Who would buy a lighter single stack 10mm?

mcseal2

WKR
I'm just curious why nobody makes a single stack 10mm marketed as a woods gun? To small a market I'm guessing, but with the resurgence in the 10mm I bet it would sell.

I have a G20 and a Sig Tacops 1911 10mm. Both are nice guns and I like them, but I could definitely see myself carrying a more compact and lighter gun if it was an option. I really don't feel like I need more ammo than the 1911 holds so an 8+1 or even 7+1 capacity would be fine by me.

I am not a huge fan of striker fired guns, but recently picked up a Sig P365XL from someone who "panic bought" it when Coronavirus hit at a great price. I really like the thing, I'm hitting better with it than I do with a larger frame striker fired gun like my G20 past 20 yards. The trigger is much better feeling than the Glock, at least to me, and I think that helps a lot. I might carry it scouting in black bear country if it likes hardcast in place of my 357. I always like to have a handgun along, but when the chance of needing it is extremely low a smaller lighter one is fine. I have already been packing it fishing on the river. It's really compact and easy to forget it's there until it's needed.

It got me thinking, why not a polymer framed 10mm single stack? If it's going to be striker fired I'd like mine to be by Sig so it could have the X ray sights and flat trigger like the P365XL. I'd like to have a rail on it for a really compact and lightweight light option too. Make the barrel work fine with hardcast and have a fully supported chamber also for my needs. I am not a Glock hater, but I'm not a guy who thinks Glock is the only way either. Nice guns but they all seem to point high for me. The grip angle is just different than a lot of the other guns I shoot and I'm not as used to it.

Is the 10mm to high pressure to make a smaller polymer framed gun in? Recoil shouldn't be terrible, especially compared to the lighter 44's with bear loads. The hot 10mm loads don't seem to be much hotter than 357's, and my S&W 60 5 shot revolver is controllable enough I enjoy shooting it with 158's or 180's. Add in the action of a semi-auto and a polymer frame, and I'd think it would be pretty manageable.

I was just thinking of this and rambling on, wondering who else had interest in a gun like that.

Last edited:
Glock 29 is 26oz empty. 10 bullets is 6oz so right at 2# without holster. I wouldn’t mind a lighter carry weight, but I wouldn’t want to shoot a lighter 10mm but that is just m opinion. Colts are 2.5# empty for comparisen.

how light do you think it could get For a single stack?

FWIW I spoke with someone deep deep deep into the glock world and he said 10mm is a niche and not a great seller. Unlikely that they will give the 20 & 29 the full gen 5 treatment due to low volume and need to reengineer one o the pin placements. Makes me think a slim 10mm isn’t going to get a lot of focus, even if it is a good idea.

USMC-40

WKR
If you could get a 1911 on a lighter frame it would fit the bill. Not sure an alloy frame would be ideal for a 10mm, but I’m no expert. Seems like more 10mm offerings now than ever.

BAKPAKR

WKR
Although I have not yet taken the 10mm plunge, the advantage I see of a 10mm over a scandium frame 44 for woods carry is the much greater capacity available with a double stack semiauto. As I am not too afraid of bears seeing me carrying, or wondering what was in my Wilderness Safepacker, concealability would not be a big factor for me. So, a single stack 10mm would not interest me.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I didn’t figure I’d be the only one interested. Maybe someday someone will build one.

I'd buy one, but it won't happen. Look at how much they bulk up the 10mm frames VS 40/9mm frames. It isn't practical, and wouldn't sell a lot of units. A G29 is probably the closest thing we'll ever see.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Until someone makes one you can just download your double stack with fewer rounds. It will literally be essentially as light as a single stack with same number of rounds. Won't get compact, but you will get the weight you are asking for.

Wrench

WKR
have you shot legitimate full power 10mm ammo from a light gun? I have a LOT of guns and a full power 10 is a handful and hard on guns. I've beat the locking lugs off a couple barrels now in 1911 platforms and don't think I'd want a lighter one with any hopes of long term survival.

What will scratch your itch is a S&W 1911Sc set up in 45 super.

45 super brings a LOT to the table and doesn't seem to beat the shit out of the gun nearly as bad.

I have these as well as the 329pd and find the 1911Sc is plenty reliable and more concealable.

My newest backup is the 43x with shield mags for 15x and loaded with 147 berry's hybrid at +p. It's super controlled, accurate, light and recovered bullets are looking like plenty of penetration with good expansion.

Dennis

WKR
I think we all struggle with what is the perfect handgun for a chosen task. For me it always comes back to what will I always carry and what load will work. I would pick your Sig 365XL or a Glock 43X and load it with Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman loads and carry pepper spray as maybe my first choice. Hunted years ago with an Alaskan Guide who used a 9mm on brown bear and it worked, because tested it and it was what he had.

tdhanses

WKR
have you shot legitimate full power 10mm ammo from a light gun? I have a LOT of guns and a full power 10 is a handful and hard on guns. I've beat the locking lugs off a couple barrels now in 1911 platforms and don't think I'd want a lighter one with any hopes of long term survival.

What will scratch your itch is a S&W 1911Sc set up in 45 super.

45 super brings a LOT to the table and doesn't seem to beat the shit out of the gun nearly as bad.

I have these as well as the 329pd and find the 1911Sc is plenty reliable and more concealable.

My newest backup is the 43x with shield mags for 15x and loaded with 147 berry's hybrid at +p. It's super controlled, accurate, light and recovered bullets are looking like plenty of penetration with good expansion.

Oh I don’t think it’s bad, I shoot 220gr hardcasts out of mine. My titanium 44mag weighs about the same as my G29 and both are not bad to shoot.

I need to find a good hardcast for my G48, I just love the size and feel of that frame. I think the only diff between it and your 43x is a slightly longer barrel or maybe the grip is longer.

Lawnboi

WKR
I actually like the single stack Glock so much that I’ve considered getting a g48 for a woods gun.

Iv got a g29 as well that I normally carry in the woods. Im not nearly as good at shooting it as I should be.
Iv got a g20 mag in it right now with a spacer for increased capacity.