Who's recently gotten into the outdoors and dropped $$

Mid-Tier binoculars: $999 + tax and shipping for Kowa Genesis 8x33
Range Finder: $300 + tax and shipping for Vortex Ranger 1300
Low-Tier rifle: $380 + tax for a Savage Axis II
Drop Tested and Approved Scope: $985 + tax and shipping for NF SHV (could save money and got with SWFA but you may be dead before the scope comes in)
Ammo: $315 plus tax and shipping for 5 boxes of ammo
Boots: $150 plus tax and shipping
Clothes: $500 (base layers, mid layers, insulation, rain, socks, etc)
Pack: $200
Sub-Total: $3829, tax is another $316 (assuming 8.25%) and $80 for shipping (assume $10 per category).

That gets you to $4225 and there's plenty of other things such as rings/base, range visits, gas, sleeping bag/pad, etc. And most things on the list are (near) bottom of the barrel on pricing.

Pretty easy to spend $5K or more to just start to hunt from scratch.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Mid-Tier binoculars: $999 + tax and shipping for Kowa Genesis 8x33
Range Finder: $300 + tax and shipping for Vortex Ranger 1300
Low-Tier rifle: $380 + tax for a Savage Axis II
Drop Tested and Approved Scope: $985 + tax and shipping for NF SHV (could save money and got with SWFA but you may be dead before the scope comes in)
Ammo: $315 plus tax and shipping for 5 boxes of ammo
Boots: $150 plus tax and shipping
Clothes: $500 (base layers, mid layers, insulation, rain, socks, etc)
Pack: $200
Sub-Total: $3829, tax is another $316 (assuming 8.25%) and $80 for shipping (assume $10 per category).

That gets you to $4225 and there's plenty of other things such as rings/base, range visits, gas, sleeping bag/pad, etc. And most things on the list are (near) bottom of the barrel on pricing.

Pretty easy to spend $5K or more to just start to hunt from scratch.
You can knock about $2000 off of that cost easy. He doesn't need $1k binos, $300 RF or $1k scope. He could get all 3 of those things for under $600 and be in the woods actually hunting, instead of sitting at home broke but with nice glass.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I started hunting white tails for under 1000 dollars in gear. My tree stand was heavy as shit. I was often cold and my bow wasn’t the nicest. But I got out there, learned what the priority upgrades were and went from there.

I went on my first backpack hunt for elk this year. Was out for the entire season plus a couple days before season opened. I bought used gear, wore some whitetail gear and also spent good money on some important things I didn’t have like an I reach and a pack.

No way do you need to spend 5k just to get in the outdoors.
Very good point on the top of your reply… don’t spend very much for entry, and experience will show you what you really need, and beyond that, just want… get usable stuff, go hunt, and as you suffer a little and upgrade as your experience tells you/money allows

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
I’m that guy. Growing up I hunted regularly for waterfowl, pheasant, rabbit, deer. Then I went into the Air Force and got stationed overseas so couldn’t bring any firearms. Then got married and had 3 kids. College for them. In short, life got in the way and the idea of hunting was always on the back burner. Kids are grown up and gone now, I’m about 3 years away from retirement, and as I get older the list of things that I want to do FOR ME moved up to the front burner.

I planned a duck hunt with some buddies at work back in January. I had the shotgun but needed full set of clothing, ammo, licenses (out of state). Had an elk hunt planned. New Browning BAR 30-06 (LH), new riflescope, new spotting scope, new binoculars (all Leupold), new rangefinder (Leica), new tripod (carbon fiber), new pack, new tent, new sleeping bag, new pad. Had a Terminator T2 muscle brake added to my rifle, Then my hunting partner came down with cancer so that trip got cancelled. I’m going to go deer hunting in GA and SC this fall, and will be scouting this summer so all the camping gear, binoculars, and maybe even the spotting scope will get used.

So loose numbers I’m at about $4,600 right now. But I didn’t stop there. I always wanted a Henry lever action rifle with the brass receiver so I treated myself to one in 45-70 caliber. Had a muzzle brake installed on it, added a Skinner Peep Sight along with another Leupold riflescope. I had that gun customized just the way I wanted it. Next year I’m going to N. Alberta on a moose/bear hunt. I’m taking both rifles with me. Did I need to buy two rifles for that trip? No. But it’s now FOR ME.

