whoop strap vs garmin watch?

not looking for specifically a gps model, but figured some might have experience with the either. im looking for a watch that will monitor peak heart rate during exercise, get close to calories burned, sleep, and is waterproof (i surf a lot). Does garmin have a watch that is close to this? looking at the instinct or vivoactive. or would a whoop better suit my needs

Garmin watch (I have a Forerunner 35)...any watch...isn't going to do well in water. They just can't get a good signal when soaking on your wrist, at least in my experience and according to the user manual. I'm a big surfer as well. Chest monitor for that. I like Wahoo Fitness TICKR X, since it records up to 16 straight hours of workout in internal memory. Load it back into the app when you come ashore. Battery lasts about a year and it connects really well with my phone.

The Instinct will do all that you're asking plus a lot more. Tough watch, and very reasonably priced. I'm very happy with mine

Except it won't record heart rate while swimming. No current watches accurately record HR underwater or while swimming. But chest monitors will. I think for surfing OP may be able to get some good HR with a watch, but I haven't tested this. Even if there are times when it isn't working, sporadic HR will provide good info.

Backyard

WKR
Except it won't record heart rate while swimming. No current watches accurately record HR underwater or while swimming. But chest monitors will. I think for surfing OP may be able to get some good HR with a watch, but I haven't tested this. Even if there are times when it isn't working, sporadic HR will provide good info.
I dont surf, but I cant imagine one would be too concerned with HR while out hittin the waves Brah.:LOL:

I dont surf, but I cant imagine one would be too concerned with HR while out hittin the waves Brah.:LOL:

As a youngster I couldn't care less. But that was long ago. Old man athletes care about HR. (y)🏄‍♂️Surfing is a pretty gnarly aerobic workout. At 57 I enjoy taking out first timer youngsters and watching their arms turn to noodles within a few minutes.

I wear both a chest HRM and my Garmin watch whenever doing anything active, especially riding off road dirt bikes. Gives you a good sense of fitness over time.

rob86jeep

WKR
If you want a do it all watch, the Garmin Fenix 6 has the oxygen sensor thing that whoop has for sleep tracking, can track all your fitness events, and has GPS for in the woods (and maybe even turn by turn for vehicles now). I've always used my Fenix as a backup when in the woods to mark things like camp, the truck, etc. incase of emergencies.

My Garmin instinct is about as accurate as the weather forecast for next week when it comes to heart rate.... it’s never even close.

My Garmin instinct is about as accurate as the weather forecast for next week when it comes to heart rate.... it’s never even close.

Bigfoot DNA? I'm a hairy man, and at first my Garmin Forerunner 35 was pretty bad. I've since moved it up my wrist above the two bones that poke up near the hand and tightened it a bit during my workouts. It's much better now. Still not as accurate as a chest band, but good enough to evaluate a running-average HR over time.

Bigfoot DNA? I'm a hairy man, and at first my Garmin Forerunner 35 was pretty bad. I've since moved it up my wrist above the two bones that poke up near the hand and tightened it a bit during my workouts. It's much better now. Still not as accurate as a chest band, but good enough to evaluate a running-average HR over time.

😂😂 I have very little arm hair, everywhere else...well we could have a problem 😂 I’ve tried moving it, tightening and loosening it. My wife has even tried it, way off. Like 30-40+ BPM off.

It’s always reading way lower than my actual heart rate.

I knew going in, reviews for heart rate monitoring wasn’t really where the instinct shined, and it was really not high on my priority list of things I wanted out of watch. But it kinda sucks it’s so far off. Maybe it’s my watch and it’s got problems 🤷‍♂️

Titan

WKR
The newer watches do have an upgraded sensor on the back. More accurate, but you aren't going to beat a HRM chest strap for accuracy during a workout.

Most of the Garmins now are totally waterproof. No issue there. Vivoactive 4 would work. If you want more "stuff", get the fenix 6 or 945.

Also, check online for a discount through your health insurance. Almost all of them partner with a company that offers Garmin discount (20-35% off).

OP
bojangles808
i was interested how my heart rate was taking a set on the head compares vs running on a treadmill or hiking a 39% grade. ive been trying to surf a lot more than go to the gym bc i hate it, and was interested in how the different sports affect my body

OP
bojangles808
thanks everyone for the reviews looks like the tech just isnt right there with the watches for what im looking for and chest monitor would be my best bet. 180$ for 6 months witht the whoop just doesnt seem worth it for me either.

rob86jeep

WKR
The newer watches do have an upgraded sensor on the back. More accurate, but you aren't going to beat a HRM chest strap for accuracy during a workout.

Most of the Garmins now are totally waterproof. No issue there. Vivoactive 4 would work. If you want more "stuff", get the fenix 6 or 945.

Also, check online for a discount through your health insurance. Almost all of them partner with a company that offers Garmin discount (20-35% off).
Any more details on this? I plan on getting a new Fenix 6 sometime soon.

Titan

WKR
Essentially, you just want to search your health insurance and "garmin discount". Some providers use their own website, some use a 3rd party.

It's nice to see that $600 price tag drop to $450 or less.