Who was/is your best hunting partner?

Without question, my son. I've always primarily hunted alone, but when he started hunting with me, it changed the whole reason I hunted. No longer was it just me doing something I loved, but now I was sharing what I loved, with someone I loved. Seeing them get to enjoy it as much as I do, and share that experience has resulted in the greatest hunting trips I've ever been on. The other nice thing about hunting with him is that since he started at 10 (he's now 17), I've been able to show and teach him the way I hunt, and don't have to worry about finding a partner that hunts as hard as I do or the country I like. I also don't have to worry about my hunting partner giving away our secret hunting locations.

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
My brother... He's been the only one dumb enough to go with me and not want to quit early. He's not in any kind of shape, but he never says no and just keeps plugging along. Unfortunately he moved back to ND, so now it's probably solo until my two sons are old enough to go with me.

AGPank

WKR
It started as my dad. I grew up as a rifle hunter, we hunted elk, deer, grouse, geese, rabbits, and squirrels. He really instilled the passion to hunt when I was young. He was one heck of a shot. My parents got divorced when I was 15 and it really disrupted hunting because we hunted my moms family property.

I didn't hunt much for almost 10 years after college. I then got into archery about 4 years ago. I've been getting back to Colorado to chase elk at my grandparents cabin. My mom has been going with me every year since. She does a great job calling, spotting, and hiking all over the mountain. She even helps with off season scouting.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's awesome that your mom helps out no better way to spend time with loved ones than in the outdoors

my grandpa, he was a elk fanantic and even if you made a mistake he told you very calmly.A very knowlegeable in the hunting aspects of the animal he was chasing.

arffdog875

Lil-Rokslider
My wife has been my best hunting partner, I got her into hunting about 6 years ago after we met. Since then she has been there every step of the way. I know sometimes she thinks I am crazy for going into some of the places I do, but she doesen't complain, even when helping me pack out my bull this year from a hell hole!:cool:D

This would be a two way tie between my dad and my grandpa. The guy I usually hunt with is a great guy
but there is something special about hunting with family. Besides, my Grandpa just flat out finds elk.

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
My two best hunting partners have both passed at way to early an age. The first was my dad, gave me a love for the outdoors and hunting. The second was Dr. C. Randall Byers past records chairman for Pope and Young and Boone and Crocket. Randy and his son (my best friend) shared many campfires and adventures with me chasing elk every fall. Both my dad and Randy passed away approx. 10 yrs ago at way to young an age. If only I could share 1 more hunt with either of them. Enjoy every hunt with those advancing in age, you won't realize how precious they are until you can't do them anymore.

swat8888

WKR
My current sheep partner. We have an unspoken understanding of what we are trying to accomplish, no one complains, and he loves soaking in the beauty and the serenity of the backcountry. Mainly we know that each other has our back no matter how crappy the circumstances. Misery loves company and in our sick ways as I know many here can relate there is nothing quiet like pushing our limits and living on the edge. I also like that he fully commits to his pursuit, no whining, no compromise but still doesn't make rash or reckless decisions....that has become much more important to me now that I have a family to think about. Trust is everything, yet hard to find that rare partner that meshes with your skillet allowing each to utilize he strengths of one another without one dominat guy making all the decisions. He also gives great foot massages and a back rub to die for. Totally kidding about that last part.

a3dhunter

WKR
Had a good bowhunting partner until he stopped bowhunting.....
So, if I pick up a rifle I still have a good hunting partner otherwise I'm out of luck.
I have a couple friends I would hunt with, but that's different from someone you can spend a week with and still call them a friend afterwards.

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
Oddly enough, I truly didn't have a hunting partner for the first... mmm, 10 years or better of my hunting life.

I PCS'd to where I am now in Colorado in 2009 and less than a year later so did Joe (armyjoe here on the rokslide forums). Joe is easily my best hunting partner. You're right, Aron, good hunting partners are hard to find. I got real damn lucky. Joe and I have had some awesome experiences up there.

Next to Joe is my father-in-law, Barry (not on rokslide). He's the toughest mid-50s SOB I know. He lives in Missouri at about 1,100 ft elevation and came out here for scouting trip with Joe and I in summer '12. He took tree line with us at 4.5 miles in, ~2,000 elevation gain, and ~45lbs on his back.

Above Timber

Lil-Rokslider
My dad until I got married and moved away. I lost him in 2010 and would give almost anything for one more hunt together. I really enjoy hunting with my brother-in-law but do not get to as often as I would like. Do a lot of hunting by myself. Finding someone you trust enough is tough.
My son is up and coming he just needs to get stronger for the back country.

Here is a pic of my dad and myself with his best Black Hills Buck taken in November of 1973.

dad hunting2.jpg

Last edited:

trkyslr

WKR
All time it be my uncle jim as he got my fire burning when i was younger. We still hunt tigether each year a few times. Now days i mostly hunt with short man joehunter. We are very competitive and push each other. We have the same drive and hunt well together %99 of the time. Hes one of my best friends but We are diff in some areas as he is the most impatient sob i know and im the most patient, but hes learned to be more patient cuz of me which has taught him a lot and i have my streaks now of being in patient when it wont hurt me. Best of both worlds.

Ha joe the belts getting dusty ill get out the braso! ;-)

bigmoose

WKR
I've had several great hunter partners over the years. I would say that my "best" hunting partner is my Godson, Mike. I've pretty much been his mentor and he has been a quick study. He is the one guy that I can count on to do whatever it takes to get the job done. We've had many kickass packs and some great hunts together.

Here is Mike with a good buck from a few years ago.

Attachments

• File000302.jpg
    File000302.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 546164-R1-11-14.jpg
    546164-R1-11-14.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

joehunter8301

Lil-Rokslider
Ill start by defining a hunting partner. A good huntin partner drives you, you guys have to have good compatibility and think alike, you guys gotta have the same desire and goals. And being competitive with each other keeps you at ur best. All these things are hard to find and if u do get a hunting buddy that's brings all these things to the table it makes for some great times hunting.

I used to hunt with my little
Brother to get him involved but now he is married and moved away. Since then trkyslr and I have taken our hunting to another level as he said we drive each other to our top potential. We learn a lot from each other and yes he has taught me patience a little. What he lacks I pick up and what I lack he picks up. Our success has proven were a pretty deadly combo. I wish everyone could have that gel we have it makes hunts so much more exciting than goin solo.

Oh and it helps if ur hunting buddy has an understanding wife/gf or is single!!! Lol

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
This is from a few years back. Me, my brother (dirtytough), my dad and our good buddy Rob.

1b7b3a07-c57c-4d66-9e92-e67958ffa24d_zpsfec7163d.jpg

ST52v

WKR
My b
2012-09-10_09-18-06_224_zps3c43e7a4.jpg
est partner for the last 20 years. My father in law. From our hunt last year in unit 54 Colorado.