Why are all shops handing out 340 spine

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider
Been talking with a friend about our arrow setups for the upcoming whitetail season. This year I’ve decided to step up in arrow weight and will be shooting over 500 grains on a 250 spine arrow. My buddy is going to be shooting 125 grain Annihilator broadheads this year and is trying to decide what arrows to run. He went to the shop and the guy said just run whatever you want in a 340 spine. Now my friend and I are running similar setups in different bows. Both shooting 30” arrows out of 65-70lbs bows (I’m 65 he’s running 70#). Just based on my limited experience I’ve had terrible luck getting 340 to tune out of my bow with even just 100 grain tip. Since I’ve upped my weight and have been experimenting I found I could get the 250 to tune really well. So I was offering him advice on shooting atleast a 300 spine arrow but he said he trusts the guy at the shop. I even showed him on Eastons arrow chart that at 30” and 70 # they recommend 300 spine especially when he’s gonna run 125 up front.
I’ve been to quite a few shops in my area looking for arrrows and parts and it seems no shop even care to look at setup. Everyone I’ve been in does the same thing, they say tour shooting 65-70lbs just run a 340 without even looking at draw length or arrow point weight. Why is it so ingrained in the community to never go past that 340 spine. I’ve found it to be like pulling teeth to get someone to even discuss ordering a 300 spine let alone 250. I’ve tried to give my friend some solid advice becaus I don’t want him to have issues woth arrow flight down the road but he wants to just have the guy at the shop build his arrows for him. I can’t make him reconsider so it is what it is, but it just seems that the shops are not willing to to go above 340 spine. It’s frustrating to me. Is this just a problem in my area or is there something greater going on?

9Line

FNG
Not certain why they would say that, I work at a shop here in Missouri, and we go off of draw length, and weight, as the first two questions, simply because 99% of whitetail hunters in this area go with a 100 grain field point. At your specs, our first instinct would be a 250 spine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big44a4

WKR
Find a new shop. I’ve had shops that don’t carry anything less than 340 just like that shop so they say they can order or push you to a 340. Shop I go to now carries down to 200 spine and will build whatever arrow you want.

I agree in whitetail country most shops carry lighter arrows and are speed driven. They carry what sells. I shoot 80# 29” DL and can get 200-300 to tune fine. So 340 would cover most people.

I'd go ahead and order what you need from South Shore Archery if you aren't getting what you need locally. not only will they get you the spine you need, they'll build the arrow to your spec. in my case i just give them the length and i build my own.

the cool part is they mark the spine on the arrow so my consistency in arrow flight is unrivaled when compared to a factory build or local shop build on stock arrows that are pre fletched. SSA does a great job building them too! it's a little cheaper for me to build them. however if i have a hunt looming, i pay the extra and just have them build them for me.

Ace12

Lil-Rokslider
Not certain why they would say that, I work at a shop here in Missouri, and we go off of draw length, and weight, as the first two questions, simply because 99% of whitetail hunters in this area go with a 100 grain field point. At your specs, our first instinct would be a 250 spine.

Where at In MO

OP
Bmoore

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider
The reason I posted in the first place is because this seems to be rampant at all the shops within an hour of my house. The conversations with my buddy are what really made me think about this.
3 years ago I walked into the shop closest o my house With a bow that was lent to me. Same setup, 65# and 30”. Walked out with 6 400 spine arrows uncut at full length and rage broadheads. Shot one deer. Luckily killed him but 3/4 of the arrow was hanging out. So o started research on my own. Figured I’d learn something’s for myself.
2 years ago drove an hour to a shop with great reviews on the internet. End up upgrading to a new bow that I can call my own and 12 arrows. Settled on the axis and told the guy I wanted to install 50 grain brass upfront. Thought it would help with penetration. Told him I though based on setup And Eastons charts I would need 300 spine. He said no, your fine with 340. He installed the 50 grain insert and handed me arrows. Said I was good. I had trouble getting fixed blades to shoot right so shot the rage again. More research and thought maybe if I had gotten the 300 spine o would be able to get fixed blades to fly right.
This year, found another shop. This is the third I’ve personally been in. Nice people, but they told me no one needs more than 340 spine woth a compound unless they shoot 80lbs bows. Only the trad guys should shoot 250. That’s who they are made for. So said forget it, I’m building my own arrows. Bought some arrows in 250 spine and different field point weights. Watched every video with tuning in the title on YouTube and am working on building my arrows from scratch. Bought my own Arizona ez fletcher and going from there.
Fast forward to this week while I’m talking to my buddy about arrow setups and he tells me about the shop he went to and that he was told 340 spine. This shop he goes toI’ve never been too. But in total over the past few years that’s4 shops who have all been trying to sell me or in the last case a good friend under spined arrows. Even a basic reading of the charts from any arrow manufacturer would say under spined. Yet it’s all you can get.
sorry for the long rants but this is years of reading and interactions at several shops that all end in the same place. If I need my bow worked on I’ll go to the shop because Idon’t know much. But Im Done with advice about arrows. I’m building my own from now on. This post was more of an inquiry I’m to see if other folks have noticed the same thing or if I’m just missing something.

