Why Carry a Sidearm?

Block

WKR
Just bought my first handgun even tho here in Cali we can’t carry them during archery. Iv ran into several old “grow sites” in the back of canyons (luckily abandoned) and would NOT want to be around that without a gun !

Beendare

WKR
Why carry?
Because now I've seen some crazy stuff. Even if its low odds, its worth the piece of mind.

A recent example; Guided hog ranch in NorCal a hunter was sneaking on a big hog and didn't se another big hog in the tall grass that charged him, knocked him down and could have killed him without a firearm. I've been seeing a spate of these hogs charge instead of run....so stalking in close- my last hog stalk in central Ca was shot at 12 yds in wide open tall grass. I've shot 4 or 5 hogs with a bow that charged me. [I'm not posting those pics anymore as they get poached for nefarious purposes]

One thing is pretty well documented- when you corner a boar...he will charge. [If its with dogs...they charge you 99% of the time] IME.

I jumped a brownie at 20' crossing one of those alder choked draws on the AK islands. It was super thick and thankfully he ran in the opposite direction breaking stuff like a vehicle was plowing through there. I doubt I would have been able to draw my bow with those overhanging branches and thick stuff.

I used to never carry. Then I started packing on Kodiak....then in the lower 48 grizz country. Now I pack on most hunts....9mm shield in BB country and a G20 in G bear country- both with hard cast loads.

There are still hunts and backpack trips I don't pack a pistol- like in Co...or in the Sierras.

______

Last edited:
Why carry?
Because now I've seen some crazy stuff. Even if its low odds, its worth the piece of mind.

A recent example; Guided hog ranch in NorCal a hunter was sneaking on a big hog and didn't se another big hog in the tall grass that charged him, knocked him down and could have killed him without a firearm. I've been seeing a spate of these hogs charge instead of run....so stalking in close- my last hog stalk in central Ca was shot at 12 yds in wide open tall grass. I've shot 4 or 5 hogs with a bow that charged me. [I'm not posting those pics anymore as they get poached for nefarious purposes]

One thing is pretty well documented- when you corner a boar...he will charge. [If its with dogs...they charge you 99% of the time] IME.

I jumped a brownie at 20' crossing one of those alder choked draws on the AK islands. It was super thick and thankfully he ran in the opposite direction breaking stuff like a vehicle was plowing through there. I doubt I would have been able to draw my bow with those overhanging branches and thick stuff.

I used to never carry. Then I started packing on Kodiak....then in the lower 48 grizz country. Now I pack on most hunts....9mm shield in BB country and a G20 in G bear country- both with hard cast loads.

______

Makes me think of people on motorcycles that don’t wear helmets. Whenever I see one I always think ‘well they have never been in or seen a serious bike wreck’. I’ve never had to use my pistol on dangerous game and hope I never have to. A bow on a bear charge, even with the 1% chance you get one off your getting worked real bad or dead.

Always have it in the back of my bino rig. I don't like the hip belt location. I don't like a separate chest rig and a bino harness, so I had Rugged stitching make me a simple pouch and elastic strap for my bino rig.

I’ve seen this and it’s crazy. Amazing how he was able to get himself back to safety. Why not carry is a better question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jackmat69

FNG
Any opinions on the best side arm for archery backpack elk hunting? Never owned a pistol. Not wanting to break the bank.

JDixon

FNG
Glock 20 (10mm) seem to be popular. The grip is not comfortable to me, pretty bulky. I think you would need a large hand to fit. Stippling the grip helps. Kimber in 10mm is a nice option, hold 2 less rounds and a little more than twice the price of the Glock.

ncavi8tor

WKR
Any opinions on the best side arm for archery backpack elk hunting? Never owned a pistol. Not wanting to break the bank.
Regardless of which handgun you purchase, I advise you to get some good training and run at least 1000 rounds of practice ammo through it before you take it to the woods. I would also run at least 300 rounds of the ammo I will be carrying before calling it 100% reliable. Drawing and placing rounds on a small target while in different positions should be second nature!

Good luck!

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk