Who’s shooting off a tripod this year for hunting?

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Are you setup to shoot off of a tripod for hunting this year? It doesn’t have to be a heavyweight shooting tripod! Lots of people use lightweight glassing tripods as a “shot option”. I will have my tripod with me on my august rifle elk hunt. It’s a must in tall sage brush areas that otherwise you would really struggle to get a shot.

If anyone is already using some of our rails for shooting off there tripod, I would love some photos for our IG and Facebook!

6DCBFC4B-2F2D-4FAE-A246-43E115EC1CB2.jpeg

I do a lot of hunting and shooting off a tripod. Primarily I use a PRST carbon fiber tripod I bought years ago from the guy that makes the HOG Saddle. It isn’t ultralight at about 4lbs (without a ball head) but it’s not bad. I still run a Sunwayfoto ball head that IS pretty heavy but it’s rated for some ridiculous load (like 65lbs or more) which means it locks up SUPER tight and is really stiff/stable. It has a fluid pan that’s amazing for shooting movers. Depending on the rifle, I either have an arca plate on the rifle (my favorite) or I run a HOG Saddle. My only complaint at all is the overall weight of I have to pack it and the fact that it doesn’t have a removable center column so I can’t put a RRS leveling base on it, instead of my big ball head - THAT swap would shave a lot of weight. I did find that Sunwayfoto makes a panning leveling base that’s only about $150 and rated for 40lbs. I may pick that up and try it since it only weighs 1.5lbs. That lower center of gravity you get with a leveling base is a game changer for stability, compared to a ball head; as long as you don’t need a steep angle adjustment. My solution for steep angles with a leveling base, though, is to set up the tripod with one leg shorter or longer to get the additional angle from the tripod itself.

All that said, I’m currently searching for an ultra lightweight and compact system for my videography and photography; but my goal is to build something capable of using for mountain hunts, where I just can’t haul my bigger tripod. I have a older Promaster 525c CF tripod I use for my spotting scope and binos and I may try that Sunwayfoto leveling base on it OR an inexpensive Neewer Leveling base that only weighs 12 ounces. I also have my eye on a Peak Design Carbon Fiber Tripod that’s super pricey ($600) but is the most compact tripod on the market and has a (removable) integrated ball head, features that make it useable at prone height all the way to standing and weighs in at an incredible 2.8lbs with a 20 pound load rating - PLENTY of capacity for any mountain rifle!

Really torn. I may pick up ALL of it and film a review/comparison of the lightweight setups. I know lighter weight tripods exist but I don’t want a tripod that I can’t shoot off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW - shooting off of an extended center column on a tripod, like the photo in the OP, es extremely unstable. At least compared to using the legs for height and dropping that center post all the way down - it’s simply a more rigid configuration. The center column should really only be used to make minor (last minute) height adjustment.

OP
Salmon River Solutions

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
FWIW - shooting off of an extended center column on a tripod, like the photo in the OP, es extremely unstable. At least compared to using the legs for height and dropping that center post all the way down - it’s simply a more rigid configuration. The center column should really only be used to make minor (last minute) height adjustment.

Your definitely right on that!

I always try to keep the center post down all the way when I can.

I will be starting a new thread this weekend called “Tripod shooting positions and western hunting”. I will cover shooting positions, various tripods, shooting off a pan head vs ball head, tips, tricks, etc!

N2TRKYS

WKR
I do a lot of hunting and shooting off a tripod. Primarily I use a PRST carbon fiber tripod I bought years ago from the guy that makes the HOG Saddle. It isn’t ultralight at about 4lbs (without a ball head) but it’s not bad. I still run a Sunwayfoto ball head that IS pretty heavy but it’s rated for some ridiculous load (like 65lbs or more) which means it locks up SUPER tight and is really stiff/stable. It has a fluid pan that’s amazing for shooting movers. Depending on the rifle, I either have an arca plate on the rifle (my favorite) or I run a HOG Saddle. My only complaint at all is the overall weight of I have to pack it and the fact that it doesn’t have a removable center column so I can’t put a RRS leveling base on it, instead of my big ball head - THAT swap would shave a lot of weight. I did find that Sunwayfoto makes a panning leveling base that’s only about $150 and rated for 40lbs. I may pick that up and try it since it only weighs 1.5lbs. That lower center of gravity you get with a leveling base is a game changer for stability, compared to a ball head; as long as you don’t need a steep angle adjustment. My solution for steep angles with a leveling base, though, is to set up the tripod with one leg shorter or longer to get the additional angle from the tripod itself.

All that said, I’m currently searching for an ultra lightweight and compact system for my videography and photography; but my goal is to build something capable of using for mountain hunts, where I just can’t haul my bigger tripod. I have a older Promaster 525c CF tripod I use for my spotting scope and binos and I may try that Sunwayfoto leveling base on it OR an inexpensive Neewer Leveling base that only weighs 12 ounces. I also have my eye on a Peak Design Carbon Fiber Tripod that’s super pricey ($600) but is the most compact tripod on the market and has a (removable) integrated ball head, features that make it useable at prone height all the way to standing and weighs in at an incredible 2.8lbs with a 20 pound load rating - PLENTY of capacity for any mountain rifle!

Really torn. I may pick up ALL of it and film a review/comparison of the lightweight setups. I know lighter weight tripods exist but I don’t want a tripod that I can’t shoot off.

I use a Slik 634cf and Sirui VA5 head with a PIG saddle. I love that setup for my application.

tak

WKR
I just installed your mini arca on a 308, haven't even shot it yet, but it looks nice! I'll try to get some pics this weekend!

jpndave

FNG
I have an Artcise that is quite solid and lightweight. They just came out with another that a buddy has inbound with the smaller, no bowl head. I am excited to see how that one works out.

I recently bought a BOGPOD which I plan to use mostly for varmint calling. Previously I've used a tall bipod.
I know this tripod is not in the same zip code as the ones you have listed. If I like the tripod hunting I may look for a nicer model for big game

Bob

I'll have the ability to shoot off mine from now onw. I upgraded to an RRS TFCT-34L with an Anvil head a month ago and it's rock solid. Currently getting plates put onto all my rifles so I don't have to use a clamp.

Blaw

WKR
Are you setup to shoot off of a tripod for hunting this year? It doesn’t have to be a heavyweight shooting tripod! Lots of people use lightweight glassing tripods as a “shot option”. I will have my tripod with me on my august rifle elk hunt. It’s a must in tall sage brush areas that otherwise you would really struggle to get a shot.

If anyone is already using some of our rails for shooting off there tripod, I would love some photos for our IG and Facebook!

View attachment 306579
lets talk about how much that rifle weighs!
but seriously how much does it weigh?
and whats the weight of the tripod?

I am trying to find a happy balance between function/weight

OP
Salmon River Solutions

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
lets talk about how much that rifle weighs!
but seriously how much does it weigh?
and whats the weight of the tripod?

I am trying to find a happy balance between function/weight

that gun is heavy, like 13 lbs. my other hunting rifle is 8.2 loaded. My tripod I’m currently using is a promaster 525C