Whose been scoped?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Closest I’ve gotten was my tikka 300wm super light. It would knock my hat off EVERY single time. Those old scopes all had metal around the eyepiece. The new ones with the rubber are probably that way because of guys like @robby denning going to the ER. 😂
They are, but I’ve been scoped with the rubber ones and it’s no picnic either, more of a bash than a cut, but you know something happened.

I have somewhat matching marks, 6 years apart.

First ever deer hunt. Hiked in a mile, weighed 300lbs and felt like I was going to die. Sat over a saddle and waited. A couple hours later, hear a noise below and there is a forked buck walking through the saddle. I couldn't get a prone shot so I stood and used a tree for support while my heart blew out of my chest. He was looking right at me and I was planning to shoot him right in the chest (horrible choice). I missed, hit him in the forehead and scoped myself at the same time. So there I stood over a dead deer, bleeding from my noise wondering WTF I'm supposed to do next. Quartered it, carried it out and then stopped at an albertsons in a more affluent part of town with bloody pants and a cut on my nose to get gatorade.

Last year, got permission to hunt a farm. Got set up and as the sun came up saw a stout rack moving towards me. Heart beating out of my chest again he was walking right to me. This time I was hunting with a 20 gauge slug gun so my range was under 100 yards. I was in the field and didn't have a lot of cover. I hat set up begind a set of pivot wheels, but he went around and I had lost my cover. The two does ahead of him saw me at about 50 yards and stopped. He turned sideways and I yanked the trigger in my excitement. I hit him, but also scoped myself on the forehead. He likely would have died from the first shot as he wasn't walking, but I put a second round in him and he was done. Have a scar over my eye on that one.

Fortunately I have taken many animals in between so I don't scope myself every time. But, twice is enough.

nobody

WKR
Mid 80's vintage Remington 700 in 7 rem mag with an old fixed 6x leupold m8 on top. I swear, the edges of that scope are like a razor blade...

Anyways, I was 14 years old. I had never shot a "big gun" and honestly really had done much shooting other than a muzzleloader with no scope and a shotgun shooting clays. Dad buys me an OTC elk tag and borrows grandpa's extra 7 mag and takes me to the range to let me practice. I had never shot anything but the 10/22 that had a scope on it, and I crawl behind the gun laid across a pile of hoodies and jackets as a rest. Dad puts a target at 100 yards-ish and tells me to shoot. First shot lands about 2 inches high, and rocked my shoulder, but the face was safe at the time. Second shot lands about an inch left, elevation the same. 3rd shot hits right about an inch of shot #1, and smacks me between the eyes. I lean back and look at my dad to ask where I hit, and he takes one look at me and says "let's get you home." At that point, the blood drips down my nose and into my lap, and I realize what had happened. We go home, I clean it off as best as I can, and dad goes and grabs some Krazy glue to close me up. Right as the glue is about to hit my forehead, mom walks in the house and asks what we are doing. We tell her and she immediately stops dad from continuing. She calls my best friend's house, his dad was a doctor, and they immediately told me to head to the doctor's office and he would stitch me up for free. He told me the first time was free since I was earning a "badge of honor", but I would have to pay per stitch next time I let it happen (good dude, he was just teasing me of course). It actually turned out to be a pretty substantial wound, took a small chunk of bone out of my forehead (I can still feel the slightest divot) and 12 stitches to close it all up. Now almost 15 years later and I still have a scar, and I still laugh about it. But I still refuse to shoot that rifle ever again, unless grandpa let's me replace the scope! He's said he might give it to me one day, and if he does, I'm determined to conquer her. But it will get a new scope without a razorblade ocular bell haha.

Trees91

WKR
First time - Shot a skunk out the pickup window left handed (I'm not left handed) when I was about 12 with a 30-06 ruger m77.

Second time...many years later - Ruger m77 375 ruger with a short eye relief ziess terra (a pos from the start). That one drew blood, I super glued it up in the mirror of the pickup. Left a nice scar.

Never thought of it...but maybe it's why I'm not a ruger fan.

Loper

WKR
I don’t have a good story, but definitely had it happen to me the first time I shot my R700 in 30-06. Then the next time I was at the range my brother did the same thing with it.