Who's Moose Hunting Alaska 2021?!?

OP
Robinhood21
Dad, brother, and myself leave in 1 week. First time for us all. Cant wait! Cant count how many times ive packed and unpacked my gear. Lol

Good luck to everyone else going!

Man that sounds like an awesome time! Good luck, you guys are about to make some memories!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Robinhood21
Just packed and weighed all my gear. First moose hunt, first fly in hunt. Leave on the 16th!!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Best of luck to ya! You’re in for a treat!

AKDoc

WKR
If travel to Bethel and then to the bush go as planned, we should be hunting in exactly one week. Our gear made it safely to Bethel. I feel kind of like a little kid on Christmas Eve…….
Just got back from a 10-day fly fishing float out there yesterday...heading back on Thursday for a two-week moose hunt.

Best of luck to you and all who are coming up...have safe and wonderful adventures!

IMG_4854.jpg

Nykki

Lil-Rokslider
Leaving Tuesday for moose camp, my hunting partner passed away last year so going solo this year.

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
It's still a little warm around here so I probably wont head up river to moose camp for another week or so. Just finished cutting up caribou and got all the gear put away from a float trip. I'll start the new pile of gear later this week..

Dropped off gear at AK Air Cargo this morning and talked with the agent about the one set of antlers per plane deal. She works cargo and ticket counter in ANC and it seemed like she has been there for a good amount of time. She hadn't heard anything about the one antler per plane policy. In fact she said she's already booked several flights with multiple antlers as checked oversized baggage out of state. She pulled up a copy of their current handbook and searched all the main keywords ("antlers" "moose" etc.). She stated that one set of antlers per passenger is a new policy in their handbook. But she couldn't find anything about one set per plane. She also said that it's likely the one set of antlers per plane could be a policy for their Horizon Airlines partner flights. Which makes sense. Also, she said that oversized baggage is the first to go standby if the plane is full - which would include antlers. Typically I throw everything on a pallet including all my gear, meat, and antlers; then it gets shrink wrapped and shipped home. She didn't have any doubts that would be a problem.

On the other hand, I talked to a friend who is an outfitter about it the other day and he said that the airport they fly out of specifically told him that it's one set per plane. Based on that and the various responses I've seen people post from their personal inquiries, it seems like there is widespread misunderstanding among AK Airlines employees as a whole. Take it all FWIW and play your odds I guess.

Sidenote: it was 40 degrees and partly cloudy this morning. I saw two separate bulls on the move (about 40 inchers). And almost hit a black bear. Things are moving.

USMC2602

WKR
My pack bag and rifle case are by the front door. All I have to do in the morning is throw my toiletries into my carry on. Start the trip around 8:00 am in KC, should be in Bethel by 8:00 pm local time tomorrow night. To say I'm pumped would be the understatement of a lifetime. Guessing I won't sleep for schitt tonight, will have multiple alarms set, guaranteed I'll be up before any of them go off.

Russp17

WKR
Dropped off gear at AK Air Cargo this morning and talked with the agent about the one set of antlers per plane deal. She works cargo and ticket counter in ANC and it seemed like she has been there for a good amount of time. She hadn't heard anything about the one antler per plane policy. In fact she said she's already booked several flights with multiple antlers as checked oversized baggage out of state. She pulled up a copy of their current handbook and searched all the main keywords ("antlers" "moose" etc.). She stated that one set of antlers per passenger is a new policy in their handbook. But she couldn't find anything about one set per plane. She also said that it's likely the one set of antlers per plane could be a policy for their Horizon Airlines partner flights. Which makes sense. Also, she said that oversized baggage is the first to go standby if the plane is full - which would include antlers. Typically I throw everything on a pallet including all my gear, meat, and antlers; then it gets shrink wrapped and shipped home. She didn't have any doubts that would be a problem.

On the other hand, I talked to a friend who is an outfitter about it the other day and he said that the airport they fly out of specifically told him that it's one set per plane. Based on that and the various responses I've seen people post from their personal inquiries, it seems like there is widespread misunderstanding among AK Airlines employees as a whole. Take it all FWIW and play your odds I guess.

Sidenote: it was 40 degrees and partly cloudy this morning. I saw two separate bulls on the move (about 40 inchers). And almost hit a black bear. Things are moving.

William, I heard it is one set per plane on commercial flights not there cargo flights. Since you are sending cargo I doubt you have any issue. That's at least my understanding.

AKDoc

WKR
My pack bag and rifle case are by the front door. All I have to do in the morning is throw my toiletries into my carry on. Start the trip around 8:00 am in KC, should be in Bethel by 8:00 pm local time tomorrow night. To say I'm pumped would be the understatement of a lifetime. Guessing I won't sleep for schitt tonight, will have multiple alarms set, guaranteed I'll be up before any of them go off.

Usmc-best of luck. I am a week and 1 day behind you!!!

Best of luck to both of you for a safe and wonderful adventure!

I leave tomorrow morning for Bethel, and hope to be in the field this time tomorrow for two-weeks with a take-out scheduled for 9/23.

Last edited:
Good Luck to everyone chasing moose this year!

My son and I are well into our plans to be there next year!
I just returned from fishing the In Homer, Soldotna, and Seward. The Fishing was outstanding! AK Airlines was on point getting me, my gear, and my catch home on time and without hassle.

I’m looking forward to following everyone’s stories on your return!

VernAK

WKR
I was out crane/goose hunting yesterday and had a 40" bull moose grunting. Our spring was late and fall seems same as leaves are at least ten days behind normal.

Glad to hear Alaska Airlines is performing as many of us have been upset with em and refer to AA as Seattle Airlines. They seem to have more difficulty than most airlines with this Covid issue.

Nontyp

FNG
We head out of KC on Sunday to get after some moose. 6 of us are going spread out over 3 camps. I’m going to unpack /repack one more time tomorrow.

bmrfish

WKR
I am right behind you CNELK. In Anchorage ready to board to Bethel. Stay safe and aim small.