Who’s got a tried and true bone in leg roast recipe

So an acquaintance of mine gourmet chef has kind of left me hanging on a bone in blacktail leg I have in the freezer.

I’ve never tried bone in.

So hit me with your favorite recipe.

Bulldawg

WKR
Like a front quarter bone in?

I have a ham brining right now that I’m going to smoke tomorrow and that’s really really good.

For front quarters I’ll usually saw in half for two meals. But I’ll season with salt and pepper, sear in a dutch oven and then set aside. Cooke some onions in the pan then pour some red wine in to deglaze the pan scraping all the brown bits up. Put the roast back in cover with stock and cook on a low setting or place in the oven at 300. Checking periodically to make sure there’s still liquid in it. After about 4-5 hours it’ll be dork tender and I’ll shred it off the bone. Could then make some French dips, I’ll sometimes toss in a pan with some bbq sauce and have bbq, or I’ll eat like pot roast with mashed potatoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulldawg

WKR
Sorry it’s a bone in ham I guess

I have brined and smoked a couple hams this year, it has quickly become a favorite of mine. Turns out nice and Smokey and salty like what most are used to with a ham, I will fry some up in the mornings for breakfast or slice and make a ham sammich sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jfs82

WKR
Salt, pepper and sear the leg, then move it to the side for a bit. sautee a big onion, 4 ish garlic cloves in some butter/fat/olive oil then stir in some tomato paste and cook for a little longer. stock and red wine, porcini mushrooms (any mushroom but porcini has tons of flavor), sprig rosemary, few bay leaves, salt and pepper... Add the leg back in cover in tight wrapped foil, oven braise at 300. I'd let it go til when you lift up the bone and push a little all the meat will come off in one big hunk.

Then if you want skim the braising liquid and cook it down and use it as a sauce... Serve it all over some polenta/mashed or roasted potatoes

They're phenomenal. You can braise them, or just slow cook them, and they'll turn out great. Seems to me that leaving the bone in just amplifies the taste. Works on front shoulders too. And as GPool1842 said, osso bucco for the shanks.

Have you looked into Hank Shaw's recipes? He is awesome and I haven't been steered wrong yet. I did a bone-in whitetail leg with his Roast Venison with Bavarian Dumplings recipe, and it was fantastic. You can google his website (honest food) for the recipe.

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
Crockpot, dutch oven, smoker, sous vide. Pretty much any low and slow preparation is going to turn out amazing.

Recently made osso bucco in a Dutch oven, braised. I have the meat eater book but ended up going with a recipe that was supposedly closer to the authentic Italian way. Turned out awesome and I'll also be exploring more bone-in dishes in the future.