Why did browning discontinue the Hells Canyon Speed

CG86

FNG
Anyone know why Browning is discontinuing the x-bolt Hells Canyon speed? And what are they replacing it with?

Looking at getting one in a 6.5 PRC and they only come in a 1:7 twist. Heard 1:8 was better for that caliber. Anyone have experience with it?

Thanks

nobody

WKR
The "Speed" is the model (lightweight fluted barrel, cerakoting, etc.), Hell's Canyon had to do with the camo pattern. They're still offering the speed model, just a new camo pattern. Here it is.

OP
C

CG86

FNG
Ok that makes more sense. I had a very confusing conversation with a very confident gun counter guy. And they were showing up on their discontinued site. So I got all turned around.

Anyone have any insight on the 1:7 vs 1:8 barrel twist?

nobody

WKR
Ok that makes more sense. I had a very confusing conversation with a very confident gun counter guy. And they were showing up on their discontinued site. So I got all turned around.

Anyone have any insight on the 1:7 vs 1:8 barrel twist?
Tighter twist (I.E. lower second number) is better for stabilizing heavier bullets, all things equal. I've got one creedmoor that has a 1:8 twist and it shoots the 140 ELD Match ammo into about 3/4 MOA, while my 1:7 twisted X Bolt as well shoots ragged holes with the same load. They both shoot good, but the same load shoots much better in the 1:7. The 1:8 will work for a PRC, but if you can get the 1:7 I would do it without question.

Not sure why somebody tried to tell you to go 1:8 over 1:7 in your 6.5 PRC, as Hornady's factory offerings for the PRC are the 143 ELDX and the 147 ELDM, which are both heavier for caliber. With Berger offering a 156 EOL, you could handload that sucker and have no issues stabilizing those heavy bullets, which tend to have higher BC's and are less effected by wind drift and tend to carry more energy downrange.

I think it's great that Browning is starting to standardize the 1:7 for their 6.5 cartridges, hopefully other companies start to follow suit.

EDIT: Their Western Hunter 6.5 PRC has a 1:7 twist, so does their base model Speed. Looks like you don't even have the option for the 1:8. Seriously, I would be more hesitant on a 1:8 vs a 1:7, but both should work. Browning just happens to only do the 1:7 for their PRC and Creedmoor.

OP
C

CG86

FNG
Awesome, that answers my question perfectly. Thanks for the info.

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
Delete this if it's hijacking - but I heard a lot about how heavy their factory triggers were - with many putting in3rd-party triggers.

Has Remington Browning addressed/fixed/changed that?

Last edited:

92xj

WKR
And for the record, I didn’t hate my speed trigger, but I did first go the Mcarbo spring route for a few months and then did the complete trigger replacement with a timney. I like it a lot now and have zero complaints.

Delete this if it's hijacking - but I heard a lot about how heavy their factory triggers were - with many putting in3rd-party triggers.

Has Remington Browning addressed/fixed/changed that?

I bought a HCS last year and had no problem at all adjusting the trigger pull down to a tad under 3 lb. That's a sample of 1 though.

Darryle

WKR
Classified Approved
My X-Bolt Long Range Stalker has an adjusted via Mcarbo trigger spring weight of 2lbs 2.4oz

full-25419-366098-7f01a072_0851_4026_b69c_b56a3a237019.jpeg

I did a write up on how I accomplish this on nearly every X-Bolt I have owned if anyone is interested.

gman82001

Lil-Rokslider
I’d definitely be interested in a write up I just got my new speed LR a couple weeks ago and it’s showing promise with some reloads but I know I can do better once I’m used to the trigger

Attachments

• 27B8ACDF-EE5C-4140-A990-F2B7576A3D9C.jpeg
    27B8ACDF-EE5C-4140-A990-F2B7576A3D9C.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 43
  • CA2B1B9F-DE39-4043-B5D8-AA2557E42EAF.jpeg
    CA2B1B9F-DE39-4043-B5D8-AA2557E42EAF.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 41
The MCarbo springs are a necessity for all Browning rifles, unless you are going to switch to an aftermarket trigger. Really helps them out.

Darryle

WKR
Classified Approved
I’d definitely be interested in a write up I just got my new speed LR a couple weeks ago and it’s showing promise with some reloads but I know I can do better once I’m used to the trigger
Here you go:

****Performing any modifications to your rifle may create an unsafe condition and are not recommended by me****

The ever so slightly longer spring on top is the MCarbo. Adjusted until the screw was a half a thread from falling out the lowest average was 2lbs 10oz.

The Yo Dave spring on the left set as per the instructions for the MCarbo yielded an average of 2lbs 6oz, same setting yielded an average pull of 2lbs 14.8oz with the MCarbo.

So, I thought, I have 2 springs and one gun, let's cut one up and see what happens.

I cut a full round off of the MCarbo, set it as per their instructions, average pull was 2lbs 10oz, backed out until just a half a thread was holding it averaged 2lbs 4oz.

Removed it 2 more times and trimmed a little off the last coil, reinstalled and tested, set per the instructions it yielded 2lbs 5oz with the first trim, second trim was pay dirt, 2lbs 0.1oz average over a ten pull test. I added a few drops of ALG Go Juice and performed a few dry fires.

Reassembled and did a vigorous bump/drop test, to the point my buddy thought I was going to bust the stock, 10 bumps and then a pull test, 3 different times and the average pull was 2lbs 0oz, each pull test was exactly the same, which is surprising since they always vary 2-3oz.

So, I don't recommend that you or anyone else cut their spring, but you want as close to a 2 1/2lb trigger pull as possible, the Yo Dave spring is highly recommended.

Just a heads up, they ship Canadian post, you will not receive tracking information, it just shows up about 2 weeks later give or take, it could have been in the mail box a few days.

If you are confident in your abilities, then you can modify your spring as you see fit, but order 2 of them for safe measure. Start small and trim small each subsequent time, and vigorously bump/drop test your rifle.

A 2lb flush X-Bolt trigger is a thing of beauty, rivaling the Tikka T3x trigger with an Ernie The Gunsmith Varmint spring.

Good luck and be safe!

full-25419-197254-20190818_184218.jpg

I tried to change out the spring on my Xbolt Stalker in .243 With a Mcarbo. Screwed it up and broke the trigger housing. Replaced it with a Timney and now I’m very happy with the new trigger. For those who are wondering how I broke the trigger housing, I couldn’t figure out how to swap the spring with the trigger mounted to the action. I tried to remove the trigger for better access. (hindsight that was a mistake ) and did not properly back up the pot metal housing as I was driving out one of the pins. IIRC I broke a little tab off the trigger housing.

Darryle

WKR
Classified Approved
Dental pick from Harbor Freight will make the job easy, grab the end of the factory spring and spin it out thru the screw hole without trying to dig it out like Mcarbo recommends.