Who's an Elk Slayer?

Moe.JKU

FNG
A guy with DIY kills, on land that doesn't feed them or farm them for hunting, where there are just let be makes him more of a slayer. Anyone with money can go on a guided trip and get put right in the honey hole without know a thing about elk and get one. Its not hard to shoot a fish in a barrel if you know what I mean.
But to each there own, I guess its hard if you don't live in an area that has public land to hunt, in remote areas.

A guy with DIY kills, on land that doesn't feed them or farm them for hunting, where there are just let be makes him more of a slayer. Anyone with money can go on a guided trip and get put right in the honey hole without know a thing about elk and get one. Its not hard to shoot a fish in a barrel if you know what I mean.
But to each there own, I guess its hard if you don't live in an area that has public land to hunt, in remote areas.

My first elk hunt was in 2008. It was a dropcamp hunt in the Flattop Wilderness in Colorado. Shot my elk (a raghorn 5x5 that looked HUGE to me haha) 30 minutes after first light on the opening morning of my season (2nd rifle).

Skipped 2009, but went again in 2010, 2011, and 2012 on guided archery hunts. The first was in Idaho. Showed up to camp and there was a bull bugling the first night 200 yards from our cabin. Thought it was going to be a piece of cake. Hunted 5 days harder than I've ever hunted in my life and saw a total of 3 elk. The next year was the first year I put in for a primo tag. Got drawn for the Valle Vidal in New Mexico. Hired a guide who is probably one of the most famous in the elk hunting business. Probably saw 500 elk in 6 days of hunting. Passed on a few "smaller" bulls and ended up not getting it done. Next year went back to New Mexico and hunted Unit 13 with one of the best outfitters in the business. Saw a lot fewer elk and never even came close to having a chance to draw back the bow.

My experience, contrary to Roy's (bohuntr), is that anything can happening when bowhunting elk and it's definitely not as easy as getting dropped off in the honey hole -- maybe I'm just cursed when it comes to killing an archery bull! I've been on two mule deer hunts and am 2 for 2. They are a lot easier :D

0 for 2=You must live in West Virginia.

Durn Eastern Tenderfoots anyways:D

And I am back on the front page!

0-2 called in a nice 7x7 my first year within 80 yards of me with 2 shooters 40 yards in front but no shot. Hooked for life watching him rake a tree at 80 yards while the shooters couldn't even see him.IvI've since moved my range to 90 yards comfort level with my bow so if it ever happens again ill take the shot.

Here is a simple system I just thought up:

1-4= you just got lucky
5-9=maybe you’re on to something
10-14= you’re still not impressing any chicks with those stats.
15-19=you were dropped on your head as a child
20-24=you might have an IQ less than 80

Love it Dink! Makes me laugh...

Last edited:
I have killed 4 bulls 1 with archery gear, 2 were six points and 2 were five points. I have missed 3 bulls my first 3 years archery hunting, BUll FEVER! I have also killed 3 cows with a bow and 3 with a rifle. All were DIY public land!

After over 30yrs of hunting the same unit, I lost count.
But can say Five 5pt rag bulls, Zero big bulls (like to eat), and prob at least 10spikes and a bunch of cows.
Twice Brother & I have laid sxs shooting double bulls on the count of 3.

But only one qualifies me as a bonified elk slayer....
That was a cow I killed as a teen when I snuck up on it in the snow, jumped on it's back and stuck it w/ my Old Timer, finallying clawing my way up to it's head to slit it's throat.
True story. You can call the Cheif of Police in Enterprise, Oregon on that one for verification.
Hunt'nFish

DSCN3110.jpg

Last edited:

Rackmastr

WKR
I have been on a pile of very successful elk hunts with probably over 20-25 animals or so. I'm 30 years old now and have taken 5 bulls myself and one cow. All rifle except the cow which was a muzzleloader hunt. I've put rounds into another 3-4 bulls while hunting with friends.