S.Clancy

WKR
The reason I posted in the first place is because this seems to be rampant at all the shops within an hour of my house. The conversations with my buddy are what really made me think about this.
3 years ago I walked into the shop closest o my house With a bow that was lent to me. Same setup, 65# and 30”. Walked out with 6 400 spine arrows uncut at full length and rage broadheads. Shot one deer. Luckily killed him but 3/4 of the arrow was hanging out. So o started research on my own. Figured I’d learn something’s for myself.
2 years ago drove an hour to a shop with great reviews on the internet. End up upgrading to a new bow that I can call my own and 12 arrows. Settled on the axis and told the guy I wanted to install 50 grain brass upfront. Thought it would help with penetration. Told him I though based on setup And Eastons charts I would need 300 spine. He said no, your fine with 340. He installed the 50 grain insert and handed me arrows. Said I was good. I had trouble getting fixed blades to shoot right so shot the rage again. More research and thought maybe if I had gotten the 300 spine o would be able to get fixed blades to fly right.
This year, found another shop. This is the third I’ve personally been in. Nice people, but they told me no one needs more than 340 spine woth a compound unless they shoot 80lbs bows. Only the trad guys should shoot 250. That’s who they are made for. So said forget it, I’m building my own arrows. Bought some arrows in 250 spine and different field point weights. Watched every video with tuning in the title on YouTube and am working on building my arrows from scratch. Bought my own Arizona ez fletcher and going from there.
Fast forward to this week while I’m talking to my buddy about arrow setups and he tells me about the shop he went to and that he was told 340 spine. This shop he goes toI’ve never been too. But in total over the past few years that’s4 shops who have all been trying to sell me or in the last case a good friend under spined arrows. Even a basic reading of the charts from any arrow manufacturer would say under spined. Yet it’s all you can get.
sorry for the long rants but this is years of reading and interactions at several shops that all end in the same place. If I need my bow worked on I’ll go to the shop because Idon’t know much. But Im Done with advice about arrows. I’m building my own from now on. This post was more of an inquiry I’m to see if other folks have noticed the same thing or if I’m just missing something.
I stopped having shops do anything but put strings on years ago. For every decent shop, there are many bad ones. I'd just start buying equipment and learning.

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
Well I suppose 340 is better than 400. When I bought my first bow, I knew nothing. The shop gave me 400 spine arrows for a 70# bow at a 29" draw length. Couldn't for the life of me figure out why fixed blade broad heads were flying as predictable as a good knuckleball. One arrow would hit the target but be at a wacky angle, the next would porpoise and stick in the ground. That shop and every shop in the area told me to just shoot mechanicals. I'm sure at that point my piss poor form wasn't helping either. I was so frustrated I had the bow laying in the driveway and was going to run it over with my truck until my Dad stopped me hah.

I suppose that most guys at most shops don't really care all that much, just want to get discounts for themselves and just want to sell product.

I finally took the dive this year and got set up to do everything myself. Feels so much better.

sndmn11

WKR
Been talking with a friend about our arrow setups for the upcoming whitetail season. This year I’ve decided to step up in arrow weight and will be shooting over 500 grains on a 250 spine arrow. My buddy is going to be shooting 125 grain Annihilator broadheads this year and is trying to decide what arrows to run. He went to the shop and the guy said just run whatever you want in a 340 spine. Now my friend and I are running similar setups in different bows. Both shooting 30” arrows out of 65-70lbs bows (I’m 65 he’s running 70#). Just based on my limited experience I’ve had terrible luck getting 340 to tune out of my bow with even just 100 grain tip. Since I’ve upped my weight and have been experimenting I found I could get the 250 to tune really well. So I was offering him advice on shooting atleast a 300 spine arrow but he said he trusts the guy at the shop. I even showed him on Eastons arrow chart that at 30” and 70 # they recommend 300 spine especially when he’s gonna run 125 up front.
I’ve been to quite a few shops in my area looking for arrrows and parts and it seems no shop even care to look at setup. Everyone I’ve been in does the same thing, they say tour shooting 65-70lbs just run a 340 without even looking at draw length or arrow point weight. Why is it so ingrained in the community to never go past that 340 spine. I’ve found it to be like pulling teeth to get someone to even discuss ordering a 300 spine let alone 250. I’ve tried to give my friend some solid advice becaus I don’t want him to have issues woth arrow flight down the road but he wants to just have the guy at the shop build his arrows for him. I can’t make him reconsider so it is what it is, but it just seems that the shops are not willing to to go above 340 spine. It’s frustrating to me. Is this just a problem in my area or is there something greater going on?

