Who's Retired?

Probably 3 years ago or so I was flaunting that no work lifestyle on social media. Next day I got sick as in a third world country. fever, chills, shits, puking.

No more of that rubbish. Good Lord will keep ya humble.

Retired June 2020 ! 32 yrs on railroad. Can do what I want when I want.Hunting, fishing , photography, and whatever I like.Feels very good.CONGRATS to all retirees past present and future! It feels great looking to get out in the woods this coming weekend for some deer hunting.

Last edited:

gwl79902

WKR
Almost 30 years working for the state with the last 21 as a State Trooper in fish and wildlife. Loved the job and most of the time if they stopped paying me I wouldhave still gone to work it was a great job. I am so lucky to have been able to live a little boys dream.

October 19 2020 was my last day. I think my new job is better!

Nykki

Lil-Rokslider
I retired in Dec06 from wrenching on equipment. A friend talked me into working as a pilot car so I do that when I want. Last month I worked 5 days. Wifey retired after thirty years with the state in 04

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good replies!

I should add that I did start my own business as an independent contractor and work about 20 some hours a week doing construction/handyman work.

Money is good and there’s nothing wrong with working. Unless there’s hunting or fishing to do!

that's the beauty of part time work- still have $ coming in, but plenty of time to recreate- it's probably one of the best moves I've ever made

I think it might be a good way to transition into retirement as well. I know some folks have trouble working 40 hour a week for decades and then stop working altogether (I know not everyone has that problem :D), this might be a good move for those that would.

CoHiCntry

WKR
that's the beauty of part time work- still have $ coming in, but plenty of time to recreate- it's probably one of the best moves I've ever made

I think it might be a good way to transition into retirement as well. I know some folks have trouble working 40 hour a week for decades and then stop working altogether (I know not everyone has that problem :D), this might be a good move for those that would.

I'm not quite there yet but it's slowly getting closer! Working part time at retirement seems like the ticket since I will be fairly young when I retire. The issue I'm seeing is finding a part time gig that's really flexible. I can't fathom being tied to any job that only offers a couple weeks vacation even though it's part time during the week. I guess finding that right job that's super flexible and let's you work only when you want to work is the ticket. Might be hard to find though!

I only work three day's a week now, although it is full time. Really long day's. And have about 6 weeks of vacation a year. I don't wanna give that up to be tied down even though it's "part time"

rayporter

WKR
in "03 i walked out the door and never looked back. took off my watch and have not worn one since. i was worried that at 51 i would not have enough saved but i have watched it grow as i lived off of it. MAGA

it has been a good race, no regrets. well maybe i could have taken an extra trip or two.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Retired 10 1/2 years ago, kinda, I’ve been the stay at home dad for 10 years for my 8 and 10 year old boys (my wife says they’re mine). I will be 66 years young Dec. 18th (gifts are accepted). Raising 2 boys and now home schooling is much tougher than work was😅. Glad to see a lot of older generation on the ROK.

All my friends say I’m retired because I now live off my investment properties, but I do all the management and maintenance and repairs so that working, right? I do do some “side” work (home repairs/improvements) for friends and family to keep sharp. Being only 32 it feels like I’m cutting myself short not hustling like I did for the past 16 years but it sure is nice having so much time for family and hunting. It’s definitely harder to stay motivated now to accomplish goals now that I’m not 100% work oriented.

bohntr

WKR
Been fully retired for two years now. I LOVE it. Moved to a place where elk and deer are frequently in my field, and I was able to have a retirement home built and still be debt free.....compliments of moving out of Kali. 😁

rayporter

WKR
i got a letter a few months after i retired wanting sub contractors. as i headed for the round file mama asked. " aren't you going back to work." not no but hell no as i threw it away.

i said "they would not like my stipulations." " if i could show up at noon on wednesday and work till 4.----maybe."

wmd

Lil-Rokslider
End of December I will be retired for 6 years. I was in sales and on the road 50,000 miles a year or so. I told a friend who ranches that I miss work but I don't miss working if that makes any sense. I do miss driving, except in the winter, and I miss SOME people that I worked with and called on. I do not miss the stress of a sales job, however the compensation made the stress acceptable. I occasionally think about doing something part time but then remember I can do what I want when I want to do it and that thought goes away.
wmd

Billinsd

WKR
I'm planning to officially retire in late January, and then keep working another 5 years max to pay for my kids college. I can't really travel like I'd want for about another 5 years, son just turned 12.

I retired 2 1/2 years ago after working 45 years in the wildlife management profession for two state wildlife agencies (12 in the first and 33 in the second). It was a great career, I did, and was involved in activities that a lot of hunters, anglers and wildlife enthusiasts would only dream of doing. I also saw a LOT of change in the wildlife profession since starting in the early/mid 1970's.

Retirement has been very good, but would be even better if this damn Coivid-19 situation would go away. I have had to cancel fishing trips to Alaska, Montana and Nebraska. Hopefully, I can schedule those trips in 2021,

ClearCreek

AKBorn

WKR
Retired on January 31, 2020 at 59. Started donating or getting rid of extra crap, and left my home in Maryland on June 29. Currently TEMPORARILY exiled in California at my girlfriend’s house, while we await the build of our home in a mountaintop community in Tennessee. I thought Maryland was unfriendly to gun owners, holy cow Cali is a nightmare.

If COVID had not changed everything this year, we might already be in Tennessee. Plans are to move in early spring and rent a home while ours is being built. My GF is a lifelong Cali girl, she can’t wait to get to TN.

No plans to ever work again, as I saved a lot of money over the years in retirement funds. Once COVID calms down, our plans are to take 3 10-12 day vacations per year, and explore beautiful Tennessee and surrounding area in between. We had to cancel a 2-week Alaska trip this year due to COVID, but will start traveling again hopefully midyear in 2021.

Other than COVID, retirement is awesome, highly recommend it.

Retired in November 2015, I love it! Can count on one hand the number of days I’ve been bored. Don’t know when I had time to work! Ha!

DBAshland

FNG
Retired in 2008 after 28 years as a U.S. National Park Ranger. Great career of adventure in wonderful places. Retirement has given me time I never had to try different things and outdoor adventures. Worked a year for 2010 census, volunteered with our Lab as a hospital therapy dog, worked 5 years part time at REI, got comfortable with public speaking through Toastmasters, worked with a wilderness trails nonprofit, became a step-grandpa times 3, took up fly fishing, etc...Wife retired this June after 31 years teaching high school.