Whose been scoped?

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ve whacked myself a couple times over the years but never anything more than the scope touching my eyebrow. Anybody got a good story?

hodgeman

WKR
I had a Bausch and Lomb on a 300WM back in the day that hit me no matter what I tried. Drew blood once pretty substantially. I finally sold the whole works.

I'll take good eye relief over just about any other feature.

ElPollo

WKR
7.5# scoped CVA muzzleloader shooting 290 gr Barnes over 110 gr of BH209. That gun is not fun to shoot. It’s barked me a couple of times.

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
My cousin shoots a 7mm with a cheap scope that has terrible eye relief. He has dropped a couple of dandy bucks with that gun, but both times he scoped himself to the point of drawing blood and now he has a scar there between his eyes lol.

The worst part is that he still refuses to upgrade scopes because “he’s never missed with that gun” hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GWHunter

FNG
I got whacked by a scope on a .444 Marlin. At the range off the bench it was fine, but pulling up and snap shooting at a doe I jumped at about 10 yards got me pretty good. Luckily the scope had a rubber ring on the eye piece or I would have cut me open for sure. I have since took it off and I am going to mount a red dot fast fire type sight on it.

Not an interesting story but… My Tikka T3 Lite wears a Leupold VX2 ultralight with Talley rings. Total weight is exactly 7 lbs loaded with a sling.

30-06 shooting 180 gr Swift Scirocco 2 going 2,570 fps (IIRC) out of an 18” barrel.

Scopes me at least once per year. Just gotta accept the pain. It’s stupid accurate and carries like a toy.

TX_Diver

WKR
First deer I ever shot.

I shot, it ran, we went back to the truck which was only like 500 yards away to drive closer, and decided just to bring my buddies rifle while we search. He finds it bedded while I’m up ahead and but he has the rifle. I tell him not to shoot (he has a tag). but As I am getting back it runs between us so he can’t shoot it anyways. Fortunately we hear it crash. I take his rifle which is an extremely light kimber in 30-06 and scope myself when I shoot it again at last light. Not bad but enough to have a little cut and blood of my own in the pics.

So many stupid choices in that one but lessons learned at least!

7.5# scoped CVA muzzleloader shooting 290 gr Barnes over 110 gr of BH209. That gun is not fun to shoot. It’s barked me a couple of times.
Sounds like a pretty stout recoiling set up. What scope was on it?

ssliger

WKR
Shot a small buck when I was sixteen. Did not get the gun seated in my shoulder very well. Scope caught me, good enough to bleed a bunch and gave me a scar. My dad looked at me, giggled, then tossed me his hanky and said “ you better go gut your deer”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDR

FNG
.375 H&H bit me years ago.

I wasn't snugged up as well as I should have been when shooting a bear.

Buddy of mine knocked himself pretty good with a 300wm last year.

Thover

FNG
When I was in high school I had a quick shot at an antelope and had my head turned a little to the side. The 7 mag and metal eyepiece dang near broke my nose. Bled a little but I ended up getting the antelope at least.

Huntin Fool

Lil-Rokslider
Shot at a coyote when I was around 14 with my dads 280, while I was driving around looking for deer. I was used to shooting a 243, needless to say I missed the coyote and got scoped real good. I bled like a stuck hog. The worst pain was my ego…

Gutshotem

WKR
Weatherby .300 win mag wearing a nikon monarch. Was crouched down in a summit treestand so I could use the rail as a rest trying to get a shot at a coyote. Bled pretty good but I got the yote and stayed on stand to shoot a buck later that afternoon. Ended up getting 3 stitches later after I got the animals taken care of.

Literally the first shot I ever took, with my first ever gun. Browning 270 WSM with a vortex crossfire ii. My girlfriend (now wife) was there. Darn near knocked me out. Bled and bled and bled. Still have the scar between the eyes. She couldn’t stop laughing!! Well look who’s laughing now, now that all she does is complain about how much I go hunting and shooting 😜

Yep! Have an older knight disk extreme man when I was a teenager that thing would bite me all the time. One opening morning of gun deer season had a nice buck come in I pulled up settled the cross hairs and squared the trigger that time was particularly bad the metal ring of the scope caught me on the bridge of the nose and the blood started flowing. Good news I got the buck he's still my biggest muzzleloader deer and only one I've ever shot on opening day I'll never forget that one

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Pancake

FNG
Happened to me a couple times. First time was in Montana on some block management. A doe came in at last light to my right. I had to awkwardly shift and shoot left handed (I'm right handed) while lying on my side. Busted up my eyebrow pretty good.

Second time was in South Dakota. I watched a deer come out of a brushy draw on the other side of a valley. I just couldn't get in a good spot. I had the gun solidly resting on my pack, but I was sitting on the downslope of a hill shooting upwards to the buck on the other side. I had to bury my face into the scope to feel stable. I shot, missed, and scoped myself. But the buck didn't move. I shot again again. The second time I hit him and blasted my eyebrow again.

Ended up with meat both times along with a couple cool scars to add to the story.

ElPollo

WKR
Yep! Have an older knight disk extreme man when I was a teenager that thing would bite me all the time. One opening morning of gun deer season had a nice buck come in I pulled up settled the cross hairs and squared the trigger that time was particularly bad the metal ring of the scope caught me on the bridge of the nose and the blood started flowing. Good news I got the buck he's still my biggest muzzleloader deer and only one I've ever shot on opening day I'll never forget that one

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Just for kicks, I just put my muzzleloader into a recoil calculator and it came out at 56 ft/#. That’s double the recoil of a 9# 300 WM. Admittedly the recoil impulse will be a lot slower. But the thought of practicing with that gun makes me a bit more okay with the fact that I didn’t draw that bull tag during the rut this year.