Who's an Elk Slayer?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
It's March and I am bored. Lot's of people talk a mean elk game, but this will tell the tale. I have taken 11 delicious Bulls with a bow, rifle mix. I know that the Reaper and Ross have taken a few:) How about you?

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I'm sitting at 8. Hunting AZ while growing up, so tags weren't like CO now, so thats a damn good number haha. Definitely gonna keep adding to that number.

TRIPLE

Lil-Rokslider
I think I'm qualified, but recently retired (sort of). I had a 12 year kill streak until a couple years ago, then I virtually quit elk hunting in search of accomplishing mule deer goals. I do still spend alot of time guiding and helping friends with limited entry tags though. With that all said, I'd rather kill (with any weapon) a 180+ mule deer over a 360+ bull.

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sitting at 17 bulls all with archery gear. That includes a 9 year dry streak when I tried with a recurve but just couldn't get it done. Some day I'll do it! I just enjoy the time off work and being out there with friends. I also enjoy taking pics and vids and digiscoping and setting up trail cameras. Probably been in on another 20 or so bow kills that friends have made. Still get excited and can't wait every year. I even manage to still get some too.

I have eight bull elk. Six of the bulls are 6 points. The best three gross scored 335, 353 and 367 gross. Three are Roosevelts from Oregon (5 point, and two six points).

I'm sitting on 15 points in Arizona, max in Utah, max in Wyoming, and 21 in Colorado for elk

magpie

Banned
I think you guys are all full of BS. The wolves were reintroduced in 1996 and there hasn't been an elk killed since then. FACT.

;)

magpie

Banned
I've killed 4 bulls and 10 cows. All public land OTC units except for one.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have eight bull elk. Six of the bulls are 6 points. The best three gross scored 335, 353 and 367 gross. Three are Roosevelts from Oregon (5 point, and two six points).

I'm sitting on 15 points in Arizona, max in Utah, max in Wyoming, and 21 in Colorado for elk

Wow! Your set up for some serious Elk hunts. I have 14 points in Utah. I hope to draw over the next couple of years. Good Luck!

I too have slayed an elk. 2013 will be my 3rd year elk hunting so I'm a little behind you guys on opportunity alone. Some of these kill tallies are outstanding.

flytrait...good point...

so here goes...
5 rifle
8 bow
all MT public land OCT
7 in wilderness

Check out greenhorn' s elk picture posts! There's an elk slayer!

bz_711

WKR
No wonder I learn so much on this site - fantastic job guys!

I'm still not seeing many Elk in IL:) But I get 5 full days each year archery OTC in CO...currently 0-3, but missed on day 1 last year, and day 2 I spent an hour within 50 yds of a magnificent bugling bull...could not find the clear shot I needed. Needless to say, I'm hooked for life.

Only about 5 months for some of you...
...sadly - just a whitetail slayer here...

bern0134

FNG
4 bulls in the last 11 years with 4 cows in between, all with rifle. My last rifle bull convinced me I needed to switch to archery for bull hunts which was 2 years ago. I didn't get to go hunting last year. Looking forward to this year though for the opportunity

2rocky

WKR
Bought my FIRST Elk Tag in Idaho in 1994
Missed my First elk in Oregon in 1995
Didn't have an elk tag from 1997-2005
2006 Killed first elk in Oregon

Since then I have had an elk tag every year except 2009 and accounted for the demise of 7 bulls, in 3 states. Assisted with a few others as well.

I got to thinking about this as I didn't draw my Wyoming elk tag this year and don't plan to hunt Elk unless my longshot applications come through.