Who Wears Hanwags? Looking To Make The Switch

Currently wear Crispi Wild Rocks and Nevada’s but I can get some great pricing on Hanwags to replace the slightly small Nevada’s. Anybody run the Alaska’s or Tatras care to give me a review? Trying them on seems good be difficult Jb my area.
Thanks in advance

I wear the Alaska’s in 13 wide. They have a pretty narrow foot bed but I think a lot of the European brands run that way. I put spenco insoles in them because the ones from the factory are worthless. They pretty much took me 2 full weeks of hiking/rucking in them to fully break in. But now that they’re broken in and molded more to my foot shape, they’re amazing. If there’s one thing I don’t like about them, it’s the weight. But that’s why I have the Tatra lights to wear as well.

wapitibob

WKR
13 wide
I needed to remove the dr scholes inserts I was using and go to the thinner lathrop to relieve some top of the forefoot pressure.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also have the Lathrop foot beds in mine for less pressure on the top of my foot. I also use a thinner sock then i normally wear with my other boots, might be time for me to get a bigger pair.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

BluMtn

WKR
I wear the Tatras and have a lot of miles on them, they fit like they were hand made for me. I wear the 13 reg. not the wide. They have never given my a problem. I will buy another pair or the trappers.

I got the more insulated trapper tops and ordered a half size up. They fit good with a liner and 1 pair of merino wool socks. Still in process of breaking them in and they get better every time out but still are a bit stiff. Insoles might get swapped out before my hunt

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Swapping insoles on some new Makras.
Have a good amount of space in the toe box, and the heel feels good. But having some issues with my foot going forward.
Trying insoles with deeper heel cup and different tie patterns.
Little regret not getting another half size up.

OP
coloyooper
Thanks fellas. My size 12 Crispi Nevada’s shrunk (?) on me. Went from fitting perfect, to my toes rubbing front of the toe box. Sized up on a pair of WildRocks at 12.5 and they’re perfect. Thinking I might need to go 13 with Hanwag based on these comments.

Moserkr

WKR
Thanks fellas. My size 12 Crispi Nevada’s shrunk (?) on me. Went from fitting perfect, to my toes rubbing front of the toe box. Sized up on a pair of WildRocks at 12.5 and they’re perfect. Thinking I might need to go 13 with Hanwag based on these comments.
Your shoes didnt shrink, your feet grew. Mine did that too in a pair of summit gtx. Read that it may be due to not enough arch support, along with heavy packs n hard miles. Boots with less flex in the soles and more arch support will help. I have good arches so that left room to flatten. Do you?

OP
coloyooper
I do not have good arches. Pretty flat footed.
Your shoes didnt shrink, your feet grew. Mine did that too in a pair of summit gtx. Read that it may be due to not enough arch support, along with heavy packs n hard miles. Boots with less flex in the soles and more arch support will help. I have good arches so that left room to flatten. Do you?

Moserkr

WKR
I do not have good arches. Pretty flat footed.
Interesting. Still, get your foot measured. Im sure it grew so your feet probably flattened more. I was in 10s until my toenails started turning black…. Now im in 10.5s and bought all new shoes/boots which sucks. Was looking at switching from crispi too and keeping an eye on hanwags as well.

BluMtn

WKR
I got the more insulated trapper tops and ordered a half size up. They fit good with a liner and 1 pair of merino wool socks. Still in process of breaking them in and they get better every time out but still are a bit stiff. Insoles might get swapped out before my hunt

I have a ton of miles on my Tarta's and they are still a stiff boot which I like. When it comes to climbing steep hillsides it is like climbing stairs and my feet don't hurt at the end of the day. I wore out my original insoles and replaced them acouple years ago.

What insoles are you guys upgrading to? Anyone use superfeet in these or is that a no go?

I put these in my Alaskas:

Spenco Total Support Original Insole, Men's 12-13.5

And I put these in my Tatra lights:

Spenco Total Support Thin Full Length Arch Support Insoles for Minimalist or Low Volume Shoes, Men's 12-13.5

I put the thins in the Tatra lights because of the above stated toe box issues and the fact that I got them in 13 regular instead of wide. My Alaskas had the same issues at first until they formed a bit more to my feet once they broke in. The heel cups on the spenco insoles really plant your foot in place and the arch support is really rigid so it doesn’t flatten over time.

Decker9

WKR
I use the Alaskans for both, my daily footwear (other then hot summer days) and early sheep hunts. They are the best fit for my feet that I have found, I just wish they were stiffer.

wapitibob

WKR
What insoles are you guys upgrading to? Anyone use superfeet in these or is that a no go?

I tossed all my superfeet insoles. The top was too slick and would create hot spots under a cpl toes.

I will add, I used a strip of 3/4" gorilla tape down each heel for a cpl days when the boot was new and I was getting a touch of heel lift.

I got super feet oranges coming in today. I'll let you know.

Have to leave for an elk hunt tomorrow. Pissed off that I didn't size up more on my hanwags LOL. Luckily I have some other boots I'll wear instead if the weather stays decent.

jmez

WKR
I have both, Hanwag Alaskan, Crispi Idaho. Neither one required break in for me, comfortable with no hotspots from the start. The Hanwag is narrower with less room in the toe toebox. I use Synergy insoles in both. Have to pull the laces a lot tighter on the Crispi.

Both great boots but made different. The Alaskan offers more support and is stiffer than the Idaho. You would expect that based on materials. You won't go wrong with Hanwag, excellent quality and craftsmanship.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk