Why do you hunt?

I figured since everyone’s seasons are about to open, I would share my story to how and why I became a hunter and went back to traditional archery. Feel free to comment why you choose to be a hunter, or even the feelings you get when outdoors. Thanks and good luck to all this season! God bless.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
My Dad was a salesman for Garcia back in the day. He sold to all the big wholesalers in the Northeast. They'd always give him gear to bring home for me. So I had my first bow and a ton of arrows I believe before I was 5. I ran around in the woods and shot at anything that moved. I was hooked. Hunting and fishing. As I got older and gained more exposure to firearms my hunting branched out. The only thing I'm sorry for are the years I made poor choices and didn't hunt.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The reality of it, in a world so removed from reality.

The blood on your hands, the sweat in you hat or shirt, the immersion in the food chain. Being a part of the most elemental aspect of human history other than love, sex, children and death.

I love to hike, and people I know seem to think that being in the woods hiking is just like hunting. But I am no where near as connected to my surroundings when I am hiking as when I am hunting. When I hunt, I am slow and deliberate, looking, listening, and stalking silently. When I hike, I'm on a walk enjoying the scenery and fresh air.

And I like to eat meat.

I think for me there is a whole bunch of reasons. Like Elkdreamer said, I like to carry on the tradition my Dad taught me as well. I love being in the woods, I love the adrenaline rush when I find the animal I'm after. I love being disconnected from every day life, not having cell reception is probably one of the greatest feelings in the world! I like watching animals that have no idea I'm there. I like the taste of wild game. Probably my favorite part about hunting is watching new people get into it and take their first animal, I was next to my niece when she took her first deer in Wyoming a couple years ago and experiencing that was incredibly cool. Man I cant wait till my seasons open up!!

ozyclint

WKR
The reality of it, in a world so removed from reality.

The blood on your hands, the sweat in you hat or shirt, the immersion in the food chain. Being a part of the most elemental aspect of human history other than love, sex, children and death.

I love to hike, and people I know seem to think that being in the woods hiking is just like hunting. But I am no where near as connected to my surroundings when I am hiking as when I am hunting. When I hunt, I am slow and deliberate, looking, listening, and stalking silently. When I hike, I'm on a walk enjoying the scenery and fresh air.

And I like to eat meat.
When I'm hiking I feel like just an observer of nature. When I'm hunting I'm actively participating in nature.

Carrying on the tradition.
Meat.
It’s fun and rewarding.

Years ago I probably would have had some part of nature speech. There is a connection for sure but to keep it simple, I just like to be out there away from everything. And I like a full freezer.

I grew up 70 yards from the woods. We were always making trails, exploring, discovering and adventuring. When I was in 2nd grade I was two miles out of town digging night crawlers with my brother and his friend at night. I got ticked because they wouldn't let me use the flashlight so I jumped on my bike and headed home. In the dark. On the road. Halfway home a car came. It was a bunch of teenagers who were probably shocked to see a small kid on a bike at night without a light out in the country. They pulled over, probably to help. By the time they had piled out of the car I had dragged my bike into the ditch dropped it and ran into the woods. In the dark. Where it was safe. I chose the woods at night over people. I was 7 years old. That hasn't changed. The woods is safety. The woods is peaceful. It is where I feel most comfortable. The woods is my refuge. That's why I hunt.

LLB

Lil-Rokslider
I feel man's presence in the towns and cities. I feel God's presence in the woods. I don't think anyone can hunt and observe nature's interaction without knowing that this was all planned by a divine being. The woods is my church where I feel closest to God. I can go into the woods, be still and feel and see God's handiwork.

I also was born into it. Cajun on my mother's side, good ole country people on my father's side. Spent time with both grandfathers who still did things the old way. My father hunted, sat on stands with him at age 5. Started hunting on my own at age 12 with a 12 guage shotgun. It's as much a part of me as anything else. I really don't know what I would do if I couldn't hunt anymore.

Last edited:

manitou1

WKR
Because I HAVE to!!! It is part of me.
The outdoors is the only place I feel comfortable, safe, and can just "be". It's where I belong. Born 150 years late! Like stated above: As a hiker I feel like an observer, as a hunter I am a participant... an actual part of the natural world.
I see our Creator in everything out there. He is quite the artist. There are no right angles and straight lines. Everything is imperfect, yet perfect. The trees, the rocks, the streams.

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
I hunt because I enjoy it all.....from buying gear to utilizing gear, from killing animals to eating them, from scouting to actual hunting, just being still in the woods/fields enjoying the peace of it all and most of all the challange of outwitting animals that make their living by not being outwitted.

A connection to a time where self reliance was necessary.
Preparing for a time when self reliance will be necessary again.
For the reminder that the sterile society we have created is the exception and not the rule.
To show my children that we are to be stewards of the earth.
Also, I eat a lot of meat and its cheaper this way....or so I tell myself.