Who's Moose Hunting Alaska 2022?!?

My son and I will be going to the southern Brooks September 4. We’ve had to overcome a huge challenge, when our bush pilot bailed on us at the last minute. Miraculously, and through a hell of a lot of calling, we found someone and WE ARE GOING!..

I am a bit concerned about all of the fires…. I hear the smoke is heavy.. Visual Flight Rules.. Will the fires ground some of the bush flights? We’re inside of 60 days…. I do hope it rains enough to control all of those fires..

I do sincerely wish everyone thats going a Safe and Successful Trip. The information shared here by so many has been a huge help in making our trip a possibility. So Thank You Everyone.!
There are mixed feelings on this, but I say out pilot if you really got hosed.

There are certainly some shysters out there. Glad you got it all back together

mooster

WKR
9C3BD425-40DB-4558-A736-B144AD9D5471.jpeg
Yep hopefully headed back in Sept too! Sure hoping the fuel prices moderate a bit as the budgets gonna take a beating at the present prices. I've been too scared to ask my air taxi what the upcharge will be, but know its not in his control so will gladly cover him.

Last edited:

Tyson

FNG
Got on the books a year and a half ago for 2024 with Larry Bartlett handling the logistics. The wait is killing me… 👊👊👊
I both love and hate planning hunting trips way ahead of time........ feels great to book it and know you're going, but the wait royally sucks

mooster

WKR
I both love and hate planning hunting trips way ahead of time........ feels great to book it and know you're going, but the wait royally sucks
I guess I’m getting old as the wait, planning, and anticipation seem to make half of the fun of the trip. I'm constantly pouring over my gear list, updating my spreadsheets, weighing and reconsidering gear options. I hate to know how many hours I’ve spent on google earth and GAIA gps plotting and exploring in advance.

Last edited:

Tyson

FNG
I guess I’m getting old as the wait, planning, and anticipation seem to make half of the fun of the trip. I hate to know how many hours I’m on google earth and GAIA gps plotting and exploring in advance.
I love the planning, it adds to the excitement, Seems like there is always more research to do and more ridges to look at on google earth, keeps me motivated while I wait

OP
Robinhood21
My first moose hunt I booked over 3 years in advance. There wasn't a day that went by that I didn't obsess about it. Those 3 years waiting was a drag but the juice was well worth the squeeze

Voyageur

WKR
I guess I’m getting old as the wait, planning, and anticipation seem to make half of the fun of the trip. I'm constantly pouring over my gear list, weighing and reconsidering gear options. I hate to know how many hours I’m on google earth and GAIA gps plotting and exploring in advance.
Amen, brother.

AKDoc

WKR
I guess I’m getting old as the wait, planning, and anticipation seem to make half of the fun of the trip. I'm constantly pouring over my gear list, weighing and reconsidering gear options. I hate to know how many hours I’m on google earth and GAIA gps plotting and exploring in advance.
I'm also the same, and it is a fun part of every trip for me as well...anticipating the trip, planning, staging my gear, rethinking to keep the weight down, double-checking, etc. I'm always the "go-to guy" on every trip because my family and friends know that I usually have what is needed or have materials to fix it.

Unlike a good friend who said last year that he would bring the coffee for our two-week fly-in moose hunt...only to discover in the field that he forgot to pack it. I was pissed, but held it together as we decaffeinated in the field!!!!

Am I weird for thinking I'm not gonna shoulder mount my moose, should i get one? I think moose euros look so damn cool that I'm debating doing a euro over fur. I have maybe 10 mounts already of various other animals and probably the same amount of euros. I've noticed over the years I lean more toward euro.

mooster

WKR
Am I weird for thinking I'm not gonna shoulder mount my moose, should i get one? I think moose euros look so damn cool that I'm debating doing a euro over fur. I have maybe 10 mounts already of various other animals and probably the same amount of euros. I've noticed over the years I lean more toward euro.
We’ve done euros and they look great.

Attachments

• 11261508-4B96-4F73-88B1-C6A882B2C409.jpeg
    11261508-4B96-4F73-88B1-C6A882B2C409.jpeg
    372.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 7EE28E0B-195C-4720-9398-410C885E86E7.jpeg
    7EE28E0B-195C-4720-9398-410C885E86E7.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 87

Tyson

FNG
Not weird at all, euro mounts look great for moose. I have to admit I lean more towards euro mounts on just about everything though, just think they look good

Scottf270

WKR
Flying into Bethel on the 9th. Into the field on the 10th. Second trip with Papa Bear. Went in 19 with good friend and RokSlider, The Gray Rider. Had a great hunt and killed 2 nice bulls. Tom was an awesome partner.

Going in this time with a great hometown friend to help him fulfill his dream. Hope to see many of you up there.

Flying into Bethel on the 9th. Into the field on the 10th. Second trip with Papa Bear. Went in 19 with good friend and RokSlider, The Gray Rider. Had a great hunt and killed 2 nice bulls. Tom was an awesome partner.

Going in this time with a great hometown friend to help him fulfill his dream. Hope to see many of you up there.

Just talked to my two moose hunters for this coming fall. They're jazzed as well. Nothing quite like hunting 8-10 year old bull moose during pre-rut (Sept 1 - 22).