Who was/is your best hunting partner?

Daniel_M

WKR
My father for teaching me. My gal for being the most hardcore kickass chick ever. My son for learning it all over again.

194080_461811707191934_1298949989_o.jpg

247787_461912007181904_170092424_n.jpg

Last edited:
You buddy!!

Majority of my hunts are by myself. But my old man was one heck of an elk hunting partner. No longer here thou. Taken too earlier. So I will keep on trekking

Last edited:

6t4nova

WKR
When I lived in OK, one of my best friends and I hunted together all the time. Went out for just about everything. Killed a lot of whitetails together and had some great hunting properties. Since moving to CO, I haven't found a good hunting partner so I just go solo.

My dad. He taught me how to hunt everything, I inherited my desire to see whats over the next ridge from him. He always took, and still takes believe it or not, the time to be out there, and he is always up for the next adventure. Couldn't ask for anyone better.

Gman

WKR
Always the one that makes me laugh...especially at the crappiest, hardest part of the hunt. It's like gold in the backcountry. I'll take a partner that can't hunt worth a lick but makes me laugh and is easy going over a pro-style hunter any day. Now I've been lucky enough to hunt with people that have both those qualities and that is by far my favorite.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
My better half of twelve years for sure. She is tough, always positive and calm under pressure. I am blessed. We have only hunted together a handful of times though.

I have been hunting with a good friend the past few years who is also a great hunting buddy. Positive energy = good times no doubt. A good hunting buddy is hard to find and can make or break a trip. I appreciate the fact that they realize the journey is the destination. Solo hunting is rewarding as well but it is nice to share the experience with good friends.

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I still haven't found one. I have people that I like to hunt with but dependability is an issue. I hate someone showing up at a trailhead ready for a 6 day trip who then says he can only stay 4 maybe 5.

BigSurArcher

Banned
My dad. He's been a backpack hunter since before it was "cool", and he's taught me the most about finding, killing, and packing out mature animals in the backcountry. It's fun because now I get to repay him by keeping him up on all the latest gear year to year.

There he is! 52 years young, way back in, waking up next to a big muley that needed packing out last season.

void0-11.jpg

Here he is about 25 years ago with a nice NV backcountry buck.

NV001.jpg

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
My chocolate lab. Didn't matter how hot how cold how slow it was she was always right there watched her make a 300yrd blind retreive from hand signals, I've seen her stand there shivering with ice on her back but she never complained! For me I invite people to snow goose hunt one trip and they are done. 3 hrs of carrying dekes and setting them up in the dark and then doing it in reverse after laying in a cold muddy field all day is to much. I didn't even ask anyone to come to Colorado with me they all think I'm nuts!!!😛

tstowater

WKR
Unfortunately, many of my hunts are single tag, limited draw, hunts that are not conducive to hunting partners. Like the concept, but many times not workable. Still need to find someone that can get time off when I want to go. Someday.

Wrongside

WKR
None of my family hunts anymore, so I'm left with just the good memories from hunting with dad and family as a kid. I am fortunate to have a couple of friends I really enjoy spending time in the mountains and backcountry with though, pursuing critters and more great memories.

trk3263

WKR
I would have to say hands down it would be Gobbler1662.... although he probably thinks I am a leach :D

Gobbler is the "Old guy" in our group that can hang right with us and makes us all jealous because his life is all about hunting now (retired last June). Gobbler has taught me a ton in the past two years of hunting with him. He is full of knowledge and passes it on to us without hesitation. Well he may "forget" to tell us about 1 or 2 bivy sites or meadows but it all comes out in the end.

Gobbler is also great for Gear knowledge and keeps me challenged to get better and lighter gear although I won't ever catch him there. I was clueless and never really heard of Backpack Hunting until I met him. He told me what gear I needed and and show me resources to get the gear. (REI Gear Sales.....shhhh) Gobbler is constantly trying something new or buys a new pack or bow to try out.

He has also always gotten me into Game and is willing to put me and others first before himself. Don't worry we make sure he gets his game too. Anyway I would definitely say Gobbler is my best hunting partner and it isn't because he has a 6 man Tipi with wood stove that he lets me use at base camp with him.

IMG_3179.jpg
Don't be confused about his pack he is a Kifaru man now!
IMG_3189.jpg

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
My brother in law. Takes off work to hunt with me even when he doesn't draw a tag. Carries more than his share and quick pat me on the back and make me laugh. Oh yea he will break my balls but what goes around comes around:)

littlebuf

Banned
for me its myself. dad didnt take me hunting i wanted to so i started hunting, and went alone. tried hunting with a guy one year but he turned out to be a total douche. i hunt once in a while with a couple guys but i dont have a hunting partner. probably never will unless one of my daughters wants to go. my two youngest show some interest but we'll see,there older sisters dindt want to.

IMHO, anyone who is willing to follow me up the mountain, keep up, and not whine about it. Im NR and not a ton of interest in backpack hunting with my friends. I got a college buddy who climbed Ranier but is not a hunter. I'm hoping he will give it a try. Other than tha, I'm still looking! :)

for me its myself. dad didnt take me hunting i wanted to so i started hunting, and went alone. tried hunting with a guy one year but he turned out to be a total douche. i hunt once in a while with a couple guys but i dont have a hunting partner. probably never will unless one of my daughters wants to go. my two youngest show some interest but we'll see,there older sisters dindt want to.

X2, as long as we are not climbing a mountain, my Daughters!