Why are stand alone GPS so awful?

Rob5589

WKR
The demand isn't there. People have switched to their phones with OnX, Basemap, etc. If Garmin came out with something that is basically a smartphone sized, smartphone intuitive GPS, that may gain some market. Maybe. A smartphone just has far more use and capability.

OP
H
My Garmin allows you to download imagery, and I am pretty sure it is an older model of the one you have. The thing that sucked is that it was Garmin's imagery, and you had to have a subscription for it. I chose to never use it.
This does include what they call BirdsEye satellite imagery, forgot about that. I just downloaded the image for this same area, not even going to post it it's that bad :LOL: At the highest detail you can download 2.5mi squares and there doesn't appear to be a good way to download a large number of squares while minimizing gaps/overlap. You can't see what you are saving until it completely downloads, and it's about 50mb per image.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Another plus to the GPS is I can go an entire 30 day hunting season with the same alkaline AA batteries, and still have over 50% power left. (y)

wapitibob

WKR
Garmin had the opportunity to create a high quality hand unit when they introduced the Monterra; decent screen but the Android OS was their ticket. Per usual, they mothballed it about the time it became available. Had they built on that OS and added a decent screen we wouldn't be having this discussion. They'll never be a real player now, choosing to focus on dog collars and watches.

wapitibob

WKR
This does include what they call BirdsEye satellite imagery, forgot about that. I just downloaded the image for this same area, not even going to post it it's that bad :LOL: At the highest detail you can download 2.5mi squares and there doesn't appear to be a good way to download a large number of squares while minimizing gaps/overlap. You can't see what you are saving until it completely downloads, and it's about 50mb per image.

Topofusion will allow you to download and import to the gps both topo and sat imagery. I used to use his program to download and convert imagery to my garmin montana. Even though the imagery is quality, the gps screen is the limiting factor. I still use topofusion to download that imagery to my laptop for use in google earth pro when off line or out in hunt camp.
A craigslist iphone for $100 is an option too. I used a cheap phone that only had wifi for year and it worked great.

Garmin knows dog collars are money makers, when everyone is using phones for a gps. I personally love my garmin Astro and alpha for hunting with hounds. How detailed of an aerial map do you want/need for hunting? I am generally curious on this as I am looking to go out west elk hunting this fall. I generally just use it to determine fields/ timber/ open areas when I am hound hunting. I think the new garmin alpha is easy to use . Also a new phone is way more expensive than a $500 gps but theses just my thoughts. Not a big fan of some of always needing to buy a chip for a new gps but I just figure it’s another cost

OP
H
So I did withhold a bit of info why I needed a stand-alone GPS, but suffice to say it’s something I must have even if it is not up to snuff compared to phone tech. Carrying a second phone dedicated to mapping wasn’t an option. So I returned the Garmin 66sr and bought a 66i that I found on sale for $11 less than the sr.

It’s a trade off for a bit of sensor accuracy to get the inreach capability, but the mapping is the same and I really don’t want to carry 4 separate devices (phone, GPS, inreach, radio). And it’s cheaper than getting an older gps unit plus an inreach mini.

wapitibob

WKR
Yes I'm aware I'm in the minority, but I'm sure there's others like me that don't want such an annoying device to ruin my experience when I'm outdoors. I'll gladly take the GPS unit that only gives me the navigation I need to know and nothing else.

Put the phone in airplane mode and it's nothing but a gps.

Fatcamp

WKR
Like @wyodan I don't own a smartphone, so a GPS is a must. Not to get too off topic, but I find that relying on airplane mode for some peace and quiet leads to inevitably turning off airplane mode "just to check one thing" etc..

The problem comes when you forget to turn airplane mode back on and the battery dies. A quick message about time and location can turn into major hassle.