I mentioned the deer hunts this fall. I wanted a Henry lever rifle with a brass receiver in .44 magnum for deer hunting, so I bought it. FOR ME.

My point is not a humble brag or any of that. It’s more of a fact that as the OP stated about his friend wanting to get into hunting. I don’t doubt for one minute that he’ll spend $5,000 because he doesn’t have the time to accumulate all the gear if he really wants to get into it NOW. I knew I wanted to get back into it. Now is my time. I’m guessing I have 10 good summers left in me to do these “bucket list” hunts before I’m goin to be limited by physical ability, so I’m going all in on white knuckle hunting. Pay once cry once. The creditors can’t repossess a $12,000 moose/bear hunt! 😁

Moserkr

WKR
Cant answer for myself since Ive been hunting since I was young. But my buddy got started around 8 years ago and dropped at least $5k once he decided he liked it. Then another $5k on better gear. Then he lost weight so another $2k on clothes. Then the new NL pures and a spotter…. All high end stuff, but hey, guy can afford it, more power to him. He has turkey, waterfowl, upland, bear, and elk under his belt. Cant put him on a deer to save his life lol. Heading out of state for that one this year… watch out bucks, he aint picky!! Still has to justify time away from wife/kid and hes after meat. Shooting young bucks just doesnt appeal to me anymore but I get where hes at.

Funny this doesnt include trucks, tires, fuel, tags…. Think we are bad though, imagine what those crazy bass guys spend and other fishermen.

cjdewese

WKR
BTW the $1500 that I am in for so far is a Bow Vise as well as a press. You can do it for cheap especially if you are new. Learning how to scout and hunt is the absolute biggest part of it all. You could even save some money if you really wanted to do it for the long haul just by scouting and seeing how close you can actually get to game before choosing what type of weapon you want to use.

Bow hunting from the ground like you see in a lot of youtube videos is REALLY hard and takes some learning.

Finding BUCKS consistently on public land is hard, way harder than finding packs of does, doing it in bow range is even more difficult.

alex_b11

FNG
Very good point on the top of your reply… don’t spend very much for entry, and experience will show you what you really need, and beyond that, just want… get usable stuff, go hunt, and as you suffer a little and upgrade as your experience tells you/money allows
Skill and experience trumps equipment everyone.

MLB players use wood bats that cost around 150 bucks and hit a lot of home runs with them… I never once hit a home run in high school with my fancy 400 dollar bat hahaha

It’s a universal truth in every part of life. A race car driver could drive a Prius a helluva lot better than I could drive a Ferrari

You definitely don't need 5k to start hunting...that much we know is true. What bothers me is the guys that hate on others for having it and spending it. I recently experienced this as I'm getting a long time friend of mine into hunting. He had never hunted before last year and before he started said, "tell me what I need." I told him good clothes and good boots and I'll provide the rest. He didn't like that answer. He said "No, I am going to continue to do this and I am willing to pay for quality equipment." So I sent him over my pack list and said here is what I use. More or less he copied it damn near to a T. I was a bit shocked but if a person getting into the sport doesn't mind dropping 5-10k who are we to judge? I get sick of people stuck in their own ways thinking that everyone has to start out with garbage clothes and cheap guns. (I started that way too btw). There's no reason a grown man should be ridiculed for having an expensive setup with no skills to back it. Especially when they openly admit they're a newbie. I respect men like that, it's their money who am I to judge how they spend it?

cjdewese

WKR
You definitely don't need 5k to start hunting...that much we know is true. What bothers me is the guys that hate on others for having it and spending it. I recently experienced this as I'm getting a long time friend of mine into hunting. He had never hunted before last year and before he started said, "tell me what I need." I told him good clothes and good boots and I'll provide the rest. He didn't like that answer. He said "No, I am going to continue to do this and I am willing to pay for quality equipment." So I sent him over my pack list and said here is what I use. More or less he copied it damn near to a T. I was a bit shocked but if a person getting into the sport doesn't mind dropping 5-10k who are we to judge? I get sick of people stuck in their own ways thinking that everyone has to start out with garbage clothes and cheap guns. (I started that way too btw). There's no reason a grown man should be ridiculed for having an expensive setup with no skills to back it. Especially when they openly admit they're a newbie. I respect men like that, it's their money who am I to judge how they spend it?
No ridicule from my part. Everyone should do what's best for them and their circumstances. If I could drop $5k and not worry about it I would. I definitely have on fishing over the years.

