Why do we burry our poop?

Muddygut

FNG
If for no other reason, so that I don't step in it myself if I come back through the area soon.

Wrench

WKR
Division and 3rd 7:27am today. Man crapped in the road and didn't wipe a single swipe.

Burying your turds and wiping died with 2020. Welcome to the new normal where chitting in public is cool......and burying it simply isn't going to happen.

Moserkr

WKR
Division and 3rd 7:27am today. Man crapped in the road and didn't wipe a single swipe.

Burying your turds and wiping died with 2020. Welcome to the new normal where chitting in public is cool......and burying it simply isn't going to happen.
Yup in the end of 2019, an avalanche blocked hwy 50 to tahoe so all the sacramento/san fran idiots got stuck in a blizzard on their way to go skiing. Freeway and side roads were packed with no way through my mountain town which is halfway to tahoe, and theres no way around. They ended up parking on the freeway/side roads for 8-10 hours, blocking emergency vehicles, locals, and snow plows from going anywhere. None were prepared, many ran out of gas, and by 12pm, they started shitting in the streets and even on a business’s doorsteps that was closed. I drove a mile on the wrong side of the road to pick up my wife and kid who had to leave her car at a local parking lot due to being blocked in by all the flatlanders.

No one despises CA people more than me, and if you sell your house in a free state to someone from here, please vet them or you are helping perpetuate the spread of the disease. Shit covered streets will be coming to a town near you if you dont stop it. And these are well off yuppies, not just the homeless....

slowelk

WKR
If you believe you should live your life in accordance with the Holy Bible, burying your shit is in there - Deuteronomy 23:13.

For a more secular, contemporary take, I think it goes hand in hand with the leave no trace ideology. There was a thread this week about our biggest public land pet peeves, and littering seemed to be the most agreed upon behavior that people despise. I include not burying your shit and wiping material to be littering.

If you believe you should live your life in accordance with the Holy Bible, burying your shit is in there - Deuteronomy 23:13.

Wow, that's really specific, too. Here's the English Standard Version:
"And you shall have a trowel with your tools, and when you sit down outside, you shall dig a hole with it and turn back and cover up your excrement."
So, certainly not a new concept!

Jkr61

FNG
Rafters have been hauling their poop out for many years. When people started floating the Grand Canyon and other rivers everyone buried it. Over time so many people were using the same camp sites the poop started to cause bacterial and other problems on the beaches/campsites. Our poop can make us sick burying it away from water helps to keep our rivers and us healthy but if people continue to use the outdoors more and more and the same camp locations over and over we will see more of a need to haul everything out.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Just go hunt one day with @Ryan Avery and you will be a poop burying advocate

Seriously though, up along the salmon river when steelhead fishing gets busy, you’re begging for people to bury their poop. Looks like a skid-mark tickertape parade in some of those brush pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The last damn thing I want to see is someone’s bowel movement. I’ve never stepped directly in one but have come close, I don’t want to have to lock eyes with someone else’s work. People also need to learn to use some cover when the bomb bay doors are open. Nothing like starting your day out glassing spotting someone’s squatting ass. Between crap piles and rattlesnakes it can be treacherous at times. But the ones that really get me shaking my head is when you come across one and there is no TP in sight, I’m all for roughing but that’s just crossing the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

treillw

WKR
"As far as I’m aware no critters bury theirs"

I guess my dog and cat missed this memo lol. They suck at it but they sure attempt to cover it

Maybe we should adopt another trait from the wildlife kingdom and try ingestion as a method of cleaning up after ourselves?

Just an idea.

Tod osier

WKR
I dated a lady who was all about camping and the outdoors. She had two dogs. This was the summer before I learned I had celiacs so I would consistently have the shits of all forms, suddenly, emergency style, and sometimes they were endless.
One of her dogs loved eating shit, and therefore he loved me because I shit so much. I would walk a half mile out from camp, cheeks clenched keeping the gluten fury contained in my body to attempt to get far enough away. It never worked. That dog would disappear for a few hours, and come back with his head covered in my bowel squirts, TP stuck in his gums, and I would barf.

Same story, but subtract the celiac, make the gal the wife and add the dog puking it up inside the tent.

Last edited:
The last damn thing I want to see is someone’s bowel movement. I’ve never stepped directly in one but have come close, I don’t want to have to lock eyes with someone else’s work. People also need to learn to use some cover when the bomb bay doors are open. Nothing like starting your day out glassing spotting someone’s squatting ass. Between crap piles and rattlesnakes it can be treacherous at times. But the ones that really get me shaking my head is when you come across one and there is no TP in sight, I’m all for roughing but that’s just crossing the line.
The blue nitrile gloves are perfect for your wiping hand, and then you are able to gather up the TP and as you remove the glove the TP is contained in the now-inside-out glove. And that little trick makes packing out ass-wipes a little more doable.... and may be an explanation for your observations. Obviously, having a glove on the "clean-up" hand helps keep things a bit more sanitary as well. I hate seeing TP scattered around the woods.

The blue nitrile gloves are perfect for your wiping hand, and then you are able to gather up the TP and as you remove the glove the TP is contained in the now-inside-out glove. And that little trick makes packing out ass-wipes a little more doable.... and may be an explanation for your observations. Obviously, having a glove on the "clean-up" hand helps keep things a bit more sanitary as well. I hate seeing TP scattered around the woods.
Good idea. Now they just need to start selling brown nitrile gloves.

Azone

WKR
Valid point, but if someone was gonna be that conscience about their mess you would think they would bury it or pack it out as well.

zacattack

WKR
So my dog doesn't eat it.
True story, we were rabbit hunting once and at the end of the hunt we were loading beagles and one stank like hell. We couldn’t figure out what it had gotten into. Finally someone confessed to doing the deed next to the trucks that morning. Dog ended up rolling in it. Poor beagle ran around the trucks for a while whining at everyone to try and get loaded up.

True story, we were rabbit hunting once and at the end of the hunt we were loading beagles and one stank like hell. We couldn’t figure out what it had gotten into. Finally someone confessed to doing the deed next to the trucks that morning. Dog ended up rolling in it. Poor beagle ran around the trucks for a while whining at everyone to try and get loaded up.

I have a buddy who watched deer dogs get come in to him after just relieving the coffee pains. He swears that dog flipped a log up in the air like a snickers bar and just gulped it. No rolling or nothing.

When he got back to the truck he saw broadhead gathering his dogs back up and that hound was giving him kisses all over his face. He couldn't bring himself to tell him what that pooch had just done.