Why are all shops handing out 340 spine

OP
Bmoore

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider
Let me guess he went to Sportsmans or Cabelas.
Haha. No. None of the previous shops mentioned are big box stores. All local. Which is partly why it’s so disappointing. I would expect that type of “service” from the box stores.

Reactions: Zac

WMag338

WKR
I feel everyone's pain on the archery shops. My local pro shops hand out 340 spines without caring about DL, DW, or broadhead weight. I've had to do more and more research and tuning on my own. A good bow tech who cares about what they are doing and can give solid, truthful advice is worth their weight in gold!

I stumbled into the only place nearby (I live in the dead center of nowhere wyoming) turns out the tech there is incredible, knowledgeable, and spends a lot of time dialing in the bow and the shooter. I got lucky...so some good shops out there.

The same thing happened to me when I bought my new bow. I am 29" Draw and shoot 71lbs. I picked the arrows I wanted and the guy went to the back and grabbed them. He never asked if I was running more weight out front or anything else. When he came out with 350 spine arrows I told him that I was pretty sure I needed 300 spine but he said "No, these are the right ones." I put brass in the front and he never mentioned that the spine might be weak. (I also realized that they didn't square the end of the shaft when I got home). I just went with it and when it came to paper tuning he could not get rid of a right tear. Which for a left handed person like myself, is a weak spine tear. I went home and as soon as I shot broadheads they were WAY off. Needless to say I gave those arrows to my dad who shoots lower poundage and will work good for him. I bought all new arrows in 300 spine and am building the arrows myself. I try to do as much work on my equipment myself, because even though I have never worked in a bow shop, I am pretty sure I know more about archery then they do, and I trust myself WAY more then the shops around me.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
340s work perfectly fine if you cut them to 20 inches.
I shoot 340's at 30" at 32.5" draw at 64lbs with 125's out of one bow, and they shoot great. Arrows stack together at least out to 60. Shot one bull at 71 yards with that setup and a fixed blade head, and it hit exactly where I was aiming. Use whatever works for you, but IMO most guys don't "need" super heavy spines.

Last edited:

MajorAR

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot Easton FMJ 340's as well. 27" draw at 70lbs. Arrows are cut to 26.5". Lots of dead big game.... taken from 15 to 55 yards.

Seeknelk

WKR
I shoot Easton FMJ 340's as well. 27" draw at 70lbs. Arrows are cut to 26.5". Lots of dead big game.... taken from 15 to 55 yards.
26.5 " arrow is going to spine a lot stiffer than at 30". But yeah, they certainly MIGHT work for certain bows, draw cycles, draw lengths etc at 70#.

I use 28.25 inch velocity xt 340 with no problems,im thinking and trying some 125 points instead of 100 to see the difference.

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Just because a chart says an arrow wont tune doesn't mean it for sure wont..... At the same time just because the charts say they will doesn't mean they will. There are infinite "spine" values because they are all dependent on not only the arrows carbon construction but its length.

If a friend doesn't want to take advice who cares. That's their issue. Some need to learn through experience to have things reaffirmed to them.

Guys who run archery shops aren't getting rich for the most part and they aren't hiring guys and paying them 40 bucks an hour to tie on D loops and fletch arrows. Shops need to make money. If tying on a d loop is so easy and cheap to do (which I completely agree it is) why are you having someone else do it. If you disagree with their price take your business elsewhere.