Who's sleeping 2 guys in a traditionally sized 2p tent?

WKR
2 guys in a 2 person tent is slightly better than 3 guys in a 3 person tent unless it's really cold.

jimh406

WKR
I hiked into an Alpine lake a few years ago with my brother. We were both over 6 ft and over 200 lbs. We were able to sleep in a “half” dome which was 5x7. However, as others have noted, a bigger tent isn’t that much heavier and in anything other than warmer weather, I think it would be worth being able to bring your gear inside “except” no food in the tent.

OP
L
:ROFLMAO: Well, responses not at all surprising and a nice distraction on this Tuesday afternoon. Guess those mountaineering folks are pretty darn easy going fellas to be crammed into the small tents together.

2 separate 1p tents makes sense for various reasons, especially campsite selection, but I'm just looking at options I can use with my 2 labs or a hunting buddy and most of the really light DCF tents don't seem to come in 3p+ unless a tipi.

Suppose I could lose 10-20 lbs and get in better shape so a few ounces wouldn't make any difference, but I'm not that much of a stud yet at 51. Life is still good.

kpk

WKR
The wife and I have spent a few nights in the MSR hubba hubba. It's pretty cramped for the two of us, and neither of us are big. A 2 person is perfect for 1 person and gear IMHO.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I used to go on trips with guys who slept 2 in a 2 person tent…
They all came down with Monkey Pox.

🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️
Doesn't matter who you ask about monkeypox, you aren't going to get a straight answer. 😜

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
This is the previous version of the Kuiu Mountain Star 2P tent that I reviewed a while back. The new version is slightly bigger. The photo is from a backcountry mule deer hunt. You can see that there is room for two people, but you are sleeping side by side. I don't have a problem with it at all, but the one point made earlier about bad weather is a good one. It would not be fun at all if you had to hunker down for a couple of days with two people in a tent this size.

Kuiu-5.jpg

Run a 2P for 2 people.

BA Slater. The version I have is 96"x59". So it's a big 2 person tent which I like. Works great. Under 3 lbs which is perfect since I sleep on the mountain.

WKR
Its no homo if its under 32 degrees.
In all seriousness, my only trip with 3p in a 3p tent was pretty frigid and it was remarkable how much easier it was to stay warm at night in a tighter space.

CJF

WKR
OGDL would give up a BOAL to sleep 2 guys in a 2 person tent

I have done tons of backpack hunts all over the western states sharing a Kelty trail ridge 2. It’s 54 wide and 85 inches long. There is basically enuff room inside for two and a few small things on each side. I did buy a seek outside Cimarron 3 years ago, and the Kelty has it gone on a trip since. Weighs less, and much more space.

I’m an archery hunter, so for the most part we used that Kelty in fairly good weather conditions. It really sucks on the trips we got caught in multiple days of crappy weather. Not any space in a 2 p tent to put any of your wet stuff to dry.

I think time of year your hunting is a really important factor

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
I try to go at minimum a 3 person tent for 2 people. If weight is a concern split it up between you and your friend. The extra weight is well worth the extra room.
No matter what if weather permits vent that thing as much as you can, sleeping with a hunting buddy after eating backpacking food can turn it into a nuclear fart box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk