Why are bears different colors?

JohnnyB

WKR
Bears fascinate me. Thanks for taking the time to post. It is very difficult to find trustworthy information about bears. I hope you have time to post more great info or interesting stories.

Elkster12

FNG
Different colors are genetic traits, selected for by adaptation to various environments. Black colored bears get picked off in Arizona canyon country as they don't blend in well, while blondes and cinnamons can blend better with the yellowish brush and red earth.

There are so many things about bears unique only to bears. Here is an interesting example.

Delayed implantation is a curious situation. A female under 140 pounds that has been bred will not become pregnant that first winter. If she is over 140 the next summer and breeds again, she will have both cubs that winter when she is sleeping. Two cubs will be born from two different fathers, a year apart in breeding but both born at the same time. If she were to breed a third male later that summer, she would have three cubs from three different males at the same time.
MIND. BLOWN. o_O

Thanks for the detailed post. Great read and good information. Looking forward to that Northeastern Alberta bear hunt even more this spring! Come on color phase! Lol

crossone

FNG
Here’s something and buddy and I discovered on our own. Bears in north Idaho can have a wide color range, like JJ said. We noticed that when we spotted bears in clearcuts or glades (called parks in Montana, weirdos) they were black almost every time. Once in a great while see a dark chocolate or cinnamon across a canyon in a clearcut or opening but 95% blacks. When we would catch a bear crossing a road, they were only black about 50% of the time, with chocolates and cinnamons making up most of the rest with a very occasional blonde. This led us to the conclusion that we weren’t glassing clearcuts and
glades as thoroughly as we should be (of course 30 years ago in north Idaho not 1 hunter in 10 actually used binos). We assumed that the color phase bears were probably just as prevalent in clearcuts and clearings as the black ones, we were just missing them. JJs post reminded me of that long ago conclusion that openings need to be glassed for other than black bears as well as black bears. Blackies often stand out from their surroundings but I think finding the lighter colored bears might require specifically looking for them when you’re glassing as well.

Great thread!

Crossone

Last edited:

Westwa

FNG
Incredible. Had no clue about the cubs. Probably a long shot but I am new to bear hunting this year in western Washington. Bought a Weyerhaeuser permit, Vail to be exact, as it's closer to home and will allow for more time in the field for scouting etc. through all seasons. Is there any way I could pick your brains about the unit or big game hunting in general? Either way appreciate your sharing!