who's packing the big ones?

Slim Jim

WKR
I'm moving up from a 50 to a 65mm this year. With the new bikini frame that's coming in April, I should get the 85mm. With all the hype on Kifaru the extra weight shouldn't be an issue :D

Bighorse

WKR
Yup, the Big Eye is going up some hills this year again. It's not a question in my mind. Hauling good capable glass to the top of a hill is a pleasure. For me, sittling down after a rough steep approach and locking a nice optic to a solid tripod is almost a fun as pulling a trigger.
Alot of time I don't take Binos.

Tilzbow

WKR
I started packing my big Leica a couple of years ago and the extra pound is worth it. I did just booked a Stone Sheep hunt for next year and with the outiftters weight limit I've got a hard choice between the big Leica and my 15x56 Swaros. I can find sheep better and faster with the big binos and glass all day with no eye strain plus the guide will have a spotter to zoom in but the thought of having the capability to zoom in on Stone sheep with my own scope and take some digiscope pictures has my leaning toward the scope. That said if I cut 4# out somewhere else I could take both so that's another thought.... Then again I'll have my 10x binos with me for sure and can mount those on the same tripod as the spotter so.....

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Yep,

I would take the 10x and the spotter. that should have you covered, plus you will have the much wider FOV of the 10xs over the 15xs.

Juan_ID

WKR
I'm packin a big one too. Switched towards the end of last season and won't be going to a smaller one again. I love my 80HD

luke moffat

Super Moderator
If the larger spotters didn't offer more than 60X zoom eyepieces. But I like the 75X of the 85mm Zeiss. If choosing between say a Swaro 80mm or Vortex Razor 85mm and a 65mm Swaro HD....I'd choose the smaller lighter 65mm everytime with the same power. Granted not the same amount of light gathering, but I can live with that for where and what I hunt.

Had the option to take the 20-60x80mm vs the 15-45x65mm viper hd spotters this year. Packed the 65mm every time and didn't feel like I was hindered enough to effect my hunt. I'll be sticking with the 65HD for another year.

Mike

Buster

WKR
+1 for the 80mm. Now here is a question for the haulers of big ones. If you were to own the swaro STX/ATX system, would you ever pack the 95 on a multi day hunt?

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I pack the 85 ATX everywhere and if I didn't have so much camera gear too, I would pack the 95. At this point, the 85 has been perfect and I don't think I'll get the 95.
+1 for the 80mm. Now here is a question for the haulers of big ones. If you were to own the swaro STX/ATX system, would you ever pack the 95 on a multi day hunt?

There were 2 animals this year that I harvested 100% because I was carrying my Ziess 85. One was a deer I spotted from 2000 yards away. I was able to make out a little crab claw. If I hadn't I would have never hiked over. I hunted hard this year and although I passed a couple deer during the high hunt this was the only legal buck I saw during the general season, I ended up taking this buck at 916. The second was an elk at 409 yards I hunt a spike only unit and he was in the trees I made out a fork on one side and if I hadn't had the ability to really zoom and see that his other side was slick I would not of had the confidence to take the shot. In just this one season the big spotting scope made a complete believer out of me.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I used a 65mm Vortex Razor this year and I was with Aron and also another guy with 80mm and 85mm and I will definitely look at going to the bigger 85mm. The light gathering and the extra magnification from 48x to 60x were definitely worth it.

BigDog00

WKR
I originally bought the 65mm Razor this summer only to find out I had wished I'd gotten the 85mm. I ended up selling the 65 and bought the 85. I found myself wanting just a little bit more magnification. The 65 was a nice scope but I'm glad I got the 85. I think it will fit nicely in my DT1 when it arrives. ;)

bobhunts

WKR
I used to carry the larger Vortex. Albeit the first one I bought was a big one but the Vortex Nomad. It worked okay but I made a step up and went with the Cabelas Euro Hd 20-70X82. I cannot wait to get out and try it out when I get it. I never had a problem with the larger glass with weight and I am sure the new one will weigh more than the last one I used. Thanks for the review BB. Bob.

AitchAr

FNG
I'm going to give the Zeiss 85 20-75x a go in 2014. This is a first for me, my last spotter was a Nikon ED 50.

tbone131

Lil-Rokslider
I am thinking about buying a spotter this off season. So you guys think bigger is definitely better then? I was thinking a 65mm swaro but now I'm not so sure.