Who’s doing Kodiak 2021

wtrbrdm

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Dateline: Thursday 21 October 2021

I pull into the parking lot when I get a frantic phone call from my kids (16 and 18) mother back in Maryland. Family emergency involving one of my sons. We talk for a few minutes as I stand by my truck....looking into the camper top at my 2 bags and rifle case. My only thought is, "well....I guess it comes with the dad category". I get back into the truck and exit... Instead of heading back to Colorado Springs to drop off gear and grab clothes, I turn onto I70 east bound to start my 20 hour overland back east. I know my ex well enough to know when things are serious.

Last night....wheels down back in Colorado Springs.

No one's dead or dying, but heading to be with family was easily the right call. Family first, especially my sons.

Now I just hope my hunting party is having a fantastic trip / hunt on Kodiak......I'll get 'em next year.

Hope everyone on this thread heading up will slay em. Maybe good karma will look down on me when I hit Pagosa Springs in a few weeks when I head out with my OTC bull elk tag.

Heading down on the 9th of November hunting the far south end. Would love to hear some hunt reports or any rumors about buck numbers down that way!

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
We were on the island during the 3rd week of October. We saw a few deer and a boat load of bears. Buddy killed a nice buck with the rifle, I shot one with my bow that we watched die before rolling head over heels to the bottom of the mountain we had climbed. Once we got down there, the deer was nowhere to be found. We looked for 3 hours until we ran out of light. Our only guess was a bear drug it off???

The winds there are no joke. We had 2 brutal nights in my Cabelas Alaskan Guide 6 man tent from it lying flat on us. On the 4th night, we shattered some poles and shredded the rain fly. Luckily the rain was minimal and we were able to repair the broken poles with arrows and duct tape and the next morning used trash bags to patch the rain fly. Had the winds brought heavy rains also, we might have been in trouble.

It was an awesome experience though and given that I came home without a buck, I’ll definitely be back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
Just got this buck in Ugak Bay. There were some deer but I wouldn't say if compares to past years. 430yards with my xp-100 in 330 dakota
2d15bb8748e6b4e8aae457a26a15d8b7.jpg

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

crich

WKR
Dateline: Thursday 21 October 2021

I pull into the parking lot when I get a frantic phone call from my kids (16 and 18) mother back in Maryland. Family emergency involving one of my sons. We talk for a few minutes as I stand by my truck....looking into the camper top at my 2 bags and rifle case. My only thought is, "well....I guess it comes with the dad category". I get back into the truck and exit... Instead of heading back to Colorado Springs to drop off gear and grab clothes, I turn onto I70 east bound to start my 20 hour overland back east. I know my ex well enough to know when things are serious.

Last night....wheels down back in Colorado Springs.

No one's dead or dying, but heading to be with family was easily the right call. Family first, especially my sons.

Now I just hope my hunting party is having a fantastic trip / hunt on Kodiak......I'll get 'em next year.

Hope everyone on this thread heading up will slay em. Maybe good karma will look down on me when I hit Pagosa Springs in a few weeks when I head out with my OTC bull elk tag.
Good call there's always next year. Ive had to bail last second in the past, albeit not at the airport like you. We had just found out my daughter (9 months at the time) needed to undergo 4 major surgeries within the next 3 months. My decision not to go ended the hunt for my partner too. Tough but yet an easy call to make at the same time. Good luck with the elk hunt 👍

Blacktailaddiction

Lil-Rokslider
Bucks were starting to rut pretty good last week when I was there. Saw a lot of big ones still way up high with the does up there, but some of the does we saw down low had bucks with them but not normally. Old harbor.

Just got home, ZERO rut, saw between 6-35 doe a day, no buck trailing... weather was unreal, 1" snow to 2" rain EVERY day! Had 3 sunny days out of nine.... saw more bears than bucks.... it was an awesome experience, but damn... it was rough.
Did have one buddy in camp get a decent goat...

ppwack02

Lil-Rokslider
Well I just got back from my excursion. Had a bear tag, but only saw two in 11 days. Rut seems to just be kicking off the last few days. Shot a couple of nice 8 pointers though.

Attachments

• received_317696906411899.jpeg
    received_317696906411899.jpeg
    532.7 KB · Views: 96
  • received_1227839234366477.jpeg
    received_1227839234366477.jpeg
    474.9 KB · Views: 98
  • received_929193194685321.jpeg
    received_929193194685321.jpeg
    537.7 KB · Views: 95

narikdmc

FNG
We are going to try and hunt down the east side of the island, looks like we have a mooring buoy to go set in Ugak bay, also going to try and tag my emperor goose while I’m there.
Where in Ugak, by chance? how much to have one set? I just bought a 10 acre chucnk on the beach next to Eagle Bay, acrsoss from Pasagshak and planning a cabin.