Why a quilt?

WYO_ATL

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll be doing my very first backpacking hunt this fall. They won’t be extended trips, probably 2 nights and 3 days before I either pack up completely and move or just go back to the truck for fresh gear and food.

I just use an older Mountain Hardware Pinole 20 bag, but have been looking for something a bit more packable and lighter. I thought maybe a quilt would be a good option. It’ll be used in early September, in Wyoming.

Other than smaller and lighter, what is the benefit of a quilt over a bag?

Any brands out there that would be sub $200?

I wouldn’t be using it yearly, as I normally hunt general unit from a wall tent, but I drew a limited tag this year and want to try packing in for a few days.

Give me your opinions, or drop a link for some good articles to read.

Last edited:
Im not going to go through all the pros and cons since this has been discussed too many times to count.

If you didn't know there is a search function on the top of the page. Heres a few links from searching: bag vs quilt

If you still need help after reading those, let us know!

OP
W

WYO_ATL

Lil-Rokslider
Im not going to go through all the pros and cons since this has been discussed too many times to count.

If you didn't know there is a search function on the top of the page. Heres a few links from searching: bag vs quilt

If you still need help after reading those, let us know!

yep, and I even knew that. Guess it was too early in the morning to think through all the options. If I knew how to delete my thread, I would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlgc20

WKR
I am a huge fan of quilts and would never go back to a regular mummy sleeping bags. I use my quilt when I’m backpacking or wall tent camping. But frankly, the quilts you can get in the sub $200 range aren’t worth having. I would stick to your sleeping bag until your budget can allow for a quilt of reasonable quality.

They are as much of a personal choice as boots, packs, bows and rifles. I’ve found that folks either love them or hate them. You’ll never know unless you try one.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I am a huge fan of quilts and would never go back to a regular mummy sleeping bags. I use my quilt when I’m backpacking or wall tent camping. But frankly, the quilts you can get in the sub $200 range aren’t worth having. I would stick to your sleeping bag until your budget can allow for a quilt of reasonable quality.
Ummm... the VIAM synthetic quilts under $200 are solid pieces of gear. Down quilts under $200 are rare but doable. That's a pretty broad statement that any quilt under $200 is garbage, especially when it's not true.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mlgc20

WKR
Ummm... the VIAM synthetic quilts under $200 are solid pieces of gear. Down quilts under $200 are rare but doable. That's a pretty broad statement that any quilt under $200 is garbage, especially when it's not true.

I didn’t say they were garbage. I said they aren’t worth having. I would rather have a cheap sleeping bag than a cheap quilt. I tried a VIAM quilt before. It’s not poorly made. But, it didn't have a system to attach the quilt to a pad like an EE or Ketabatic. If it works for you great. But, like everything else, you get what you pay for.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I haven't used a pad attachment system on any of my quilts. Pad attachment straps are pointless. Buy a quilt that fits to begin with. I run mine inside of a bivy so the straps are just annoying. Even without a bivy I've never used them. Just one more thing to fiddle with. Some people just have to have straps on their quilts, to each their own.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
Enlightened Equipment Revelation Apex Custom Quilts will hover right around $200 (a little less or more depending on the temperature rating, width, and length chosen).

A hammock gear economy burrow will run you in the low $200 range. Think my 20 degree was $230ish and that’s for an extra long/wide with a couple extra oz of fill. If I recall correctly it’s 29 oz. Can’t see myself going back to a bag for the hunts I do.

GrayGoose

Lil-Rokslider
I second checking out the hammock gear economy burrow. I bought one last year and so far have been happy with it.

Mturney

Lil-Rokslider
Ill catch a ride on the hammock gear quilt band wagon. I love mine. I role around a lot and the quilt is built for that.

crich

WKR
I cannot sleep well in a bag due to feeling so restricted. The additional room in a wide quilt is SOOO much much comfortable for me. I can flip from my back to my stomach without having to spin inside of a bag so it doesn't get twisted and all screwy. Huge plus for me. I run a 15 degree enlightened equipment and have been pretty impressed.