Why Carry a Sidearm?

Fatcamp

WKR
I carry more from a concern about 2 legged predators. Everyone hunts in their habitat.

Of course, but the only time I have actually drawn my pistol was over a German Shepherd. I am so glad I didn't have to shoot that dog.

blackdawg

WKR
Dogs don't freak me out. I'll kick the dog-shit out of a dog. 2 starts to become a cautious thing, gotta fully commit to taking out whichever one engages first, decisively, in order to make sure you're attention doesn't become divided. 3 or more? Definitely would prefer some weapon help cause then they start getting crafty with the tag-team action.

Wrong, you want kick the shit out of pit bulls. In my world I have wrestled with pit bulls to treat them. You don’t understand the power of one much less 2 of them. Dangerous animals imho and from my experience handling them a grown man could be taken down and killed by a pair. Arm up because the pit bull owners have a strong tendency to be shady characters, looters and rioters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
Wrong, you want kick the shit out of pit bulls. In my world I have wrestled with pit bulls to treat them. You don’t understand the power of one much less 2 of them. Dangerous animals imho and from my experience handling them a grown man could be taken down and killed by a pair. Arm up because the pit bull owners have a strong tendency to be shady characters, looters and rioters

Sigh... whenever I'm confronted with somebody who thinks "the breed" is dangerous... I remind them that "Petey" from "The Lil Rascals" (you know, Spanky, Alfalfa and Buckwheat?) was a Pitbull... and ya don't see everyone screaming and running in terror whenever Petey enters the scene now do ya?

That having been said, I do acknowledge that there are folks who unfortunately go out of their way to create "Bully" Hybrids of the breed which are extra yoked and picked expressly for aggressive traits. But even those are cool if the owner establishes that position of extreme dominance early on in the raising of that dog.

And I'm sorry... I know it's kind of a side-track, I just don't like it when the masses do that uninformed thing of blaming the breed, rather than the lack of commitment to training on the part of the owner. It would be like getting mad at children for being d*cks when they've been allowed to just be that way from sh*tty parents, as an analogy. You don't blame the kid... ya get mad at the parent. And I imagine a similar stance could be said re: stupid proposed Gun Control.

FLAK

WKR
The only time I've had to fire my weapon in self defense was on a Pit Bull. I only fired a warning shot in the ground and he
reluctantly left the scene. Next one was going in the Noggin.
Let me say that THE ONLY time I've ever had problems with dogs were Pit Bulls. And they are the primary reason I started carrying. I now run Buffalo Bore hardcast in my little .380, as i remember thinking I wasnt going to get enough penetration on the previously mentioned dog with my hollow points.

TheGDog

WKR
BTW... I didn't say not to kick Dogs. Duh! That's the first thing you do! I was just talking about if the scuffle gets up close and personal.

As kids we used to have to ride bikes past this Junkyard on the way to "The Funnel" which was this area along the man-made LA-River that has this long sloping concrete funnel that points towards it over by the Vermont Drive-In there where the 91 Fwy terminates. All these Sk8ters would descend on the place on the weekends. This was at the beginning of the skateboard craze in the mid-to-late 70's. And there was thsi Junkyard ya had to ride past that had these REAL AGGRO Junkyard dogs that would come out and chase us on your lil 20" bikes. I musta been... like.. maybe 9yo? And my brothers just told me if they get too close, just reach back and kick'em with your heel, and that's EXACTLY what I did a time or two! Weird how funky weird stuff like that you enjoy remembering soo many years later.

TheGDog

WKR
Arm up because the pit bull owners have a strong tendency to be shady characters, looters and rioters
Funny story... I grew up in the 'hood right... so there I am, walkin' home from grade school, bout 9yo I'd say... As I approach the corner this Brother comes by... total HoodRat poster-boy... Creased Dickies... The Creased WhiteT... James Brown perm-straightened hair, with some curlers in it, Newport all hangin' off the lip, which was common back then. And he comes by... walkin' this Rottie right? But I'm over here trippin', being a kid an all, cause the dog has a chain with 5Lbs plate hangin' off his neck. So my mind is all like WTF?? So of course, I have to ask "Why does he have that weight around his neck?" SMDH... "Ta make 'eem stronga fa' fightin'!" he replies. And I distinctly remember... even as a young kind, thinking to myself "What a weirdo."

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m telling you people and dogs. Both can be a bitch in the woods. We have had a pit bull in the family and two full grown pit bulls are not something you are just going to kick off you. My opinion, two could easily kill a man. Our Pitt bull was sweat as pie until she wasn’t, then there was no way I’d take her on. I now have a Belgium Melenious and her jaws are absolutely terrifying lol. Some of the places I hunt whitetail in SE Oklahoma have had people disappear quite a bit over the years. With the amount of meth heads around now days and no more morals I pack every day and it’s 9mm around town and in the woods it’s 10mm, .357 or .44.

I live in a nice upscale area and there have been three times where I felt I was on the cusp of being attacked for no reason and just by shear luck things turned. Those situations could have went the wrong way. You can’t predict when crazy is going to strike. Carry.

Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

blackdawg

WKR
I’m telling you people and dogs. Both can be a bitch in the woods. We have had a pit bull in the family and two full grown pit bulls are not something you are just going to kick off you. My opinion, two could easily kill a man. Our Pitt bull was sweat as pie until she wasn’t, then there was no way I’d take her on. I now have a Belgium Melenious and her jaws are absolutely terrifying lol. Some of the places I hunt whitetail in SE Oklahoma have had people disappear quite a bit over the years. With the amount of meth heads around now days and no more morals I pack every day and it’s 9mm around town and in the woods it’s 10mm, .357 or .44.

I live in a nice upscale area and there have been three times where I felt I was on the cusp of being attacked for no reason and just by shear luck things turned. Those situations could have went the wrong way. You can’t predict when crazy is going to strike. Carry.

Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bingo! Nice but when triggered, insanely powerful and aggressive!My evaluation is through observation and hands on experience also. You will need a defensive tool to stop some dog breeds!

Bear country for sure. Sometimes if I'm hunting in a shady area with the 2 legged predator problem. Drug growers and tweaker run ins have happened.

Beendare

WKR
I didnt pack on my last late season AZ deer hunt....but my buddy was glad he did. He shot a Javelina....and when he went over to it...it started squealing and trying to get up. well the squealing brought in his buddies all puffed up chomping their teeth...until a few close shots drove them off.