Who's Moose Hunting Alaska 2020?

I don't know how many consecutive years this makes, but I'll be back to Fairbanks again in early September. My trip was looking like a solo back in March, then fate intervened and a great partner materialized. I am really happy to have a hardcore bowhunter, outdoorsman and experienced moose hunter join me this year. Jeff is the kind of guy who finds a way to succeed, so I believe there's a great bull somewhere munching willows and unaware of the trouble headed his direction...

UXNgSPFl.jpg

With the pandemic appearing to build again, there's no doubt this year's trip will be dicey in many respects. Nothing to do except stay healthy and hope it happens with as few bumps as possible. I can sure use some silence, and a bit of scenery like this:

EUTYSYNl.jpg

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
I'm planning to go on my first ever Alaska hunting trip. Never been to Alaska yet. So far, I'll be going solo. Getting dropped off by an air transporter for a diy hunt in unit 16b. Weather permitting, I'll fly in the 12th and hunt till the 25th if I have to. Still trying to research what gear I need for the hunt and reading up on here some. Only decided I'm doing it for sure a couple weeks ago so it's very last minute and have a ton of gear to get ready plus should start trying to get in shape. Have experience camping and fishing in Ontario though so not worried there but getting a moose out will be a struggle I'm sure. Good luck to all.

If you feel up to it, post a report on this. I’ve got a few friends and a few brothers I like to hunt with, but so far, none are willing to commit to a big trip like this, of the type that requires some planning with money a few years out. So I’ve contemplated attempting a trip like this solo, maybe in 2025. Meantime, I’m in the process of booking in Newfoundland in 2023. I’d love to hear how it goes for you.

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
Heading back this Fall with PapaBear for another float hunt. Im looking at thie trip as my "redemption tour", as it was a successful hunt in 2018, but not without adversity. I plan on doing another write up of our adventure. This time there will be blue skies throughout, regardless of the outcome! Good luck to all those in pursuit

Alright ladies and gentleman... we're getting really close! I thought it would be cool to start a thread for all the guys headed up north this year for moose and bounce things off one another. Not that this will help trying to get through the next couple months without going crazy thinking about the hunt haha. Lets keep the anticipation high!

I've been planning this trip for over 3 years now.

My Father, Uncle and I are headed to Dillingham for our hunt.
Our flight leaves Kansas City on the 2nd. We'll stay the night in Anchorage and head to Dillingham on the 3rd. Hoping to get into the bush hours after our arrival..... of course, weather permitting.

In the unit we're hunting the season will go from the 5th to the 15th so the couple extra days ahead of the trip will be nice for scouting and getting acclimated to the area.

50" 4 brow tine unit.

Only 69 days!
Who you guys using? Some big bulls in 17.

wolfpup

FNG
If you feel up to it, post a report on this. I’ve got a few friends and a few brothers I like to hunt with, but so far, none are willing to commit to a big trip like this, of the type that requires some planning with money a few years out. So I’ve contemplated attempting a trip like this solo, maybe in 2025. Meantime, I’m in the process of booking in Newfoundland in 2023. I’d love to hear how it goes for you.
I'll try and post a report. Getting excited for the hunt! Fingers crossed everything works out and a big bull dies. Any legal bull will do. If he has the 3 brow tines and less than 50 inches, he will die. Dreaming on that 60 incher though with lots of brow tines. I'm trying to find a partner, but am selective. Did a hunt last year for elk with a buddy and it was a disaster. Just wasn't anywhere near hardcore enough for me. These trips take money. A lot of guys 'want to' but aren't willing to pay the money. Then you have those that are selfish and 'me first'. It'll be pure torture getting the moose packed out myself and I'll do it, or die trying. If I could get a babysitter, I'd take the ol lady along. It'd be one heck of a vacation with the 2 of us but we have 4 lively kids from 2-9. Get your trip started. Guys do it solo. I'm 34, getting older by the day, and should have done this 10 years ago. Good luck in Newfoundland

Aeast

Lil-Rokslider
4 of us will be flying out of Tok, can't wait!!

Anyone else look at the travel regs and restrictions currently about the kung flu? Kind of confusing if there has to be a quarantine period or not? Anyone have any clarification on this? From what I read it's this, or that or this..

VernAK

WKR

Anyone else look at the travel regs and restrictions currently about the kung flu? Kind of confusing if there has to be a quarantine period or not? Anyone have any clarification on this? From what I read it's this, or that or this..

Check in the "caribou" conversation........Kevin Dill is keeping current on the topic.

When are you flying out of Tok?

AKBorn

WKR
I drew a tag for the Yukon, will be making the run from the bridge up several hundred miles.
Steve, if I recall correctly didn't you do the Yukon hunt several years ago with a family, and watched a couple of brothers shot a big one far from the river, and they packed it out through the tough stuff?

OP
Robinhood21

Good luck Aeast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKBorn

WKR
Taking my wife, uncle and his best friend into 40 mile country for a caribou/moose/grizzly hunt and we are really looking forward to it. Hopefully everyone's plans and hunts go off without a hitch. Best of luck!

Nick, when we were getting dropped last Fall for our early September caribou hunt, we saw quite a few bull moose on the flight into camp (we were up in the Charley River country, but saw the moose closer to Tok), including a couple of monsters! Hope you guys run into one of those...

AKBorn

WKR
I'm planning to go on my first ever Alaska hunting trip. Never been to Alaska yet. So far, I'll be going solo. Getting dropped off by an air transporter for a diy hunt in unit 16b. Weather permitting, I'll fly in the 12th and hunt till the 25th if I have to. Still trying to research what gear I need for the hunt and reading up on here some. Only decided I'm doing it for sure a couple weeks ago so it's very last minute and have a ton of gear to get ready plus should start trying to get in shape. Have experience camping and fishing in Ontario though so not worried there but getting a moose out will be a struggle I'm sure. Good luck to all.

You are pulling off a daunting adventure, best of luck to you! if you want, shoot me an email at [email protected] and I'm happy to share some gear/food/etc. lists that I have put together over the years. Just retired in January and getting my home ready to sell, so no AK hunt for me this year, I will live vicariously through the rest of you.

Stid2677

WKR
Steve, if I recall correctly didn't you do the Yukon hunt several years ago with a family, and watched a couple of brothers shot a big one far from the river, and they packed it out through the tough stuff?
Yes Sir. I drew a Novi Tag, so jetboat up and heavy camping for us this trip. :)

AKBorn

WKR
September 8-22, fly-in, DIY, moose & caribou if they decide to pass our way again this year. Taking a friend who will get first dibs. Hope that the huge one I saw last year (and got within 70 yards) shows up again. B&C for sure so he will place well in P&Y. My job this year is guide and pack mule.

John, is your friend a traditional longbow hunter also? My buddy Mike and I ran into you and your hunt partner back in 2014 I believe, on an intermediate ridge that 40 Mile uses to stage hunters to their hunting spots. You were kind enough to recall a little of the 2012 adventure for us, I wanted my buddy to hear firsthand what the weather can do up there.

OP
Robinhood21
If you have time - maybe check with your outfitter/transporter before picking up the bear tag. Some areas have black bears around, some not so much...

I did and he said there was a good chance to get a good one. When in Rome...

AKBorn

WKR
I did and he said there was a good chance to get a good one. When in Rome...

Awesome! Back in 2004 we saw a TOAD of a black bear along the Chichitnok River while we were hunting moose and bou. If it hadn't been about 30 minutes until dark and he was across the river and about a mile out, we would have gone after him...