Whole Home Audio?

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Wife and I are currently building a home (walls are framed). Our anniversary is coming up shortly and as a surprise gift I'd like to have a whole home audio system installed... I think? Kitchen, living room, patio, and master bed. The biggest hurdle at this point is that I have no idea what people do these days because I'm disinterested in most tech. Are systems still hard wired? Is everything blue tooth off from some kind of hub? That type of stuff. Not looking to break the bank but would be will to spend a few thousand dollars if it makes her smile. Any direction/help to at least get me up to speed on how this stuff is done would be greatly appreciated.

OP
R

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Sonos is the only way to go, it isnt cheap but it is definitely worth the money
Someone at work mentioned that brand as well but didn't have any more input. From what I understand those simply need a power source and then get run through the WiFi?

Someone at work mentioned that brand as well but didn't have any more input. From what I understand those simply need a power source and then get run through the WiFi?

Correct.

Couple friends have the system and its awesome. Can control any or all the speakers at once from your phone, play whatever you want on whichever speakers, etc.

def90

WKR
I sell and install whole house audio systems for a living.

Get everything hardwired with flush mount speakers in the ceiling and then power those speakers with SONOS amplifiers. Will make for a nice clean looking installation.

Basically have your low voltage contractor wire the speakers back to a utility closet or media room cabinet then install the amps at that location. You will need a singe hardwired network location at the amplifiers. They make a wireless bridge unit but hardwired is always better than wireless and if the house is being framed now is the time to do it the right way.

OP
R

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate all the input, thanks. Thinking at this point going to have to let the Mrs in on the "surprise". I prefer silence over anything so any sound quality or use will be lost on me. Sucks but seems I'd be best off getting her input so I can meet expectations.

Painless

FNG
This is what I did and have added several Sonos stand alone speakers as well and it works very well
I sell and install whole house audio systems for a living.

Get everything hardwired with flush mount speakers in the ceiling and then power those speakers with SONOS amplifiers. Will make for a nice clean looking installation.

Basically have your low voltage contractor wire the speakers back to a utility closet or media room cabinet then install the amps at that location. You will need a singe hardwired network location at the amplifiers. They make a wireless bridge unit but hardwired is always better than wireless and if the house is being framed now is the time to do it the right way.

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
I recently remodeled our basement and put in my “dream theater”. Had an AV guy come after running wire everywhere for him to confirm locations and do any tweaks before Sheetrock went up. He said he noticed we had Sonos speakers in the house already (which are awesome) and recommended we ditch the hard wire and just run power to where speakers would go. I left the speaker wire and ran power, bought the Sonos, and I’ll never look back. It’s great. And if we ever want to tweak anything, no cutting into walls!!