You typed two paragraphs complaining about the short falls of your shop and being so "ingrained" in doing something, and never once mentioned the arrow length(s). That is a pretty important piece of the puzzle....

wadegarrett

Lil-Rokslider
You typed two paragraphs complaining about the short falls of your shop and being so "ingrained" in doing something, and never once mentioned the arrow length(s). That is a pretty important piece of the puzzle....

He wrote 30" in the first paragraph.

I've had similar issues as well. Couldn't get broadheads to group until we went down to 100gr points (400 spine 29" arrows) - but the POI was vastly different. I was told to "just move your sight when you hunt". Even as a new guy, I didn't think that was was legit.

Good for you for learning and building your own setups. Doing that, you know you only have yourself to blame when things go well!

OP
Bmoore

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider
I read 30" draw in there, but never arrow and length together.

“Both shooting 30” arrows out of 65-70lbs bows (I’m 65 he’s running 70#).“

30” Arrows. I have a 30” draw. Don’t know what my biddies actual draw length is but I know both our arrows are 30”. And between the two posts I made I made it clear that it was not just one shop. It atleast 4 different ones. And also, I thought I made it clear that none of those shops seem to care about arrow length or point weight. It seems all they want to hear is that your shooting 60-70lbs.The second they hear that they just say 340. That’s my general concern. It seems atleast to me in the experiences I’ve outlined above that the shops don’t actually consider your full setup or intention(such as running heavier point weights).They just hand out 340 spine arrows like candy on Halloween.

Rob5589

WKR
So hard to find a shop that either carries a good selection of gear or one that doesn't just carry what they like. As you're finding, DIY is the way to go.

I’ve experienced the same thing here in West TN. The local shop dealer, who also used to shoot on the pro tour(many years back) and was sponsored by one of the biggest names in archery, gave me this advice when buying a new VXR. 28.5DL and a 27.75” arrow. He said just run these gold tip hunter XT 340s. I told him I wanted to have a 500gr arrow minimum and I had Axis 300s I was building at home. He continued to try and make the sell, saying “you don’t need that much weight for anything in N America but you can always just add more weight up front on those 340s.”

The drive to sell what is in stock sometimes overcomes these guys. Just remember they are business owners first and 99% of their advice is meant for the 30yds and less whitetail hunter.

and I like my local pro shop. A lot. Just not for arrows. Just my experience.

raptor16

Lil-Rokslider
Being in whitetail country I can tell you that the majority of shops I’ve been in don’t carry hardly anything stiffer than 340. Most people want a 8.0 GPI arrow with a standard insert and 100 gr head shooting 290+.

I’ve had multiple shops tell me I need a 340 when I’m running 175 gr up front at 28”/70# with the arrow cut to 28”. I shoot 300s and they tune as well as I can shoot (which depending on the day isn’t so great lol)

It’s aggravating and that’s why I build my own arrows and have my own shop in my basement.

In whitetail country I am lucky to find a good selection of 340 spines and rarely find 300s anywhere. Tons of 400s.

In today’s world many archers don’t want cookie cutter arrows that aren’t spined correctly or handed bows that aren’t timed correctly or set up right

I actually have my bow in the shop for some warranty work and I’m legit nervous to get it back.

I have heard guys at shops crying about how the internet is ruining their businesses and it’s tough to feel bad when you have to fight with them to get the work done correctly.

sndmn11

WKR
I think this is as good of a case as any for building your own and ordering in shafts. The Lancaster catalog has probably a hundred more options than most any shop would carry.

Reactions: HWR
I have heard guys at shops crying about how the internet is ruining their businesses and it’s tough to feel bad when you have to fight with them to get the work done correctly.
I feel this exact same way! Or they charge an arm and half a leg to get a D loop tied on. For these reasons i have gone to doing all my own work, yes it takes me awhile watching videos but dang does it feel good when your bow shoots spectacular and you did it all yourself.