As a new hunter starting a little later in life without anyone else in my family hunting before me, I personally found it comforting that I could get in fairly cheap, upgrade as I learn more and realize if I would enjoy it as much as I thought.

No ridicule from my part. Everyone should do what's best for them and their circumstances. If I could drop $5k and not worry about it I would. I definitely have on fishing over the years.

As a new hunter starting a little later in life without anyone else in my family hunting before me, I personally found it comforting that I could get in fairly cheap, upgrade as I learn more and realize if I would enjoy it as much as I thought.
No doubt you can start cheap! I venture to say someone with enough motivation could get started for strictly the cost of tag and fuel. I feel as if many hunters would be more than willing to take a new hunter under their wing, even one they don't know all that well and happily lend them the equipment to do so! Hard to beat that new hunter smile when they notch their first tag!

You can knock about $2000 off of that cost easy. He doesn't need $1k binos, $300 RF or $1k scope. He could get all 3 of those things for under $600 and be in the woods actually hunting, instead of sitting at home broke but with nice glass.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Exactly.

Btaylor

WKR
Absolutely agree that if they want top of the line and can afford, by all means spend what you want. The point many are hitting on though is that gear doesnt make a hunter. The guy from the OP that thinks he needs $5k to start hunting needs a buddy that will tell him you need to learn to hunt to be a hunter and you can do that for very little investment other than time and energy. And if truth be told, if they want to be a really good hunter their buddy would tell them to learn to trap first. I know some good hunters that dont trap but I dont know any trappers that arent good hunters. New hunters always want to know what they need to be a hunter but "knowledge you cant buy" is never the answer they are looking for.

awasome

Lil-Rokslider
My first year hunting was last year where I hunted turkey and whitetail.

Savage 110 Hunter Rifle - $475 after rebate
Leupold VX3i 4.5x14 - $500
Mossberg 930 Turkey - $675
Catch and Release Late Season DWR Set - $130
Catch and Release camo vest - $60
Wrangler Tech pants - $25
SKRE Granite Merino Wool Top/Bottom clearance - $60
Condor waffle weave mid layer - $25
Used AGC Bino Harness + Stalker Hydration Pack - $100
Used AGC Scout Backpack - $80
Carson RD Binos 10X42 - $150
Keen Targee II boots clearance - $75
Tree Stand Harness - $50
Turkey box call - $40
Turkey Vest - $100
Various Ammo - $500ish

Total: ~$3000

Most of the other gear I did get was on the more budget friendly side. I probably could have lowered my total spend to under $2000 if I went with a lower cost rifle/scope and shotgun and didn't get as much ammo initially (I have enough rifle and turkey ammo to last 3+ years).

OP
Idaho4x4Bronco
While there’s some truth to this, one could easily start out with a $5k budget and not have top of the line anything. That’s basically a non-flagship bow kitted out, mid-level binos, a rifle, and a decent scope. Maybe a pack and boots can squeeze in there if frugal.

I hunted basically 20 years with minimal investment, but I didn’t take it seriously, travel far from home, or put in tons of days in the field. It was just something I did every year after work slowed down and before ice fishing picked up. When I decided I wanted to invest significant time and money into hunting more often, more places, and more species, I spent easily over $7k in a single year.

I could have done it with less, but the barrier to entry is pretty high for people who didn’t grow up doing it. There’s no reason to pretend otherwise.
You don't need all that unless you read too many magazines and watch too much tv. If you're learning, you don't need high power optics, you need basic, reliable gear. If you're just getting into hunting, you don't need a bow AND a rifle all at once. Walk before you run. An off the shelf rifle with a decent 3x9 can be had for what, $500?

Thrift store clothing can be an incredible score. If you're up north, cheap wool clothing works very good. If you're some where that doesn't get too cold, even easier.

As far as camping gear and all that, how many people who are JUST DIPPING THEIR FOOT in the game, should (or could) be hiking deep into the wilderness to camp out and pack out an animal they've never had any experience quartering up, ect? I mean realistically in hunter's safety class they show you how to gut an animal, that doesn't mean you should buy a Kifaru hot tent and a 7000ci pack and head off lol.

