Who's Moose Hunting Alaska 2022?!?

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I just got back from 14-days in remote western Alaska a hundred miles from the coast, and the wx was extra challenging this year to say the least. During the longest wx window break, I was able to take this big guy. 64" 5x3. I'll write a bit about it with some better photos a little further down the road after I catch-up with things at work and home...
IMG_6569 2.jpeg

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I just got back from 14-days in remote western Alaska a hundred miles from the coast, and the wx was extra challenging this year to say the least. During the longest wx window break, I was able to take this big guy. 64" 5x3. I'll write a bit about it with some better photos a little further down the road after I catch-up with things at work and home...
View attachment 456649
Congrats!! Cant wait for the story!

bmrfish

WKR
View attachment 456649

That is a toad AKDOC! Ridge hunt again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mparks270

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 456649
Nice bull!

mooster

WKR
We had a great hunt. Saw a giant and a few shooters early. Called small sublegal bulls to camp. Then, went four days at the end w/out a moose sighting, and my nephew shoots one at 5pm on the last day. What we thought was solid grass, was actually knee deep water! Got back to camp late, to enjoy the northern lights to cap off the end of our trip. Not what we expected in our hunt, but sometimes that's the best.

It was my third year DIY moose hunting, and I'm batting a 1000 on being a guide, mule, and sherpa to my son, a nephew, & friend. I’m zero for three on my own AK moose but that's OK. I hope one year I get to carry my own, but I'm excited to have shared their hunts and feel richer for it. I did get my first AK trad kill unexpectedly, and some tasty tundra chicken taco's afterwards. Can't wait to get back.

IMG_6657.JPG5088C0F7-552A-4A9D-A57E-515854AF3DDE.jpegB1623351-035A-4671-BBB1-D968D4E2E22B.jpeg

Last edited:

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
That is a toad AKDOC! Ridge hunt again?

Thank you!

It's the same location (by our request) that we were dropped last year. Still out on the flat "kazillion lakes" area, but just a bit higher ground that allows us to go in on wheels (and not live in our chest waders!). There are pros/cons to that choice, i.e., the wind has to be just right for them to land/take-off.

cgasner1

WKR
Hey panhandler I never saw how did your trip turn out for you hope it went well

Hunted for 7 days straight and didn't see one antler. Somehow ended up stabbing my rear wheeler tire - slime, plugs, praying, etc wouldn't keep the dang air in there, so I left camp and limped it out five miles back to the trailhead. Made the journey to the next town that had a NAPA who would install a tube for me. Got that done and was driving back through an any-bull area when this dude strolled across the road in front of me, lol. I never pass up a legal bull and I jumped out in my crocs with my rifle and took him 100 yards off the road. Glad I had a buddy who lived in the area, all my knives and game bags were at camp! Pretty sure without tire troubles I wouldn't have connected this year.

Screenshot_20220929-093152_Gallery.jpg
20220908_181955.jpg

Jolley78MT

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats to all of you, love seeing and hearing about the trips you've all had this year

Sounds like a successful moose season minus the kill. You get any good pics of some of the moose you saw?

Nope, didn't bother stalking any of the sub-sixty inch bulls for photos and was too busy trying to put bullets in the few that were over sixty inches to bother with pulling out the big camera.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hunted for 7 days straight and didn't see one antler. Somehow ended up stabbing my rear wheeler tire - slime, plugs, praying, etc wouldn't keep the dang air in there, so I left camp and limped it out five miles back to the trailhead. Made the journey to the next town that had a NAPA who would install a tube for me. Got that done and was driving back through an any-bull area when this dude strolled across the road in front of me, lol. I never pass up a legal bull and I jumped out in my crocs with my rifle and took him 100 yards off the road. Glad I had a buddy who lived in the area, all my knives and game bags were at camp! Pretty sure without tire troubles I wouldn't have connected this year.

View attachment 457765
View attachment 457766
Nice, looks like he died in a nice easy butchering spot.

View attachment 457765
View attachment 457766

Way to fill the freezer and offset some of these high grocery prices, congrats!

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Way to fill the freezer and offset some of these high grocery prices, congrats!

Truest thing I have read in a while. This year while in Dillingham, AK I was absolutely floored by the costs of groceries. To think I spent over 8$ on a half gallon of milk, 16$ on a frozen pizza and almost 40$ for an 18 box of beer, 22$ for chips and a jar of salsa is crazy. Somewhere close to 4x what they cost where I live.