Whole30 finished

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
Man, I have to tell you guys that I just finished whole30 (google it) and I feel really good. My wife is a nutritionist so we eat fairly healthy normally anyways, but I went hardcore, no alcohol or sugars (besides some fruit) for a month. I'm a fairly slender guy, but lost 5 lbs and it all came off the gut and face lol. I'm a home remodeler and have a pretty strenuous job, deal with some back, and elbow pain and that was all gone by week 2. My biggest pro to this diet was the recovery time. I feel like it took me hours to recover from strenuous workouts instead of days!

Lost my brother 4 years ago to cancer and my wife and I (along with my parents and brother) have been researching and working through healthier lifestyle options ever since.

Anyone else have experience with these types of lifestyle changes? Best part of this diet is i get all the wild game I want!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
c276f570ff9db69bb6dd8de38d76be56.jpg
3ca9edacb014bf3a73d9a83153aab481.jpg
e6af6939d35fce1b5a10bc1054f0aca1.jpg
d07664f10126ef8416ec3d0c578f70e8.jpg

JamesP

WKR
It's a big change I know but a good one. I found the most difficult part wasn't controlling what I ate but non supportive people around me that couldn't understand why I wouldn't eat certain things. It's frustrating but they usually come around and get used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Muleys32

Lil-Rokslider
Did the whole30 myself and felt awesome. It was much more challenging mentally than it was to quit smoking about 4 years ago. Props to the guy or gal who can make it through that. Recently broke into the fitness side of hunting (working out 3 days a week, walking and hiking/shed hunting the other days). It definitely makes you realize quickly how a bad diet makes for a bad feeling workout and recovery. My question is, can you sustain a lifelong whole30ish diet? It seems like that would be very, very tough to do. Or is it more of a temporary thing for you?

I did it several months ago for the full term. I also stayed true to the restrictions and it was the best I have ever felt in my entire life. My wife and I talked several other couples in our small group to try it and they had the same reactions. Its definitely not a placebo effect.

I lost 15 pounds without feeling like I was sacrificing at all. I was satisfied after every meal and had a bunch of fun preparing different dishes.

The first few days took some adjustment, but after that I had more energy and slept much better. I never had joint pain to begin with, but I have heard that that is a great remedy.

I am doing a "whole30" diet during the week now more a diet control than a "cleanse". Summer time is a tough time to not enjoy the occasional beer or burger on a weekend.

I would recommend everyone does it! If not for the health benefits, at least to show you what is really in the food that is so readily available.

Whisky

WKR
I tried it once and didn't commit fully. I like alcohol and pizza too much. I felt good for the time I was on it though. I get married this weekend. Come Monday I am going to attempt round 2. It will require some serious will power with July 4th, rib cook offs, and lake activities. Basically the only chance I have to fully commit for 30 days is to become a hermit. We'll see.

I tried it once and didn't commit fully. I like alcohol and pizza too much. I felt good for the time I was on it though. I get married this weekend. Come Monday I am going to attempt round 2. It will require some serious will power with July 4th, rib cook offs, and lake activities. Basically the only chance I have to fully commit for 30 days is to become a hermit. We'll see.

If you commit it will all make sense. You will only get a fraction of the results unless you do it 100%. Believe me when I say your tastes will change in that amount of time. Pizza and Chinese food were my favorite Friday meals, after we were done I was craving veggies and a tenderloin. Its weird how your brain works.

wjohnson1983

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I did whole30 starting the Monday after Easter. I lost 20lbs and she lost 12. The food wasn't bad. The worst part was having to read all of the food labels, plan meals ahead of time, etc. Plus the price of "Health Foods" is astronomical.

We did the whole reintroduction part and none of the foods bothered us that we had cut out.

With that said, I think it was a great way to lose weight, but we didn't see the benefits everyone else claimed with it.

I first did it last year. Same results here, I lost weight and felt great. Since I've done it four separate times with a modified paleo when finished. Its a great plan. A few days after I finished the first 30, we went out for pizza. I felt like crap for days after eating it.

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
Did it in 2014 and stuck to it the whole time lost 12 lbs felt great. I should do it again...after the summer

HookUp

WKR
I read the "do not eat list" and no way would I try try this diet. No pb, lol the devil is not food its eating to much and not exercising. Cutting out entire food groups is the idiots guide to healthy eating (no offense).

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I did the whole 30 two years ago for the first time. It's definitely been a big improvement. The biggest thing I learned is how much added sugar and crap is in many things I thought were healthy before reading labels.

I had a reaction to gluten on reintroduction. I try to stay away from it for the most part but have it now and again in smaller doses. I lost weight and definitely feel better when eating healthy. I haven't had a soda in 2 years now and don't miss it at all.

We generally try to eat healthy 95% of the time now and have treats now and again. Some things like coconut ice cream, gluten free pasta, and lettuce wrap burgers actually aren't bad. I usually order lettuce wrap burgers eating out now because I notice I feel really bloated and overfull if I don't.

Muleys32

Lil-Rokslider
I read the "do not eat list" and no way would I try try this diet. No pb, lol the devil is not food its eating to much and not exercising. Cutting out entire food groups is the idiots guide to healthy eating (no offense).

Understand your view point there. But the Whole30 isn't a forever thing. It is more to realize how different food groups can change your body and how you feel.

It isn't at all like you assumed it is. It is a cleanse designed to rid your body of traces of "bad" stuff. Its not a lifestyle diet.

I would also argue that a lot of crap in our food is "the devil". The first time I ate Chinese food after the last time I felt really awful. Our bodies get accustomed to the garbage we put in.

AdamW

WKR
CONGRATS! That is not an easy thing to do for a lot of people, me included. My wife has done 61 days before. She's an oak. I'm an ashamed food addict. I just am not mentally tough enough to go that long without cheating. When things get stressful at work or otherwise, instead of having a smoke or drinking, I'm the guy hitting the food.

I'd say 80% of the food in our house at any given time is "compliant". I don't look at it as "eat like this for 30 days" I see it more as "can you not cheat for 30 days?" and the answer for me is no. :D

I have a pretty hard time telling anyone that the system they use for losing weight (and ideally maintaining that lower weight) and feeling better isn't correct. Like vegans insisting it is the healthiest way to eat then eating doritos. You do you.