Why build a custom for a max of 500 yards or less today?

tdhanses

WKR
I keep seeing custom build threads for max distance that many factory rifles are very capable of, why spend the extra money on a custom if max is 500 yards and you’ll be shooting factory ammo? Am I missing something? Having not shot much factory ammo out of my builds, will it shoot better in a custom, personally I don’t think so but I could be wrong?

Also I’m not judging just wondering as I built my custom and semi-custom to shoot high BC bullets that no factory rifle or few factory rifles come with fast enough barrels to shoot, zero factory loaded ammo options, long enough mag boxes and should be .5moa or less due to quality of machining but I’ll also need to reload to squeak out every bit of accuracy and efficency from what factory ammo and rifles don’t offer.

Also why not just do a semi-custom over a full custom with just a rebarrel, stock and trigger on a factory rifle? My semi-custom Howa is just as accurate as my full custom but was half the cost. Have we as a group sold people on customs when a custom really will not be an improvement?

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
If you're going to replace the entire rifle sans action, why not buy a custom? 600 on a rifle to toss everything but the action seems silly when you can buy something like the Stiller Predator for 400 more.

500+ yds is easily doable with any quality stick and good ammo, off the rack.

mt100gr.

WKR
I wonder the same thing every time I am tempted to build another rifle or even go semi- custom. I shoot a fair bit at 500 as well as at longer ranges. I have 3 off-the-shelf rifles (been tweaked some but no semi-customs changes ) that will shoot right along side my RBros. I do handload for all of them and I believe that gives me a little edge with the factory rifles. My RBros would probably shoot factory ammo as well as my factory rifles shoot custom ammo.

Actually told my wife today that IF I was smart, I'd invest any money that I am tempted to spend on another rifle on components to feed the ones I have. I shot the lights out today with my Tikka CTR.

I think it's a few things.
I think some are fibbing on the 500 max, they dont want to be crucified for hunting at "long range"

Once they nail 500 they already have a rifle to keep extending the distance.

One reason for me was configuration I wanted a prone hard drop style stock. But not super heavy.
I dropped like 2 pounds off the next closest factory rifle I could find in that style.

And alot is ease, not saying I'm lazy I have shot my custom alot. But alot of variables get narrowed down with the rite custom. I didn't didn't want to be chasing my tail, doing alot of load work up etc.. I just dont enjoy that.
I want to be spending my money and time in the field practicing my shooting.
Not trying to figure out why its doing this or that.

C Bow

WKR
In my part of the country most of the people I know who have spent big money as in 5 to 8 thousand dollars on custom rifles do not shoot them enough to shoot 500 yards but they do have a custom rifle

Because we’re stupid, it’s not necessary. I have a few custom or semi customs yet frequently lean towards my factory 300 wsm xbolt that was $800 for actual hunting.

I build customs to get the twist, freebore, and magazine space to seat long bullets ideally. It’s nice to choose your exact barrel length, contour, and muzzle threading and choose your exact stock as well. These things help more on the magnum chamberings with recoil management.

Jbehredt

WKR
Fit, feel, appearance, craftsmanship, durability, specific features, bragging rights in no particular order. As I get older price and immediate availability become less and less of a factor in most of my purchases.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
And some people drive Corvettes when a Hyundai would get them everywhere they need to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha, completely understand this perspective and nothing wrong with that.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
Fit, feel, appearance, craftsmanship, durability, specific features, bragging rights in no particular order. As I get older price and immediate availability become less and less of a factor in most of my purchases.

After going through the long process of builds waiting on parts etc, my next rifle will be off the shelf and then maybe later I’ll upgrade stock, trigger etc, if needed. There are some very quality factory options today.

Jbehredt

WKR
After going through the long process of builds waiting on parts etc, my next rifle will be off the shelf and then maybe later I’ll upgrade stock, trigger etc, if needed. There are some very quality factory options today.

Definitely some quality off the shelf offerings. More than ever I’d say. My last two rifles have been “almost” off the shelf.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I do the custom rifle route because I get obsessed with finding good deals on gun parts in the off season, and build a Purpose built gun over a 2-3 year span. Still spendy but I probably save $500 per build by gathering parts on forums that are minor blems or used etc. It is also less painful spending a few bucks here or there vs $3k on a whole new gun. Summertime I coat the new build myself and shoot prairie dogs June-Sept to get acquainted with it. Come hunting season I’ve got confidence in the weapon, my dope, and my skills.

