Who Wears Hanwags? Looking To Make The Switch

BCsteve

WKR
Was rocking the Trapper Tops for the first year last week moose hunting in Northern BC. Very comfy for my feet with Sole insoles. No blisters or hot spots. Feet remained dry in many miles in rain and snow.

I ran the trappers for 4 full hunting seasons in Pa. In steep rocky sidehills, creek crossings and deep snow the excelled. The only time my feet got wet was hunting in very wet 15in snow a couple days in a row without being able to fully dry them overnight. They are heavy and i should have replaced my insoles sooner as my feet would be sore and fatigued after a few miles jn year 3. When not on challenging terrain and walking miles, these boots are definitely over kill.

I got a pair of 6in zamberlans for more all around use this year and they fit my foot like a glove. I will still use the hanwag trappers for a winter boot.

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
I wear the Alaska’s in 13 wide. They have a pretty narrow foot bed but I think a lot of the European brands run that way. I put spenco insoles in them because the ones from the factory are worthless. They pretty much took me 2 full weeks of hiking/rucking in them to fully break in. But now that they’re broken in and molded more to my foot shape, they’re amazing. If there’s one thing I don’t like about them, it’s the weight. But that’s why I have the Tatra lights to wear as well.
Are the hanwag comparable quality wise as far as Kenetreks or crispis?

I would say the hanwag leather boots are as good as any of the high end boots (kennetrek, crispi, hoffman, schnee, zamberlan, etc)

wapitibob

WKR
I think I'm gonna try this. Did it go away after a while?
Yep, a cpl days.

to add again. I’ve been going back/forth with gore about leaking Solomon’s. Bottom line they will go over your boots with a fine tooth comb looking for any abrasion/disruption to the inner liner where your big toe is. If they find any your warranty is void.
I cut, file, and bevel my nails just to prevent this and still had a cpl threads in the liner messed up. From now on I’m putting some gorilla tape above my toes in new boots to help prevent any disruption.

I was a pretty faithful kenetrek guy for a lot of years. One day I happened across some trapper tops on a good sale and took a pair of 12ee home to try out. Three years later I am still wearing them. The kenes were always a bit narrow for me. The trappers didnt feel as supportive but have proven fine in the mountains. The quality is certainly as good as the kenes.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I've had Hanwag Alaska GTX for a bunch of years. Been re-soled twice. Very happy with them.

I would say they were broke in after the second hike.

My only complaint is my feet freeze in them when I am sitting/glassing. They are a fairly snug fit and don't leave allot of room for medium thickness sock.

I recently bough a pair of Hanwag Trapper Tops in the same size as my Alaskans. A bit roomier allowing for better sock combinations but also much stiffer. I've only got about 25 km on them over a couple hikes and they feel pretty good. But still playing with lacing/footbeds to find the perfect feel.

I have Yukons, Anchash II and chillkats. Chillkats are to narrow for me. They are only waterproof membrane I own. Others are leather liner lined.

Yukon's are on third resolve, but won't make it to four, they are about done. I’ve been really happy with Hanwag

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone know how tall the alaska is? I can't find the hight on them anywhere? is looks taller than and 8" but not as tall as 10 but thats just what it looks like.