Who’s running a quilt during late season?

Anyone using a quilt instead of a bag during winter hunts? Is it worth saving the extra weight? How comfortable is not having a hood and sleeping with a beanie or something on?

Wapack

FNG
I have for the last couple years. I wear all my layers and puffy and have been comfortable with my 10 down quilt. I’ve saved a couple pounds over my last set up. It’s worth it to me. I run a reflective blanket under my pad as well. I went this route basically to save money and weight. There are a lot of lightweight treated down bags that would be more bombproof and only slightly heavier though . They were out of my budget.

OP
BigCountry344
I have for the last couple years. I wear all my layers and puffy and have been comfortable with my 10 down quilt. I’ve saved a couple pounds over my last set up. It’s worth it to me. I run a reflective blanket under my pad as well. I went this route basically to save money and weight. There are a lot of lightweight treated down bags that would be more bombproof and only slightly heavier though . They were out of my budget.

for being an active sleeper and hate the confined feeling I have to sleep in a wider bag and every 0 degree wide bags weighs 3lb or an ounce or two lighter. As I like crawling in a bag with a hood in cold weather I’d really like to save weight and if I switched to a quilt for those temps I can save a pound.

jolemons

WKR
I've probably done close to 20 degrees; temperature inside shelter. It's less about weight savings for me, and all about comfort. I learned that an insulated beanie or down hood was a nice addition and would probably be a requirement at colder temps. I like being able to pull a long quilt over my head to keep my face warm and not have to breath freezing air.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mudd Foot

WKR
Very timely thread as I’m personally at the paralysis-from-analysis point!

Could those that have run quilts can you elaborate a further on the following topics:

1. Quilt dimensions and body dimensions.
2. Sewn or zipper foot box and efficacy.
3. Pad straps or zipper. Pad strap type.
4. Quilt temp rating and temp ranges experienced.

Am considering the Enlightened Equipment Conundrum versus the Convert if it helps.

Thanks in advance,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mturney

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to a Hammock Gear 0* with a 3oz overstuff from a mummy bag and Ill never go back. I would get twisted up in a bag from tossing and turning and wake up in a fight for my life over and over again. With the quilt I get quality sleep. I have taken it down into the teens with an insulated klymit pad and sleep in just insulation layers no puffy. I have woken up to draft spots but for me those are easily solved by tucking the quilt back under me and Im right back to sleep. I do use the pad straps. I don't know if teens qualifies as late season but at this point I would probably haul more weight to keep the quilt and make up for temp than give it up.

feanor

WKR
I just got a katabatic 15flex. Really impressed with the materials and design. I got it because I can use it in the summer in the mountains with the option to open the foot box and vent. It will still probably be hot, so I’ll flip the quilt body open too. But now I can have it for colder temps as well, and not have a plethora of bags for different seasons. I will say the quilts are little finicky when compared to a sleeping bag, but I think that can be overcome with more use. Also, the quilts are typically close to their temp ratings, whereas mummy bags use a different rating that isn’t as close.

Wapack

FNG
Very timely thread as I’m personally at the paralysis-from-analysis point!

Could those that have run quilts can you elaborate a further on the following topics:

1. Quilt dimensions and body dimensions.
2. Sewn or zipper foot box and efficacy.
3. Pad straps or zipper. Pad strap type.
4. Quilt temp rating and temp ranges experienced.

Am considering the Enlightened Equipment Conundrum versus the Convert if it helps.

Thanks in advance,

1. I have a Hammock Gear long. Im 6'1. quilt measurement is 75in long 48in wide. Its plenty long for me but i really wish it was a little wider. (new HG ones are 55In in the wide)
2. mine is the older styler snap up foot box with draw string (for hammocks).I would rather have it sewn in .
3. mine does not have built in pad straps.
4. I should have mentioned this. Mine is a 10 degree bag coldest I've been in it was 18F. ( wearing my layers and puffy with beanie)

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
Try a Big Agnes Blackburn 0 in wide. Its a super comfy mummy and you cant roll off the pad. No insulation on the bottom so somewhat like a quilt. 3 lbs even in long wide.