We’re all on these forums because we like the different gear. For some of us the gun toys are the best part. Legos for adults.

264win

WKR
There is very little need to build a custom rifle today. With brands like Seekins, Fierce, CA, etc. Ten years ago we didn’t have the choices we do today. IMHO the gunsmiths ( in general) will have to up their game to stay in business. People are starting to realize that they don’t need to pay 3-4K and wait 6-12 months for a premium rifle.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’m building my first custom to see what’s it’s all about. Needed? Probably not, but it’s one of two big game rifles I will own, and the other I only get to use when I can get it from my wife’s hands.

I also don’t want to play factory gun roulette any longer, because I want a gun that will shoot I also have a good idea what I want in a hunting gun now, so picking the parts was easy enough. Will a custom put together by a smith shoot better than my tikkas in new stocks? I don’t know, but I’d expect the QC involved in a custom build would dictate the chances of a flop are far less. None the less the custom action I’m using is no more than a rem 700 with some add ons and tighter tolerances, I’d doubt it will make any difference but considering the price it would have demanded to get into another stainless tikka with add ons, or true a rem 700 action, it was a no brainer for me to spend the extra.

With all this I just want a no shit moa rifle, that I can shoot well from different positions, is tough, and goes bang every time.

Maybe a year from now I’ll be sitting here thinking building a gun was not a good idea.

Another positive to a custom action is the ability to buy a shouldered prefit barrel and change it out myself. If I will do that in the future? I don’t know, but the option is nice to have

Last edited:

tdot

WKR
I think it really depends on what each individual values. A custom gun is a completely different experience then an off-the shelf gun. It is no different then anything else in our lives that we are to customize. From homes to cars to boots, to even the food we eat. It can always be argued that a factory produced product will be cheaper and almost as good (possibly even better).

But custom is 1 part product and 1 part experience. Buying at Cabelas will never provide the experience. There is nothing wrong with Cabelas and there is nothing wrong with buying off the shelf. But if I have the time and available resources, I will take custom every time.

I think the semi custom route is tough to make economic sense. If you replace 1 part, then ok, but if you are replacing 75% of the rifle, then I really struggle to justify it. (I've tried and gone down that path and was disappointed in the results)

(I'm also pretty sure there is a healthy dose of exaggeration on the level of accuracy of some of these factory rifles. Shooting 5 groups and having 1 group come in under 1/2 moa, does not make it a sub 1/2 moa gun, IMO)

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
tdot you make a valid point, are the claims consistent for these factory rifles, sure seems like it.

I do know with my guns they are consistent, easy to develop a load for and as long as I do my part they’ll do theirs.

Really I’ve invested way more going down this rabbit hole and makes me wonder if it’s been worth it. The Cabelas experience is one day of frustration, doing a build has many many leading up to completion as I swear barrel makers, stock makers etc all have huge backlogs and never meet their estimated deadlines and that is all before the smith does anything, then we have to deal with that backlog.

Now I’ll say after all said and done, I’ve not had frustration with the final result. Now that has been my experience but I’ve seen others that have not had as good of an experience with customs and have had to get barrels replaced etc so there is still a possibility of having issues after the fact.

gbflyer

WKR
I do it because it gives my liver a break. 50 mile flight to town or 5 hours on a ferry system that we can no longer pay for. Winter is tough for some of us. My situation isn’t all that uncommon for AK but it is in other places. I enjoy the learning process, and I take the mistakes in stride. I have so much money in tooling that I could buy a dozen customs. But that’s no fun.

Also, I hate waiting a year for a simple barrel job when most of the barrel manufacturers can get me one in around a month. Stocks are closer to 3 months.

Edit: Oh yeah. I have to leave town to shoot past a couple of hundred yards. Hahahaha.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
I do it because it gives my liver a break. 50 mile flight to town or 5 hours on a ferry system that we can no longer pay for. Winter is tough for some of us. My situation isn’t all that uncommon for AK but it is in other places. I enjoy the learning process, and I take the mistakes in stride. I have so much money in tooling that I could buy a dozen customs. But that’s no fun.

Also, I hate waiting a year for a simple barrel job when most of the barrel manufacturers can get me one in around a month. Stocks are closer to 3 months.

Edit: Oh yeah. I have to leave town to shoot past a couple of hundred yards. Hahahaha.

See now your situation I think is different in that you are doing the work, not sending it out to be done. I bet your liver wouldn’t be saved if you had to wait 8 months each time you wanted to change something up.