Sleep in your truck, buy the basics, learn how to do it. FWIW, my tent is pretty handy, and it was $340 new, I just choose to sleep in my truck if I'm not packed in because it's warm and weatherproof, and takes about 2 seconds to put it on park.

If you're base camping, unless you're going far in on day hikes, you don't need a super nice pack, a simple $60 frame with some rope works real good for short pack outs IMO, 3-4 miles no problem in the right terrain.

$1000.00 budget would get you decent boots and a good enough set up to hunt in almost any weather or season around the PNW if you're base camping. Being a little cold and wet wont kill ya

OP
Idaho4x4Bronco
I’m that guy. Growing up I hunted regularly for waterfowl, pheasant, rabbit, deer. Then I went into the Air Force and got stationed overseas so couldn’t bring any firearms. Then got married and had 3 kids. College for them. In short, life got in the way and the idea of hunting was always on the back burner. Kids are grown up and gone now, I’m about 3 years away from retirement, and as I get older the list of things that I want to do FOR ME moved up to the front burner.

I planned a duck hunt with some buddies at work back in January. I had the shotgun but needed full set of clothing, ammo, licenses (out of state). Had an elk hunt planned. New Browning BAR 30-06 (LH), new riflescope, new spotting scope, new binoculars (all Leupold), new rangefinder (Leica), new tripod (carbon fiber), new pack, new tent, new sleeping bag, new pad. Had a Terminator T2 muscle brake added to my rifle, Then my hunting partner came down with cancer so that trip got cancelled. I’m going to go deer hunting in GA and SC this fall, and will be scouting this summer so all the camping gear, binoculars, and maybe even the spotting scope will get used.

So loose numbers I’m at about $4,600 right now. But I didn’t stop there. I always wanted a Henry lever action rifle with the brass receiver so I treated myself to one in 45-70 caliber. Had a muzzle brake installed on it, added a Skinner Peep Sight along with another Leupold riflescope. I had that gun customized just the way I wanted it. Next year I’m going to N. Alberta on a moose/bear hunt. I’m taking both rifles with me. Did I need to buy two rifles for that trip? No. But it’s now FOR ME.

I mentioned the deer hunts this fall. I wanted a Henry lever rifle with a brass receiver in .44 magnum for deer hunting, so I bought it. FOR ME.

My point is not a humble brag or any of that. It’s more of a fact that as the OP stated about his friend wanting to get into hunting. I don’t doubt for one minute that he’ll spend $5,000 because he doesn’t have the time to accumulate all the gear if he really wants to get into it NOW. I knew I wanted to get back into it. Now is my time. I’m guessing I have 10 good summers left in me to do these “bucket list” hunts before I’m goin to be limited by physical ability, so I’m going all in on white knuckle hunting. Pay once cry once. The creditors can’t repossess a $12,000 moose/bear hunt! 😁
First off, thank you for your service and it's great to see more vets getting out there.

Second, you spoiled yourself😂 I think you're the first person of the thread to put your hand up!

OP
Idaho4x4Bronco
I didn't mean to sound like I was judging anyone or saying you shouldn't doit, I hope it didn't come off that way. To each their own my friend.

The point was, you shouldn't let the idea of staying at home because you can't afford it get into your mind. That's what I was trying to explain to my buddy at the house, don't let not having top tier gear keep you from enjoying the outdoors.

Hopefully i didn't offend yo. (Or anyone else)

awasome

Lil-Rokslider
$1000.00 budget would get you decent boots and a good enough set up to hunt in almost any weather or season around the PNW if you're base camping. Being a little cold and wet wont kill ya
If I was cold and wet, I wouldn't want to keep hunting when it was cold and/or raining.

One of my biggest concerns when buying gear was making sure I wasn't cold. I hate being cold, and I know I wouldn't stick with it if I was always shivering while sitting still in a stand or at the base of a tree.

I didn't mean to sound like I was judging anyone or saying you shouldn't doit, I hope it didn't come off that way. To each their own my friend.

The point was, you shouldn't let the idea of staying at home because you can't afford it get into your mind. That's what I was trying to explain to my buddy at the house, don't let not having top tier gear keep you from enjoying the outdoors.

Hopefully i didn't offend yo. (Or anyone else)
Hard to convey emotion over text.. I was in no way offended. I get what you're saying and I agree. My comment was not directed towards anyone, moreover a generalization about how some folks feel when others spend money! I too think money should never be an excuse.