Who's going Mt. Lion hunting w/out dogs this year?

With 4th season ending soon here in Colorado its getting me pretty excited to get out and cat hunt with mouth calls. This will be my 7th year trying without success. With the amount of cat tracks I cut this year I'm feeling pretty optimistic. Anyone else trying to call in these apex predators with mouth calls?

Fitzwho

WKR
I'm thinking about having a tag in my pocket while I'm elk hunting in AZ next week. Usually guarantees that I won't see one. But I'd rather not see one than see one without a tag in my pocket. If I get some time I may try calling.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to throw a bear tag in my pocket too. They are just cheap enough in AZ that I wouldn't feel too bad about eating the tags.

OP
mattferg84
I'm thinking about having a tag in my pocket while I'm elk hunting in AZ next week. Usually guarantees that I won't see one. But I'd rather not see one than see one without a tag in my pocket. If I get some time I may try calling.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to throw a bear tag in my pocket too. They are just cheap enough in AZ that I wouldn't feel too bad about eating the tags.

That's usually the case with me too. At least for bear anyway. I carry a tag every year just in case and the only time I have gotten close to one was the day before season!

Bdjones

Lil-Rokslider
Waiting for snow in North Dakota.

I called one in last year right at dark but never got a shot off.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Carpenterant

Lil-Rokslider
Never tried with mouth calls but I usually will try a few times a year to call with an e caller. Never had any luck

Rainyday

FNG
I’ve never seen mouth reeds for cougar before, is there a certain brand you use?

I have. Cut tracks and follow as quiet and quick as you can. You will learn as you go if you pay attention. It is brutal. Love/hate type thing... But being on a fresh track at first light almost produces a "high" for me. Makes my ears buzz and heart beat.

jmez

WKR
Find a fresh track and follow. I've walked one down, it isn't that difficult. A lot of lions killed in SD that way. When they figure out you are following them they will start looping back and watching you. Then have to watch behind as well as in front of you.

If you are going to call your time is better spent with a plan rather than just random calling with random sounds. Lions mate and eat. They dont have a defined breeding season.

Try to cut fresh tracks then follow them. If they are going in a fairly straight line lion isn't hungry and looking for a mate. If they are wandering back and forth, in and out of bushes they are looking for food. Once you figure out what they are up to start looping way out in front of the tracks, best if you have roads to do it on. If you cut the track loop again. When you don't cut the track the lion is somewhere between you and the lady set of tracks. Set up and call with sounds based on what they are doing.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

OP
mattferg84
I’ve never seen mouth reeds for cougar before, is there a certain brand you use?
I use a hunter specialties fawn in distress, turkey call or rabbit in distress. We cant use electronic decoys here in Colorado anymore so I usually use one of the above calls with a turkey decoy.

Voyageur

WKR
I like this thread.
I hope all who will be hunting lions without dogs this winter will periodically report back on what they've experienced...successes, failures, the works. I know I've got lots I can learn about hunting cats.

OP
mattferg84
I like this thread.
I hope all who will be hunting lions without dogs this winter will periodically report back on what they've experienced...successes, failures, the works. I know I've got lots I can learn about hunting cats.
I agree. Would love to hear everyones tactics and how that changes throughout everyone's season. Lets hope for some snow soon here in Colorado. Its been pretty dry as most of you know.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Voyageur

WKR
My tactic last year was simple. I was sitting in a deer stand and a young male comes walking down deer trail in front of my stand! 15 yard shot with my bow.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
That is great. It's my dream every year, but hasn't happened yet.

bbell

WKR
I have the rain shadow sounds on my foxpro and am hoping to try them out this year. There have been a few around the property lately.