Who's an Elk Slayer?

1 Bull with rifle and 6 cows bow/muzzleloader....If you want to eat elk in Wa, you don't pass any up. ;)
I can't seem to make elk steaks in other states though and not for a lack of trying............

So no, not an elk slayer, just an opportunistic elk harvester. Elk slayers have a room full of horns. :)

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
"I have taken 11 delicious Bulls with a bow, rifle mix. "
Ryan , is that the Idaho outlaw way? Carry a bow and a rifle...in bow season ?...shoot'em with the rifle so they quit running and them stick an arrow in to square it with the law ;)

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
Numerous deer in several states, but 0 bulls and 0 cows in my first two years of elk hunting in CO. This year my hunting buddy and I are hopeful we will be drawn for a semi-guided hunt in northern NM.

I have taken 10 elk in 12 years.
5 cows: rifle season OTC
1 cow: archery OTC
3 bulls: rifle 1 OTC, 2 limited draw
1 bull: archery limited draw

All elk taken were public land. Started when i was 14 and have never looked back. I feel very fortunate and lucky to hunt elk every fall!
Also I have only hunted Colorado but would like to hit some other states in the future.
**Dont forget Colorado Big Game apps deadline is April 2nd!!**

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am not one for numbers, so I will say more than 20, but less than a 100:) Hopefully this soon 2 be 50yr old old body has another 20 in it:)

I don't get to hunt much given limited vacation time and a wife who just doesn't get it. That said I manage to sneak out 1 week each year and have killed 4 elk with my bow since 2005. Two cows, 1 spike, and 1 bull in a so-so OTC Washington unit that you have to draw for to kill a branched bull. Still have a ton of fun and have called in a couple big bulls for my dad as well in the same unit.

huntography

Lil-Rokslider
I hope to become an elk slayer with both my bow and camera. I filmed elk hunters last year in CO and ID and actually just got to hunt one day on the last Saturday of CO archery. I got on a bull that was moving fast but could not get set up to intercept him. It was a rush for sure though. First time solo archery elk hunting and on virgin land that I never stepped foot on before. Just scouted via topo maps.

Excited for this season though...

Rudy

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Ross, I've been to your house. It's a lot more than 20! :)

JasonWi

WKR
I've killed 5 bulls and 2 cows.

1 Spike (bow), 2 5x5, and 2 6x6 points (all rifle). 2 cows with my rifle also. Been involved with quite a few more.

cnelk

WKR
2 with a ML
10 with a rifle
9 with a bow

Prob 50/50 bulls and cows

All public land in Colorado

Greenhorn

FNG
20 bulls since 93, all 6x6 or better, 7 with arrows. The biggest ones usually get away still.

unm1136

WKR
I would love to be on this list, but I have to draw a tag first. I miss the days of over the counter tags here... When I could get them I didn't know what to do with them. Now that I know what to do with them, I can't get them.

I guess they are a lot like women.

pat

Tim

FNG
Ive harvested 16 elk since I was 14, i'm now 25. Three cows eleven bulls all in the idaho panhandle.