Drenalin

WKR
I've been using an Enlightened Equipment Enigma, the Apex version rated to 20 degrees. At 6-ft and about 215, I went with the regular wide size. Feel like I've got plenty of room and am liking it a lot better than any bag I've ever used. I have 20 nights in mine in temps anywhere from 60s down to high 20s and haven't been cold. More of a response to @Mudd Foot than the OP - I wouldn't necessarily call high 20s a major test.

Man that's a dang good idea on the reflective blanket as a ground cover!

twall13

WKR
I like quilts better but I should put a disclaimer on that as I typically sleep in a hammock so I have an underquilt wrapping around my shoulders and don't get problems with drafts nearly as much as people using quilts with pads on the ground. That said, I'm more comfortable in a quilt. For cold weather I like the footbox to be sewn. I have a 30* quilt with a drawcord style footbox and my feet feel like there is a breeze on them in temps below 40 degrees. I can remedy that by stuffing a shirt or something in the bottom or wrapping my puffy around the exterior but I'd rather not have to deal with that in the cold. For warmer temps it's sometimes nice to be able to vent the footbox a bit or open the quilt up entirely so they have their place, but I personally don't care for them in cold weather.

I've used several different tricks to help make up for the lack of a built in hood when the temps really drop including beanies, a fleece balaclava, sleeping with my puffy jacket and hood on, etc. After playing around with a bunch of options, to me, the best solution is a down hood. I purchased this really cheap one off of amazon to test out and I really like the function and will likely get a higher quality one from Nunatak, Warbonnet, Hammockgear, or Enlightened Equipment eventually. Mine weighs in under 3 ounces and comes down over the chest a bit so everything is sealed up really well. You can cinch it up so there is only a small hole where you are breathing and it really helps keep you a lot warmer.

Anyone using a quilt instead of a bag during winter hunts? Is it worth saving the extra weight? How comfortable is not having a hood and sleeping with a beanie or something on?
I use a quilt, in combination with a beanie/base layers, and sometimes puffy pants/jacket, about 90+% of the time on my hunts. That said, I rarely winter camp, but I occasionally hunt in temps down into the teens, and I've been very happy with using a quilt in those circumstances.

Aaron Warpony

Lil-Rokslider
I think everybody should try a quilt. There's been times I've loved mine and times I hated it. The times i hated it the wind was crazy and if I had got an xl wide quilt I think it would have been fine. the standard width just wasn't enough for me to wrap in and I'd get cold wind randomly in the night. Great piece of gear if you like it though, gotta try one

I think everybody should try a quilt. There's been times I've loved mine and times I hated it. The times i hated it the wind was crazy and if I had got an xl wide quilt I think it would have been fine. the standard width just wasn't enough for me to wrap in and I'd get cold wind randomly in the night. Great piece of gear if you like it though, gotta try one

How big of guy are you? Wt/ht, if you don’t mind... I’m 6’1, 325# and deathly afraid of quilts... if they even make them large enough

Aaron Warpony

Lil-Rokslider
How big of guy are you? Wt/ht, if you don’t mind... I’m 6’1, 325# and deathly afraid of quilts... if they even make them large enough

I'm 160 pounds, 5'9. It was plenty big enough for most things, but on some sleepless nights sleeping in some weird rocks, the shifting and sliding down the slight incline kept untucking me. Like i've said, i have used it and loved it, but the more blanket you have the easier it is to tuck in when the wind gets to ya. This is just my opinion and alot of guys bigger than me do just fine with the standard sizes. Mine is a hammock gear brand if that helps. Take your sleeping pad and a blanket at home an try the various sizes and roll around a bit and you'll get a good idea. You can buy and return if it don't work for ya. good luck

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a 0 degree quilt, it had enough loft/down to be suitable to 0; but I found that a draft at 0 degrees is not the same as a draft at 30 degrees.

I've kept the quilts that I have that are 20 degrees and plus, but went back to bags for under 20 degrees- a few extra ounces I've found are worth carrying when temps are cold, ymmv