Why do you hunt?

The reality of it, in a world so removed from reality.

The blood on your hands, the sweat in you hat or shirt, the immersion in the food chain. Being a part of the most elemental aspect of human history other than love, sex, children and death.

I love to hike, and people I know seem to think that being in the woods hiking is just like hunting. But I am no where near as connected to my surroundings when I am hiking as when I am hunting. When I hunt, I am slow and deliberate, looking, listening, and stalking silently. When I hike, I'm on a walk enjoying the scenery and fresh air.

And I like to eat meat.
100% this.

I started out as a mountain biker/hiker/backpacker. Starting hunting a few years back, I'm definitely more engaged in what's going on around me; I'm more focused in a distracted world.
And honestly hunting and scouting makes hiking and backpacking more fun because it also serves purpose - to put meat on the table for my family, which makes me proud when I'm successful.

I saw this thread title and immediately thought about making a joke post in the vein of "Because I like to kill things".

How would you guys feel if someone genuinely posted that they like to hunt because they enjoy killing animals? Is that actually wrong?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I don’t think anybody here would tell you it’s wrong. i think it’s different for everybody. There is a fierce adrenalized excitement that comes with killing, and I seek it out and keep doing it… so I must like it. Theres a feeling of satisfaction at accomplishing a difficult task and having meat for the winter. OTOH I always feel a sadness for the buck or bull. I can put myself pretty easily in their place. That I have taken a thing of tremendous beauty from the world is not lost on me.

I like to eat venison and consider it a important part of my diet. Has pretty much replaced beef and chicken. Also I love to be in the woods. The place where I hunt has a lot of deer and I can fill up the freezer.

jbuzz229

FNG
I hunt to be able to spend time outdoors and be able to harvest quality wild meat. Nothing better in my opinion.

Ahazen622

FNG
Majority of family hunted at some time or another, was always amazed at seeing mounts on the wall. Most kids would watch cartoons on Saturday mornings, I got up early to watch hunting. Unfortunately just don’t get out as much as I’d like to

It clears my head and allows me to live in the moment. Plus I prefer grass-fed, 100% organic, free range meat devoid of hormones, antibiotics and steroids.