Who's scouting?

Wapiti23

FNG
To the OP, sorry for hijacking your thread but I was wondering what the opinion was of everyone on here and scouting for mule deer in the high country with active dirt bike trails near by? Do the deer shy away from them a little or like a lot of things and just get used to them during the summer and seeing deer near them is still quite possible? I have a few areas picked out that I'm going to scout into in the August but most of them have active motorized dirt bike trails.

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
No time to scout at the moment but shooting our bows every day.

Still not sure on first hunt date. Sometime in the first week of September.

Last edited:
To the OP, sorry for hijacking your thread but I was wondering what the opinion was of everyone on here and scouting for mule deer in the high country with active dirt bike trails near by? Do the deer shy away from them a little or like a lot of things and just get used to them during the summer and seeing deer near them is still quite possible? I have a few areas picked out that I'm going to scout into in the August but most of them have active motorized dirt bike trails.
Man I was looking for deer near some motorbike trails last weekend and found there to be a definite buffer around them. Like the slopes right above the trails, while gorgeous, I didn't see hardly any deer within about a quarter of a mile, but once you got to that next level of distance, either a ridge left or right or 500'+ higher they started showing up again.

Poser

WKR
3363f5280ff7f326133a86e5b8dbbfb9.jpg

9a653abfa8c804836a71c618a4c26555.jpg

1455d41e9a8a9014ec320f6bee621b36.jpg

Here are a couple of different bucks all at different stages of the game from last weekend. I especially like the one that looks worse than a bigfoot photo. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0133.JPG
    IMG_0133.JPG
    250.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6273.JPG
    IMG_6273.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_9663.jpg
    IMG_9663.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_9664.jpg
    IMG_9664.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 59

KurtR

WKR
I need to get out been spending all my time with the puppy. Wife has the any deer tag west river and I know there is a good one I didn’t get with the muzzle loader

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
I need to get out been spending all my time with the puppy. Wife has the any deer tag west river and I know there is a good one I didn’t get with the muzzle loader

I remember you talking about him. Crunchy snow and all.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Someone already tagged out with a car in Utah
e5995870d9faf6e1dda4408d67a0e073.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just got back from the hills checking cameras, scouting, and working on a cabin. Man if I could find mule deer like I can find big bull elk and nice whitetails I would be in business! The elk population in the hills is doing real well. Checked out some new area and did find some mule deer, three bucks and a few does. My scouting was far from perfect though, getting out late and what not. I’m sure there are bigger ones around and we’re just in the timber before I got eyes where they were.

amack26

Lil-Rokslider
I have been out pretty much every weekend since the beginning of the month. I recently moved to AZ and a few of the units I have hunted in the past are closed because of fire danger so no nice bucks yet. The new units I have been scouting are all brand new country to me. I have been trying to get up north for the cooler weather. It has been interesting hiking to the glassing knob before first light in 90* weather. Last weekend I turned up 2 does and badger so for all intensive purposes I got some sense of validation telling the significant other that I at least saw something!