Why do we burry our poop?

Gobbler36

WKR
Yup in the end of 2019, an avalanche blocked hwy 50 to tahoe so all the sacramento/san fran idiots got stuck in a blizzard on their way to go skiing. Freeway and side roads were packed with no way through my mountain town which is halfway to tahoe, and theres no way around. They ended up parking on the freeway/side roads for 8-10 hours, blocking emergency vehicles, locals, and snow plows from going anywhere. None were prepared, many ran out of gas, and by 12pm, they started shitting in the streets and even on a business’s doorsteps that was closed. I drove a mile on the wrong side of the road to pick up my wife and kid who had to leave her car at a local parking lot due to being blocked in by all the flatlanders.

No one despises CA people more than me, and if you sell your house in a free state to someone from here, please vet them or you are helping perpetuate the spread of the disease. Shit covered streets will be coming to a town near you if you dont stop it. And these are well off yuppies, not just the homeless....
Couldn’t be more well said

Teaspoon

FNG
For the same reason a decent person puts down the toilet lid at the construction site Porta John. Nobody wants to look at your poop.

I have a video somewhere of my wife stepping in human shit.
My son and I were dying of laughter as she was dry heaving.
Burying it seems like a decent idea.

Button

WKR
Surface shitters are disgusting. A human dump on the ground is a blight upon the landscape. Seeing animal poop isn’t gross but human shit is. In the psychological reasoning, I’m not sure but speculation would take longer than burying your Taco Bell assplosion or your compacted hemorrhoid aggravating freight train destined for pain.

bsnedeker

WKR
Surface shitters are disgusting. A human dump on the ground is a blight upon the landscape. Seeing animal poop isn’t gross but human shit is. In the psychological reasoning, I’m not sure but speculation would take longer than burying your Taco Bell assplosion or your compacted hemorrhoid aggravating freight train destined for pain.
There's your problem... you're hunting within shitting distance of a taco bell which, if memory serves, is about 2 miles.

Get a bit further back and you're in mountain house shitting territory and most of us are decent enough to bury it!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Saw a book once at MEC called "How to shit in the woods". I still do not get why they had to write a whole book about it....

SwiftShot

WKR
I’ve seen a couple people give the contamination reason, but how is ours any different than say an elks? I’m way out of my lane as to what I know about at this point
Many zoological diseases do not pass easily to people. Human feces will spread to humans guaranteed. Cholera just pops to mind. If you ever played Oregon Trail as a kid you know why. We all died of dysentery. Guardia is another great one. Feces run off to streams is very dangerous.

Saw a book once at MEC called "How to shit in the woods". I still do not get why they had to write a whole book about it....
Lol. I have that book! Its kept in my hunting tote/bin for novelty. It was a gift and I haven't read it all yet since I am not much of a reader...maybe 1 chapter 10 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I am never packing that out. Always bury it and burn the tp in the same spot

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
There are a few stories of to burners starting big Forrest fires so be careful. I tend to cover mine with the poop. based on reading some of the backpacker rags, it breaks down pretty fast.

Cholera outbreaks (caused by feces at and in water sources) wiped out many American Indian tribes and pioneers heading West. The disease is still present in some Sub-Saharan countries. Mostly eradicated in North America with modern sanitation.

SmartSelect_20230117_063903_Drive.jpg

I'd wager disease spreading human fecal matter is somewhere around 1:1,000,000 (if not more) compared to all nature shitting animals throughout history.

It's unsightly, and you'll feel refined. shit, wipe, Chuck a log on the log, let nature do its thing.

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
I think it all depends on the location, density of others using the land and common sense.
I can see burying or packing it out if you are a rafter next to a river, in a heavily used camping/hiking area or near your own or others camp, but I'm usually doing my business miles in, in some pretty remote area. I'm lucky to ever see another hunter. I usually pick an obscure deadfall to squat over and that's it - maybe kick some ground litter over it. If by chance, another hunter happens to defy the one in a million odds and finds that exact deadfall with my poop next it in those thousands of acres of wilderness, they will have to deal with the trauma of seeing my poop.

Decomposes much slower. But you can step on a filled in cat hole without getting thick, stinky, bacteria infested human waste on your boots. TP is probably another reason. Since people are starting to pack out their TP, it might not be terrible to leave poop on the ground in truly wild places.
Never heard of anyone packing out their soiled TP?

IdahoElk

WKR
When I'm in the backcountry it's nice to think you're the only human to have set foot in that portion of Elk paradise, finding a pile of toilet paper and poop really wrecks that feeling, that's why I bury it, not for me but the next guy hunting the area.

Ratbeetle

WKR
When I'm in the backcountry it's nice to think you're the only human to have set foot in that portion of Elk paradise, finding a pile of toilet paper and poop really wrecks that feeling, that's why I bury it, not for me but the next guy hunting the area.
Several years back, I was archery hunting the Bells back in a secluded drainage and hadn't seen another person for days. It was nice since the Bells can be pretty busy. I was following a trail up a steep ridge and came across a fresh pile of human crap and tp dead center in the middle of the trail. Lazy scumbag couldn't even be bothered to move off to the side of the trail.

Not long after that, I heard the guy bugling above me on the mountain. So I changed my plans and dedicated the rest of my day to screwing with him. I had that guy chasing my bugles all over the drainage, made him give up every bit and then some of that 1000'+ he climbed up the mountain that day. Surface crappers are garbage.

hikenhunt

WKR
Several years back, I was archery hunting the Bells back in a secluded drainage and hadn't seen another person for days. It was nice since the Bells can be pretty busy. I was following a trail up a steep ridge and came across a fresh pile of human crap and tp dead center in the middle of the trail. Lazy scumbag couldn't even be bothered to move off to the side of the trail.

Not long after that, I heard the guy bugling above me on the mountain. So I changed my plans and dedicated the rest of my day to screwing with him. I had that guy chasing my bugles all over the drainage, made him give up every bit and then some of that 1000'+ he climbed up the mountain that day. Surface crappers are garbage.
Haha wow that is pretty good, hopefully you got the right guy!