Who wants to tell me about there Yolla Bolly honey hole?

OP
Blacktail_Packer
Two years ago we got a later start than normal and where leaving the trailhead about a hour before shoot light. We hike in a ways and set up to glass, as legal light begins we see some movement off in the far distance. As it gets clearer and they get closer we noticed it was a group of three guys on the trail walking back towards the trailhead. As they passed us, at around 200 yards, you could see them packing out three bucks. They were fully processed and in their packs. There is no way they legally shot these bucks during the thirty minutes of opening light and processed them that quickly. So yes, they pack in to poach.
Damn that seems like an awful lot of work to poach, there’s so many nice neighborhood and park deer...

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
Two years ago we got a later start than normal and where leaving the trailhead about a hour before shoot light. We hike in a ways and set up to glass, as legal light begins we see some movement off in the far distance. As it gets clearer and they get closer we noticed it was a group of three guys on the trail walking back towards the trailhead. As they passed us, at around 200 yards, you could see them packing out three bucks. They were fully processed and in their packs. There is no way they legally shot these bucks during the thirty minutes of opening light and processed them that quickly. So yes, they pack in to poach.

How do you know they didn't shoot the bucks during legal light and were just finishing packing them out of the backcountry when you saw them? It can take multiple days to pack something out if you go in deep and don't have horses.

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
Opening morning!

Oh wow it's disappointing that happens but they will eventually get caught.

Are there very many bucks left in the Yolla Bolly towards the end of the season or has hunting pressure pushed most of them out? I have only hunted the YB during the last couple weeks of the season and have seen very few deer. Maybe I choose the wrong areas or maybe they have all moved on?

Loghog

FNG
Definitely need to hike to get away from people. Deer are sparse from what I have found in the last years. Bear hunting is likely more successful than deer (which is fine by me). I don't think the place ever ran dry of water. All the major springs were okay.

It is unfortunate but old articles online describe a situation that no longer exists. Lions have hammered the deer heard and the hound hunting ban on bears will make it even worse.

Loghog

OP
Blacktail_Packer
Definitely need to hike to get away from people. Deer are sparse from what I have found in the last years. Bear hunting is likely more successful than deer (which is fine by me). I don't think the place ever ran dry of water. All the major springs were okay.

It is unfortunate but old articles online describe a situation that no longer exists. Lions have hammered the deer heard and the hound hunting ban on bears will make it even worse.

Loghog
How far do you think it’ll go before our states game management team figures this out?

Loghog

FNG
How far do you think it’ll go before our states game management team figures this out?

You mean the "wildlife" management. :rolleyes:

It won't happen. They are going to say it is people encroaching on habitat (which is a ridiculous argument for the example of the Yolla Bolly). Lions kill a deer a week, that's if no bear finds their stash and polishes it off. Once that happens, they have to do more killing. So with the increase in bear population it will accelerate the deer herd just getting slaughtered.

I will continue to go hunt Yolla Bolly but it is a "bear hunt while also having a deer tag" to me.

Cheers,

Loghog

OP
Blacktail_Packer
Yeah it’s sounding more and more like I’m going on my first backcountry bear hunt but, I’m still goin. I’m constantly confused by this states priorities. I mean from a basic dollars and cents stand point they have to know they are loosing money in tag sales by keistering there heads. Look at any state that’s not in complete denial about there population of lions why are we the only ones that have elevated this animal to untouchable status....
You mean the "wildlife" management. :rolleyes:

It won't happen. They are going to say it is people encroaching on habitat (which is a ridiculous argument for the example of the Yolla Bolly). Lions kill a deer a week, that's if no bear finds their stash and polishes it off. Once that happens, they have to do more killing. So with the increase in bear population it will accelerate the deer herd just getting slaughtered.

I will continue to go hunt Yolla Bolly but it is a "bear hunt while also having a deer tag" to me.

Cheers,

Loghog

Loghog

FNG
It is politics - well meaning urban dwellers thinking lions are endangered. I talk to people all the time in suburbia here that think lions are almost extinct. Others are amazed it would be legal to hunt bear. I am always trying to educate but it is a lost cause -enjoy local hunting while you can ... restrictions will only increase. PM me if you need more help as we get closer to season. Go scout it during archery!

OP
Blacktail_Packer
yeah I have a coworker who’s chick just finished some report about the endangered cats 🤦🏼‍♂️. Myself and another hunter tried to inform him of how it really is but...
And thanks for the offer I plan to try and get up there at least once before season. Not sure if it’ll be during archery or if it’ll be sooner than that but I’ll take all the help I can get.

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
yeah I have a coworker who’s chick just finished some report about the endangered cats 🤦🏼‍♂️. Myself and another hunter tried to inform him of how it really is but...
And thanks for the offer I plan to try and get up there at least once before season. Not sure if it’ll be during archery or if it’ll be sooner than that but I’ll take all the help I can get.
What temperatures should one expect in the Yolla Bolly during general season on average?

Loghog

FNG
Bow season is generally HOT! I don’t like to go unless it is to prepare a camp or scout.
General season starts mid September and can also still be hot - I have seen mid 90s in the daytime. It depends on the year but toward the end of the season it can be a lot cooler, in the 60s in the daytime and cooler at the higher elevations.

OP
Blacktail_Packer
This is the curve ball that I’m not sure how much to prepare for. Where I hunt 1500-3200’ its always hot u less we get weather. I’m gunna try to be prepared but will likely be over prepared