who's packing the big ones?

littlebuf

Banned
provacitive title i know. but seriously whos packing the big 80-85 mm spotters around? i made the desicion this year to go big. i could have bought one of the new 65mm razors but i decided to pay the weight penalty and pick up the 85. i know aron has talked befor about how he packs a big scope and its worth the weight penalty. anybody else? ive lightened up a few other areas of my pack/sleep system and am taking a new aproach on food (taking less) so my pack will still be a little lighter even though ive added 2 pounds to my optics. that being said its still sacrifices of comfort in the back country to allow for the advantage of optics. do you share my view on this?

I have been packing a Swaro 80, but I gotta be honest, thinking about a 65 lately.
In my opinion the 65HD is about the same as a standard 80.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Packing big for the last few years.

Only threw the ED50 in the pack for one hunt this past year.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
What will you be using this year?

Good question.

I have the Diascope, and it worked so well last season, I might keep it for this year.

OTOH, I really enjoyed the Meopta S2 so much with the WA eyepiece, I have considered getting one.

Then there is the new ATX Swarovski, which I am still hoping to get my hands on. I think Roksliders would be interested in hearing about that system.

Finally, Kowa has announced a WA 25-60X zoom of their own for the pure-flourite Prominar 88, and I would love to put that one to the test as well.

Options, options, options...

I will be packing my ziess 85 TFL. I have a minox 50 that I put in the pack for bears and maybe some scouting trips. I didnt realize how much I missed while using this scope until I got the big 85 with 70x zoom. Last year I took my 15lbs rifle because I proved out to 1000 yards but I didnt use it. This year I am proving my 7lbs rifle to 650 yards or better and taking the big eye on my high buck. I took the heavy gun and didnt use and spent hours on my little spotter. I think I'm getting it right this year. And Im with dotman Im taking less food as I just didnt eat all the food I took and switching to a lighter pad and a little lighter sleeping bag so I should actually be quite abit lighter than last year even though Im switching from a 50mm spotter to the 85mm

Last edited:
OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
I pack a big spotter also

you going to make it back to washington for any of bear season this year? im going to talk to your brother about another trip, just a little earlier than last year to hit the berries better

dotman

WKR
Good question.

I have the Diascope, and it worked so well last season, I might keep it for this year.

OTOH, I really enjoyed the Meopta S2 so much with the WA eyepiece, I have considered getting one.

Then there is the new ATX Swarovski, which I am still hoping to get my hands on. I think Roksliders would be interested in hearing about that system.

Finally, Kowa has announced a WA 25-60X zoom of their own for the pure-flourite Prominar 88, and I would love to put that one to the test as well.

Options, options, options...

Haha, yeah I don't feel sorry for ya :)

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
you going to make it back to washington for any of bear season this year? im going to talk to your brother about another trip, just a little earlier than last year to hit the berries better

Branden and I have just started talking about September plans. I'm definatly planning on a couple trips up this year and I plan to go a little earlier for sure.

OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
let me know if theres any room. im thinkin i just wont work this september.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
The new Zen Ray Prime HD spotter 82mm. Should be here in about a month and a half or so. Big upgrade for me this year, but I'm deploying out in April (unexpected) so they will have to wait till Jan in AZ.

dotman

WKR
The new Zen Ray Prime HD spotter 82mm. Should be here in about a month and a half or so. Big upgrade for me this year, but I'm deploying out in April (unexpected) so they will have to wait till Jan in AZ.

Stay safe bro.