Why would you want hornady brass over something like lapua? Lol i got 500 pieces of lapua, just waiting for my dies. If you reload just order some dies from CH4D and get lapua, its readily available everywhere. Thats the beauty of the raptor using the 308 case. There is a company that sells converted brass for the raptor but for some reason they are out of stock for a few more months i think. Couple places sell loaded 375 raptor ammo but tnt munitions is the only one I've seen with it in stock lately

OP
S

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
Why would you want hornady brass over something like lapua? Lol i got 500 pieces of lapua, just waiting for my dies. If you reload just order some dies from CH4D and get lapua, its readily available everywhere. Thats the beauty of the raptor using the 308 case. There is a company that sells converted brass for the raptor but for some reason they are out of stock for a few more months i think. Couple places sell loaded 375 raptor ammo but tnt munitions is the only one I've seen with it in stock lately
If lapua made 8.6blk or 375raptor brass, I would be in heaven, but it's unlikely lapua would ever make 375raptor,but may make 8.6blk if hornady and others get behind it like 300blk.

I haven't done any case altering and like a "ready to go" case.

If I end up altering brass, either can be done with 308 or 6.5 Creedmoor in lapua.

If lapua made 8.6blk or 375raptor brass, I would be in heaven, but it's unlikely lapua would ever make 375raptor,but may make 8.6blk if hornady and others get behind it like 300blk.

I haven't done any case altering and like a "ready to go" case.

If I end up altering brass, either can be done with 308 or 6.5 Creedmoor in lapua.
Gotcha. If you look up a video on YouTube it actually looks super easy, i haven't done it yet either but its literally one of the least intimidating looking things to me about starting to load my own lol. Im just getting into it because i ordered the raptor but its its something ive been wanting to do for like 10 years, just waiting for my trimmer and i can start for several calibers

You could also buy the loaded ammo for either of the 2 and just reload that fired brass too i suppose. I will probably buy one box from tnt munitions just to compare to

OP
S

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
Gotcha. If you look up a video on YouTube it actually looks super easy, i haven't done it yet either but its literally one of the least intimidating looking things to me about starting to load my own lol. Im just getting into it because i ordered the raptor but its its something ive been wanting to do for like 10 years, just waiting for my trimmer and i can start for several calibers
I'm currently set up to reload 7mag 7saum and 6.5grendel (bought lapua brass and a rifle for my boy when he's ready to deer hunt.

I'll check out a video on the extra steps sometime. Probably worth it to roll your own from lapua, instead of buying hornady, like you mentioned.

dw32005

FNG

I had one for a while and got rid of it bc it was just a toy in IL and i had a lot of $$ wrapped up in it. Was also pretty heavy scoped. Was a fun gun while i had it that put alot of energy down range.

Making the brass is super easy, just used a resizer die and a cheap harbor freight mini chop saw with a brass jig i bought off ebay for like 6 bucks.

It was always reliable for me with 20 rounders that were slightly modified. Loaded everything from 200grn to brass cnc’d 350’s with an adjustable block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grog24

Lil-Rokslider
I rather like my 400 grain 44 mag subs out of a lever gun. With subsonic, it's all about weight, since everything is moving at the same just subsonic speed. That means the heavier the better.

A sub 45 or 50 would be even better. Something like a 600gr 45/70 at 1000fps. Build a non-tubular magazine to have better bullets for distance.
Sooo a .458 socom?

What am I missing with this round?
My 458 socom SBR rem700 (or my 458 AR) throws a 500gr/ 600gr bullet subsonic. With a Bushwhacker 46 suppressor it’s a sweet combo. Also, I can throw super 300gr bullets out of it that hit extremely hard. Yes, I’m giving up BC in the super sonic realm to this new round but I just don’t see where this round fits. Seems to be a compromise in both supersonic and subsonic realm.. BUT I’m happy to see people doing things different so good for them.

OP
S

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
Sooo a .458 socom?

What am I missing with this round?
My 458 socom SBR rem700 (or my 458 AR) throws a 500gr/ 600gr bullet subsonic. With a Bushwhacker 46 suppressor it’s a sweet combo. Also, I can throw super 300gr bullets out of it that hit extremely hard. Yes, I’m giving up BC in the super sonic realm to this new round but I just don’t see where this round fits. Seems to be a compromise in both supersonic and subsonic realm.. BUT I’m happy to see people doing things different so good for them.
I'll check into the. 458 socom too. No idea if this is just another round for the sake of selling more stuff or not. It'll be neat to see a comparison between all of them.

I'll check into the. 458 socom too. No idea if this is just another round for the sake of selling more stuff or not. It'll be neat to see a comparison between all of them.
It does seem like that to me but i welcome it lol. Would love to see a head to head with a raptor but i certainly aint got that kinda money

Blue72

WKR
I like the extra energy of the 8.6 blk without the extra recoil of 458 socom

I would like to see some subsonic accuracy results before picking up a barrel

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
It's pretty easy to get the desired results with a 350 L and Lil Gun or TiteGroup. There's plenty of cheap brass too.

Unckebob

WKR
I don't get why anyone would want the ballistics of a siege mortar. Unless you have the exact range, you are going to miss.

SBR Sarge

FNG
I might consder it if I could build one on one of the small AR frames, like the newer Ruger small frame AR.

I don’t like the balance of a full size AR10.