Why do we burry our poop?

Poser

WKR
In some of the hunting FB groups, I’ve seen people poop shaming by posting pics of people’s leavings (message being, “hey, y’all, bury your poop and your TP so our Public lands don’t look like this) and you would be amazed at the amount people who come out of the woodwork to passionately defend the practice of being a surface shitter.

The defense is usually this: “what about all of the animal poop in the woods?”

Also, I’d venture that this same camp of folks are the ones who are quick to rush to the defense of pics of wanton waste with the ol’ “what if that guy cut himself real bad and had to get out of the woods quickly?” How come when this happens, the “cut” always happens immediately after the backstraps are removed?

Yeah I'll bury the doo from here on out. Just a simple gesture that goes a long ways in saying I respect this land..

So are you guys packing a little shovel into the backcountry with you? I kick out a hole with my boot and the kick the dirt over it and put some rocks on top of that. I’m not packing a hand shovel with me on hunts.

sndmn11

WKR
So are you guys packing a little shovel into the backcountry with you? I kick out a hole with my boot and the kick the dirt over it and put some rocks on top of that. I’m not packing a hand shovel with me on hunts.
Here's you a mil spec poo shovel made in the USA

I have a plastic trowel looking guy in my squat bag, but I can kick a hole in the soft soil around a pine just as easily.

Stid2677

WKR
The military taught us that the main purpose is to prevent flies and other insects from crawling around in shit then landing on your food or water sources, spreading disease. Don't be a "Surface Shitter" :)

I dated a lady who was all about camping and the outdoors. She had two dogs. This was the summer before I learned I had celiacs so I would consistently have the shits of all forms, suddenly, emergency style, and sometimes they were endless.
One of her dogs loved eating shit, and therefore he loved me because I shit so much. I would walk a half mile out from camp, cheeks clenched keeping the gluten fury contained in my body to attempt to get far enough away. It never worked. That dog would disappear for a few hours, and come back with his head covered in my bowel squirts, TP stuck in his gums, and I would barf.
FUNNY!!

1/2 mile? F that! I wouldn't have gone more than 50yards to see that shit (literally)!!! That's funny as hell!

I always thought burying shit was the dumbest thing ever. Never done it. If a bear pokes his nose in my tent with TP stuck to it, maybe I'll change my ways. 'Til then, watch where you step, and if you step wrong find a stick if you're wearring vibram soles....

Last edited:

Poser

WKR

A Titanium trowel will save you save you time and effort, particularly if the soil is rocky because you can dig around the rocks. In much of this area, it’s exceedingly difficult to dig a hole of any value with your boot or a stick.

gexpro

WKR
The blue nitrile gloves are perfect for your wiping hand, and then you are able to gather up the TP and as you remove the glove the TP is contained in the now-inside-out glove. And that little trick makes packing out ass-wipes a little more doable.... and may be an explanation for your observations. Obviously, having a glove on the "clean-up" hand helps keep things a bit more sanitary as well. I hate seeing TP scattered around the woods.

def going to do this now.. i cant stand seeing TP scattered around either from other people.

Poser

WKR

Rich M

WKR
Sanitary. Prettier. Less stink. More respectful of others.

and pick up yer paper, or bury it too.

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
I actually was convinced to start using one on a bikepacking trip. Partner had one, I borrowed it once for some duty in rocky terrain and I was sold. With that in mind, I’ve loaned my out and 2 or 3 people went joke and bought one.

New Improved Deuce(R) Ultralight Backpacking Potty Trowel - Now in 3 Sizes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BFHHBRG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_T7SRF8CZNME8V3Y0G9WS
Either that man has extremely large hands, or I'm gonna need them to develop a #4 'deuce' trowel....