Who's hunting moose this year?

OP
bowuntr

bowuntr

WKR
I hope it's colder than sh!t... two years ago it was T-shirt weather for 12 days. Can't wait... 14 days... Ed F

Daniel_M

WKR
Last year was monsoon weather.

Rivers were flooding, hunters were stranded. I hope the past 4-5 days aren't a precursor into the next 4 weeks!! Pack for the worst, hope for the best!

Referenced your comment of packing and repacking 3 times. We're pushin quick turnaround here between hunts,under 48 hrs from one to another.

gotcha, I wish it would get here. Think I'm going to spend tomorrow playing with gear again....

Moose have lately the past couple years been secondary to sheep hunting for me. After being part of 50+ moose falling over the allure of sheep is more appealing.....until I get too old to climb up the hillls, then moose might become the priority again...or if our freezer ever goes empty. You can one of just about every other species in the state (aside from elk and bison) and still end up with hte same amount of meat as a mature bull moose .:D

That pretty much sums up my theory.... or so I thought. My freezer was still had enough reserves to last till the winter moose seasons, and I burned all my vacation and brownie points on the annual sheep attempt, so moose wasn't in the plans until at least December.

But when a bull appears:

1. half mile from a road
2. during daylight hours (and it wasn't even raining!)
3. On dry, flat ground
4. DURING HUNTING SEASON

Well.... just finished another years marathon moose cutting session and its all in the freezer now. It was just a little meat bull, but what are the odds of the above four items ever lining up again in my lifetime? I mean, I've killed my share of the big beasts, and have assisted with several dozen others, and that kind of thing just doesn't happen.

Yk

WKR
Heck, I am just hunting cows and I am excited. Good luck to all you bull hunters. A bull hunt is something I need to do sometime after all the college tuitions are paid for. For now, a nice cow in the freezer is actually going to be just fine.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Well done YK...you never pass up those gimmie moose! Still a lot of work, but compared to many of the others you've been involved with I'm sure the antler size/distance from the road ratio was right on point. Congrats on a filling the freezer!

Well done YK...you never pass up those gimmie moose! Still a lot of work, but compared to many of the others you've been involved with I'm sure the antler size/distance from the road ratio was right on point. Congrats on a filling the freezer!

After last years adventures with broken equipment, multiple grizzly's, and biblical rains in Sept, and then the -20 F solo hunt last December.... I'm plenty grateful for an easy one. Yep, no hesitation at all. Like I said, it will probably never happen again.

Beside, my original plan was to fill a cow tag, so any antlers at all is an improvement!

Yk