Who's a pulk puller?

Gman

WKR
The snow's starting to come down a little here in CO which means winter camping and hunting is just around the corner. I've spent the last 2 yrs playing around with homemade pulks -- and they're great and very affordable. But last winter I had the opportunity to pull a Kifaru sled and once that door was opened there's no going back. Put in an order the other day and now in 6 weeks I'll be the proud owner of a Civillian model expedition sled. Can't wait!

Anyone else enjoy the force multiplying power of a backcountry pulk?

My soon to be new toy:

sled_main.jpg

One of my homemade pulks with Kifaru tracers... called her "Ellie May" with all the stuff I put in her....

ellieMay1.jpg

Same pulk, less stuff:

IMG_1561.jpg

I've been shoeing for awhile and been really doin it a lot last couple years. planning to build myself a pulk this year. we'll see how it goes. should make camp more comfortable with the ability to haul way too much crap ;)

OP
Gman

Gman

WKR
Crazy,

Once you pull a pulk you'll wonder why you ever carried your gear on your back. If you're on the fence you can make your own for relatively inexpensive to see if you like it then go the Kifaru route after. You'll probably end up there like I did but it was a fun and easy project to make it.

Gman - I just might do that. My buddy made a homemade pulk a couple years ago and still uses it. I like the idea of pulling a bunch of gear like a big tipi with a big stove and a lot of real food.

OP
Gman

Gman

WKR
Check out this site: http://www.skipulk.com/, the free download guide will give you lots of ideas but basically find a plastic sled and use rope and pvc pipe as the traces. That sled works amazingly well. I'd pretty much go that route or the Kifaru route. You don't get much more by going in between. Show us pics when you build it!

And you can pull a ton of real food, BEER, tipis, stoves, etc. I even bring some cut up duraflame logs to make the evening warmth last a bit longer!

OP
Gman

Gman

WKR
Gman,

Have you used the duraflame log in a Kifaru or similar stove?

I have. As your "lawyer" I can't advise you to do so - but it works great. A regular size log is a very tight fit through the opening of a large Kifaru stove (but it will fit with some massaging) so I've taken to bucking up the log into chunks or discs. Also a full size log burns HOT. The stove handled it fine but I can't relax until its burned down a bit.

That sounds like camping in real comfort and style. I am gonna take another look at those Kifaru pulks. If I order in November then I should get it in time for full-on winter camping.

OP
Gman

Gman

WKR
Yep. You won't be sorry. They're expensive but like all their gear every detail is thought out and they're bomb proof. It's a sled for a lifetime.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord